Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I love the model output thread, and as some of you know i like to post some 'Classic Quotes', heres one for you....

"We are on the brink of what could go down in history as one of the greatest cold/snowy spells in the past 50 years."

wallbash.gif

It's always nice to be quoted :air_kiss:

I stand by that and all amount of wall bashing emoticons won't sway me from that I'm afraid.

If you consider the extremely snowy and very cold weather so many in the UK (there are places outside Bristol) have experienced SO FAR and then take the VERY rare synoptics on offer at the moment which not only give the country a great shot at very snowy conditions this week but also at a prolonged & sustained cold period which could involve more snow events. THEN... you may wish to consider that this would only take us up to mid January which leaves two months of the winter STILL to go! I'm sure that even you could accept that this COULD go down as one of (it was originally underlined for people like yourself who I know were going to get their knickers in a twist about it) anywhos, it COULD go down as one of the greatest cold/snowy spells in the past 50 years.

Could not though.

Edited by s4lancia

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

oh dear seems like my mates think me banging on about the weather have noticed it http://www.facebook.com/crute?v=wall#/pages/Nick-Jones-Weather-Man/231485942954?ref=ts

hahaha :air_kiss:

LOL

" Pete Bell I might report this page for being inaccurate. Its 1°C outside atm, Nick you lie! "

Tbh, my boss's are getting annoyed also. However last time, i told them it would snow, they dismissed it.

Shortly after they had a phonecall saying the roads were blocked.

Anywho.

I tend to keep a low profile now unless i know exactly whats going on and that normally involves a lot of chart reading that I just cant be bothered to do at the moment.

Posted

LOL

" Pete Bell I might report this page for being inaccurate. Its 1°C outside atm, Nick you lie! "

Tbh, my boss's are getting annoyed also. However last time, i told them it would snow, they dismissed it.

Shortly after they had a phonecall saying the roads were blocked.

Anywho.

I tend to keep a low profile now unless i know exactly whats going on and that normally involves a lot of chart reading that I just cant be bothered to do at the moment.

Well I can certainly see what Ian was saying WRT the LP end of this week

The front wraps back round the LP, which centres itself further west than initially forecast and spreads showers through a good deal of england and i'd imagine towards eastern wales too

The risk of the snowfall mentioned too for the weekend

What a week ahead!

SK

Posted

Alot to recommend the Tues/Wed event still, see below.

Ian has got me puzzled of the Friday comment, I can't see much in the models, except a low that might get shoved along the south coast giving some widespread and tbh maybe heavy snow.

Also just seen Dan on the countryfile forecast and he basically had snow in some part of the SW every day from Tuesday morning onwards.

BTW I've not even mentioned the big weekend event from the GFS, just a bit far out for me.

post-6326-12625481801713_thumb.png

post-6326-12625481880213_thumb.gif

post-6326-12625482242013_thumb.gif

Posted

It's always nice to be quoted air_kiss.gif

I stand by that and all amount of wall bashing emoticons won't sway me from that I'm afraid.

If you consider the extremely snowy and very cold weather so many in the UK (there are places outside Bristol) have experienced SO FAR and then take the VERY rare synoptics on offer at the moment which not only give the country a great shot at very snowy conditions this week but also at a prolonged & sustained cold period which could involve more snow events. THEN... you may wish to consider that this would only take us up to mid January which leaves two months of the winter STILL to go! I'm sure that even you could accept that this COULD go down as one of (it was originally underlined for people like yourself who I know were going to get their knickers in a twist about it) anywhos, it COULD go down as one of the greatest cold/snowy spells in the past 50 years.

Could not though.

No twisting here.

I like to wait and see before making such statements.

There is no reason why this current pattern wont change in the next two weeks to mild sw winds which then take another 2-3 weeks to get rid of. Remember the current synoptics have been in the models since the begining of December but most people here are still waiting to see any fruition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Dry and cold here, maybe some snow early Tuesday morning

Temp -0.9c

Posted

I like to wait and see before making such statements.

Then sir, I feel weather FOREcasting may not be your thing.

Right, 18Z GFS out soon...with Tuesday now within the 42hrs timeframe, this will really start to show what may actually happen with slightly more accuracy.

I want to see that low further west that devlopes on wed.

Friday onwards is of no interest to me (to much can change) however, i would like to see the cold trend continuing of course.

Posted

18z is rolling,

Looking very good for glos / SW ( tuesday )

prectypeuktopo.png

ukwind.png

hgt300.png

h850t850eu.png

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

[irony]Brilliant[/irony]

Its all looking further East, Tues snow is minimal, and when we see wednesday, im sure its all going to be to East.

What a lark.

Posted

Wow,

Looks like snow from tues through to weds at the moment.

Please oh god please lol

18z is looking good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Yes it's looking good for us in Gloucestershire - showers penetrating well inland :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

It would make for a decent change to get a bit of snow here this winter, certainly chilly tonight headed towards -5C, if it drops off a bit more could be a possible ice day tomorrow. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Heat, Snow, Gales

Im thinking ice day here tomoz tooooo already -3.6, i think its posssible for a drop of around -6/7 possssibly 8 in the morning. we shall seeee :cold:. night allll

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Oh how we knew it was all going to be a waste of time for us in the actual SW.

Roll on June and BBQs, Beer and Chilled out evenings.

Anyhow, back to the here and now, -1C in Exeter and bone chilling in the wind ... Sherlock Holmes was good tho! ... -3C up here and cloudy, which is odd. Anyway, lots of fun on the back lanes to and from Exeter tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

It's -1.4C here, which is low considering the lowest temp this winter so far has been -3.4C. Hopefully we will beat that tonight.

Posted

-3.9 here and -4.2 in longlevens.

Posted

18z is a wiggley mess by 108hours!

Temp in Plymouth is 2.1 oc....yes 2.1oC. Almost certainly now one of the few places in the UK above freezing.

I might get my boardies on and sit outside on a deckchair.

Posted

I'd warn that most will be hoping for a synoptic outlier from the 18z, because if it were to verify after wednesday very few places away from the SE corner would see anything

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Now down to -5.3C here in Longlevens.....off to bed now early start 'n' all

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

-3.2c very chilly.

Posted

Its only 2.4c here atm as well, in fact we've only dropped lower than 0c twice since this cold spell started in mid-December, i find it very odd im not sure if the sea has some involvement in this.

I've just watched the countryfile forecast and it looks amazing i've never seen or heard a forecaster saying "don't panic" in their forecast. However in regards to the cold front he said that it would be of rain and sleet the further south west you go, but it looks to me as if its cold enough for it fall as snow everywhere the uppers are way below -5c for Tuesday/Wednesday even if there was a warm sector it would still fall as snow surely.