Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Disappointing forecast from Dan Corbett on Countryfile. All the action will be reserved for the east coast as expected, but mention that in the model thread at your own risk!

Posted

Fridays snow seems delayed until the weekend now on Countryfile forecast.

For the Midlands, a good chance of snow from Tuesday onwards. Not bucketloads, but certainly some snow.

Posted

I remember Clive Lloyd running off the pitch with his face looking totally astonishedlaugh.gif

Whats your thoughts Dan on this coming week? My kids have been giving me dirty looks after i promised them snow yesterday.rofl.gif

Also would like to say I've booked this week off, so the fella who is doing my run next week will have his hands fulllaugh.gif

LOL. Well they won't have to wait much longer. I think Northants could well see some substantial falls of snow over the coming week. The two main events to watch are Tuesday night into Wednesday and Friday/Saturday where organised bands of snow if all goes to plan will arrive on our doorstep. (the last is far from nailed) But heavy snow showers cannot be ruled out on Thursday either.

Now we've seen before the effect this succession of snowfalls can have. Anything which does fall and stick will lie for days in these conditions and as soon as anything else comes along it will just serve to top it up, so towards the weekend we could be looking at some very significant accumulations across the county.

It's going to be very interesting to see if we can beat the 16 days of consecutive snowcover we experienced in February 2009- in itself fairly remarkable. Is it plausible we could go on to beat it less than a year later?! :shok::diablo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Another new thread...

Love the fact this topic is pinned - is it because the Midlands are the most important? :diablo:

Posted

At least the rain shown on country tracks this morning for tuesday was snow on countryfile, just shows how quickly things change.

Posted

Disappointing forecast from Dan Corbett on Countryfile. All the action will be reserved for the east coast as expected, but mention that in the model thread at your own risk!

wasnt too different from earlier tbh, perhaps a touch more realistic on fridays event

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

wasnt too different from earlier tbh, perhaps a touch more realistic on fridays event

still FI that yet, still think we need the high further north, gfs and ukmo do look good though, seems only Scotland will escape, but long way off

Posted

LOL. Well they won't have to wait much longer. I think Northants could well see some substantial falls of snow over the coming week. The two main events to watch are Tuesday night into Wednesday and Friday/Saturday where organised bands of snow if all goes to plan will arrive on our doorstep. (the last is far from nailed) But heavy snow showers cannot be ruled out on Thursday either.

Now we've seen before the effect this succession of snowfalls can have. Anything which does fall and stick will lie for days in these conditions and as soon as anything else comes along it will just serve to top it up, so towards the weekend we could be looking at some very significant accumulations across the county.

It's going to be very interesting to see if we can beat the 16 days of consecutive snowcover we experienced in February 2009- in itself fairly remarkable. Is it plausible we could go on to beat it less than a year later?! shok.gifcold.gif

One thing is i will never post in the East Anglia and SE thread even though we are technically 13 miles from the SE county of Bucks and about 25 miles from East Anglia county of Cambs. It is confusing coming from Northants laugh.gif even though we are in the east mids.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with what you just typed, but i wont tell the kids yetlaugh.gif remember they could be putting me into a old peoples home in another 30 years rofl.gif

Posted

Love the fact this topic is pinned - is it because the Midlands are the most important? :nea:

LOL good spot- wise Pete has obviously sussed how significant this cold spell is going to be for the Midlands and as such has warranted it worthy of a sticky. :lol:

Posted

Considering the flow, not suprising. However, not all is lost. I think Wednesday looked ok.

But, the more Eastern parts of the region, such as Northants, parts of Leics and Notts will indeed benefit. Even parts of Oxfords might do ok.

Fridays snow seems delayed until the weekend now on Countryfile forecast.

For the Midlands, a good chance of snow from Tuesday onwards. Not bucketloads, but certainly some snow.

Indeed. Overall, should be something for everyone at some point.

still FI that yet, still think we need the high further north, gfs and ukmo do look good though, seems only Scotland will escape, but long way off

Interesting you say that. Whilst not exactly warm, there is a greater indications of increasing 850's in parts of Scotland towards the end of next week.

Posted

-4.5c here now, should hopefully get below -7c tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

-4.5c here now, should hopefully get below -7c tonight.

same temp, mine -4.5C, Ive heard that tuesday's trough looks marginal? wouldnt surprise me though

Posted

One thing is i will never post in the East Anglia and SE thread even though we are technically 13 miles from the SE county of Bucks and about 25 miles from East Anglia county of Cambs. It is confusing coming from Northants laugh.gif even though we are in the east mids.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with what you just typed, but i wont tell the kids yetlaugh.gif remember they could be putting me into a old peoples home in another 30 years rofl.gif

LOL! It is confusing-- especially since the TV lot like to lump us in with East Anglia on the regionals. Until recently ITV Anglia used to put out two different bulletins for the west (Northants, Cambs, Herts/Beds/Bucks) & east of the region (Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex) but that has now ceased due to crippling budget cuts so we have to make do with "local" news and weather that is filmed and centred around Norwich, over 100 miles away! Ridiculous when you think about it, might as well get the London News. :nea:

On a related note, the BBC Look East forecast was superb earlier. Jim Bacon didn't beat around the bush as far as snow potential was concerned.

Posted

same temp, mine -4.5C, Ive heard that tuesday's trough looks marginal? wouldnt surprise me though

The usual routine these troughs go in is that at first they look potential great and we start thinking were finally going to get some snow,

around 2-3 days before the precipitation starts downgrading and the warm sector starts to get bigger and then by the time it arrives

the warm sector is right over us with a fragmented area of light rain & sleet.

Posted

It's not as bad as it was from the last few runs, the mild sector has shrunk and moved off into the irish sea, so we should be ok in the whole midlands as far as it looks.

Posted

The usual routine these troughs go in is that at first they look potential great and we start thinking were finally going to get some snow,

around 2-3 days before the precipitation starts downgrading and the warm sector starts to get bigger and then by the time it arrives

the warm sector is right over us with a fragmented area of light rain & sleet.

Providing the LOW stays offshore- which it should do, I don't see much scope for mild sectors. The source is very cold.

Posted

Providing the LOW stays offshore- which it should do, I don't see much scope for mild sectors. The source is very cold.

Believe me something will go wrong, considering every single snow event forecast for here since 18th December has done.

Posted

LOL! It is confusing-- especially since the TV lot like to lump us in with East Anglia on the regionals. Until recently ITV Anglia used to put out two different bulletins for the west (Northants, Cambs, Herts/Beds/Bucks) & east of the region (Norfolk/Suffolk/Essex) but that has now ceased due to crippling budget cuts so we have to make do with "local" news and weather that is filmed and centred around Norwich, over 100 miles away! Ridiculous when you think about it, might as well get the London News. laugh.gif

On a related note, the BBC Look East forecast was superb earlier. Jim Bacon didn't beat around the bush as far as snow potential was concerned.

Reminds me off my childhood in Bolton, no models in those days. the weatherman would say Snow for the north west of England i would wake up next morning and NO snow but it had snowed in Carlisle, Cumbria on the Scottish borderslaugh.gif

Missed the BBC Look East forecast...was he Ramping??laugh.gif

Edited by Lancs_Northants

Posted

-4.8c now! Temperature really is plummeting. The night of 5/6 Jan 2009, when I recorded -8.9c, it didn't reach -4.8c until 2.30am!

Posted

-4.8c now! Temperature really is plummeting. The night of 5/6 Jan 2009, when I recorded -8.9c, it didn't reach -4.8c until 2.30am!

Feels bitter outside here!!

Posted

-8 is certainly possible. a severe frost by anyones reckoning anyway.

Posted

-8 is certainly possible. a severe frost by anyones reckoning anyway.

Yup, if I don't get an ice day tomorrow I will be bitterly disappointed...excuse the pun.