Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Is the heavy snow still on for tonight and tommorrow?

Looks like the front will arrive close to midnight and hopefully give a few cms. Still looks like showers will follow during tomorrow and hopefully Wednesday.

19 days snowcover now, I think we can manage a month, especially up here in the higher areas.

It's horrible being back at work, only good thing is it means I've got to come to Consett.

EDIT: Love that warning!

Think I should bring my sleeping bag to work tomorrow!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Looks like the front will arrive close to midnight and hopefully give a few cms. Still looks like showers will follow during tomorrow and hopefully Wednesday.

19 days snowcover now, I think we can manage a month, especially up here in the higher areas.

It's horrible being back at work, only good thing is it means I've got to come to Consett.

Could be getting an early finish tomorrow Mark...!! :oops:..!! I'm back at college tomorrow, I just have a 15 min walk so no travelling problems for me, but i'm sure people further afield may have major difficulty so i could finish before i even start..!!, disruptive week ahead and when it hits the south it will be all head-line stuff,.....as usual... Just heard on the news that Fife's council up in Scotland have run out of grit, wonder how many other councils around the country will be facing similar dilemmas as this cold spell progresses.

Posted

if you can get there :D - put it in the car just incase :oops:

Posted

BBC forecast has been updated on their website if you run through the sequence here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Monday 21:00hrs shows the band over to the west. It looks like they may be suggesting that the band will reform in to longer precipitation around Newcastle area.

It shows showers through out the rest of the week.

Posted

BBC forecast has been updated on their website if you run through the sequence here:http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Monday 21:00hrs shows the band over to the west. It looks like they may be suggesting that the band will reform in to longer precipitation around Newcastle area.

It shows showers through out the rest of the week.

Area of heavier precipiation develops over SW Scotland then pushes down N England. Heavy snow shrs pack into NE England on Strong NE Wind until this clears south in the late evening.

12z precipitation update on link

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Mark

Posted

I wonder if we could break some low temp records towards the end of the week.

GFS min temp charts are showing some extreme cold, especially Friday am, looks like -20C in parts of N England!

Posted

I wonder if we could break some low temp records towards the end of the week.

GFS min temp charts are showing some extreme cold, especially Friday am, looks like -20C in parts of N England!

I doubt anywhere will get close to -20C. -16c was coldest recorded temp of the 00's in England/Wales. I would imagine Shap could get close to that figure at some point.

Mark

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Which side of the vally are you on? North/South? You near Mowden Hall School?

On the south side so never see the sun all winter. Not sure how mowden hall area is doing but heard the A69 is passable with care!

Posted

On the south side so never see the sun all winter. Not sure how mowden hall area is doing but heard the A69 is passable with care!

Ah cool, I grew up on the north side! I miss it, living in town is a pain when these colder weather conditions come and you guys have snow whilst we are in the wet sleety stuff! Hopefully tonight / tomorrow will be snow for all.

Area of heavier precipiation develops over SW Scotland then pushes down N England. Heavy snow shrs pack into NE England on Strong NE Wind until this clears south in the late evening.

12z precipitation update on link

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Mark

Just looked at this. It does show the initial band being very light over NE, then steadily getting heavier to our south. However after it clears to looks like many heavier showers pack in from the east.

I hope this next 48 hours is as fun as it looks currently.

Posted

Great video.:unsure:

Icicles are getting bigger by the day!:unsure:

Great photos.

On the second one you could almost imagine the snow is 10ft deep!

Posted

Anyone know what it's like at Newcastle Airport? I've got my car in long term parking there, coming back in on Friday. Wonder if I'll be able to get home. After a 14 hour trip, I kind of need my car to start and the parking lot to have been cleared. :)

Posted

Anyone know what it's like at Newcastle Airport? I've got my car in long term parking there, coming back in on Friday. Wonder if I'll be able to get home. After a 14 hour trip, I kind of need my car to start and the parking lot to have been cleared. :lol:

getting out of the car park should be OK as there are no hills. What you will need to be carefull of are the main roads as they havn't been cleared very well this year. By Friday the worst (or best:)) should be over, but i think some nowcasting and watching some of the webcams may be in order.

You've always got the metro :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Ive got a funny feeling this thread will become much more active soon :) How much can i expect overnight and tommorrow and will school be closed? biggrin.gif

Posted

Ive got a funny feeling this thread will become much more active soon :) How much can i expect overnight and tommorrow and will school be closed? biggrin.gif

at least 2 meters and your school will be shut forever! :drinks:

(this was my dream when I was at school)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Max 0.6C, and a stunning sunset. For the second day in a row!

Posted

John Kettley has just been on news24 talking about the present cold spell and concluded to say that for the next 10 days at least the north and east, particularily, will get a battering...!!!

Posted

Max 0.6C, and a stunning sunset. For the second day in a row!

Hi TWS - another glorious, if not freezing day here too. A little overcast in the afternoon.

Sorry to sound like a stuck record, but could I get your opinion on the next 24/36 hours? The met invent feature is showing some intense shower activity after the main band passes through - your thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The band that passes overnight should be snow- it's similar to the band we had late on 19 December, perhaps a little less intense, but also with temperatures about a degree lower, so we shouldn't have any of that slushy stuff near the coast, it should be snow across the whole region. About 3-5cm is likely, generally, from it.

I'm due to go south to Norwich on the train tomorrow and this band that we'll be getting overnight is due to pep up as it heads south. I'm hoping, for selfish reasons, that it waits until my train gets past it before it peps up substantially- otherwise I'll be on that train for a while! On the other side of the coin, if I do make it south, I should find myself in a dumping ground in Norwich itself.

Back to the North East and I expect frequent heavy snow showers to head in from the northeast late on the 5th and continue through to the 7th, before becoming light and scattered by the 8th. I stand by my earlier prediction that 10-20cm will be widespread across the region, but locally there will be more than 20cm and locally less than 10cm. This will make it comfortably the region's biggest snow event since February 1991 and the most prolonged since February 1986.

Posted

TWS do you think ill get school off this week i go back tommorrow?

Posted

Not tomorrow. Slight possibility on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday depending on how much snow you need for the school to shut.

Posted

Not tomorrow. Slight possibility on Wednesday/Thursday/Friday depending on how much snow you need for the school to shut.

Damn oh well lol :p and since most my teachers dont live in this area. Last year on that February snowfall we almost got shut but just enough teachers made it in.

Posted

Thanks for the rundown TWS, I hope you are right.

There are signs that there is some milder air with the band moving south which I am a little worried about. The BBC forecast seems to wrap the front around newcasltle / sunderland / sheilds / boro etc and reforming 50-100 miles south and increase intensity.

The latest outputs also favour places further south so it may after looking favorable become a little bit of a disapointment in terms of huge snowfall potential.

I am of course a novice and dont have much experiance, but just my feeling with the latest mutterings and forecasting.

I still stand by you and hope you are correct about the 10-20cms though!

Posted

Sounds great TWS!

Even if this was the start of the cold spell this would look like a great event, but considering places like Consett already have 8-10 inches this is looking really special! :p

I'll try to get out on my lunchbreaks and get some pics in Consett, that's if I can get here in the first place!