Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

bbc website shows it all as rain

Small mild sector to the west of the trough may give initial rain to the far west and Ireland. Mostly Snow though. Look at the latest UK Fax for detail.

Posted

bbc website shows it all as rain

Are you talking about the graphics of the UK, where you can slide from left to right to see the ppn?

If so, I noticed that. However, when I then click on the forecast for here, it shows as snow.

I'm just wondering whether, due to recent events and the 0oC Isotherm forecast, that there is a possibility of rain.

We can only wait and see unfortunately.

On a positive note, we are now 36 hours in to the 72 hours when we started really talking about the first chance of snow tomorrow. Overall, it has stayed at least, to some extent, ok for us.

Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Slight breeze from NNW has just given me a windchill of -9.8c. Temp now -4.7c and dewpoint of -6.7c

Posted

Bad news according to BBC Radio Derby...

The BBC weather presenter said it's unlikely we'll get any snow, because it's going to stay in the east... I'd say it's probably unlikely for the West Midlands too.

To be honest it feels like we are getting all the downsides of winter with none of the good stuff... and the longer term predictions for Feb are for a return to the "even larger teapot" with temps around 7c and rain :cold:

Posted

Slight breeze from NNW has just given me a windchill of -9.8c. Temp now -4.7c and dewpoint of -6.7c

My lad has got Football practise tonight @7pm in rural Moulton, not looking forward to standing there for 1 hour.

cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Interesting to read in the Scottish thread that conservatories and guttering have been collapsing. As I have said before be careful what you wish for.

Bleedin hell its freezing this morning still -5C here now :)

Incredible temps still widespread.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiaktgraph?ART=karte&LANG=en&JJ=2010&MM=01&TT=04&TIME=0930&TYP=temperatur&KEY=MID&TIME=1262598867

Temps will struggle to go above zero almost everyday and BBC has already downgraded their temps for tomorrow, i cant see more than 1C tomorrow in the midlands and thats the warmest day this week :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I can still see potential for the midlands to get snow tomorrow. Not the huge depths other areas in the east willl get but definite coverings and with cold temps I doubt it would thaw easily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just had a driving lesson, some of the roads are deathtraps! Already resigned to having my test cancelled next week.

Bitterly cold out there though. Got down to -6.7c this morning, still -4.5c!

Posted

Just had a driving lesson, some of the roads are deathtraps! Already resigned to having my test cancelled next week.

Bitterly cold out there though. Got down to -6.7c this morning, still -4.5c!

I had my test 2 years ago yesterday, and was myself worried about it being cancelled! If I'd have had it further north, it may well have been! There were a few flakes falling in Bournemouth in the lesson before the test, but fortunately, nothing significant and I passed!

Rrea00120080103.gif

Posted

I don't understand how the interactive BBC map has rain for the Midlands tonight... how on earth is that possible with these temps? :unknw:

its not all about the outside temperatures, unfortunately weather fronts affecting the uk often contain "mild sectors", and this one is no different, meaning those with elevation, and perhaps further east are more at risk. i wouldnt be getting excited at tonights prospects, just going to be a wet night probably, with a lucky few getting a covering.

Posted

I had my test 2 years ago yesterday, and was myself worried about it being cancelled! If I'd have had it further north, it may well have been! There were a few flakes falling in Bournemouth in the lesson before the test, but fortunately, nothing significant and I passed!

Rrea00120080103.gif

I have resigned myself to the fact that it will be cancelled, it's next Tuesday.

My last test was October 14th which obviously I failed, it has been cancellation after cancellation since, getting really annoying. This now means there is even more pressure on me to pass when I finally get to take my 2nd attempt!

Posted

OK. Just following on with the 06z GFS Analysis.

Overall, looking ok.

H500 are below the 528 damn line( in fact, on memory, below the 520 damn line).

850's are below -5oC - As an added bonus, the warmer sector (not exactly warm, and was only really effecting the far west reaches of our region (and further southern parts on top of this)) is now no longer about on the 06z.

Main concern has to be the Isotherm, which whilst is not exactly at a great elevation, locations closer to 0m ASL will perhaps see more sleet than snow. I wouldn't go with rain, but in the same breath, i'm not going to rule it out either.

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Can't believe how much the Midlands is actually missing out on this... I have people on my Facebook from various locations moaning about "Yet more snow" - it'd be nice to actually have more than a light dusting (which is what we have at Ashby De La Zouch today), though, that's more than I've had at home... :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Great fax charts.

Stop panicking people, I'm willing to bet tehre will be some surprises this week!

Lovely and cold too, we're off in a bit to feed the ducks on the canal as my children find it hilarious when the ducks skid across the ice chasing bread!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

A throughly unpleasant cycle to work - lethal streets meaning walking with bike half the way and cycling dead slow the other. Freezing cold to the point the my (gloved) hands went numb.

This weather seemed interesting and fun during the holidays but during the working week it's anything but. A decent dump of snow might give some better traction at least though.

Posted

Oh and another thing. My school haven't bothered to grit any paths at all! Considering the caretakers have had all Christmas to do something it is very poor. The car park is an ice rink, would put money on someone having a nasty accident today.

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Oh and another thing. My school haven't bothered to grit any paths at all! Considering the caretakers have had all Christmas to do something it is very poor. The car park is an ice rink, would put money on someone having a nasty accident today.

Yeah and you watch, as soon as the snow comes they will shut the schools as quick as you can blink!, always the same with most of them anyway.

Posted

Have the Fax charts changed? I thought the front coming down from the North was a cold front? Seems to be showing as an occluded front now?