Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

I hate to brag, but complete white surfaces here..after the other lot in December melted away, the hills have started to see shades of Green come back on the fields, now everything is covered in a nice white again.

Heavy Snow aswell with some big flakes for the past hour.

looks like thats it for a while here,very very light fine snow probably bordering sleet now.

Temps up to 2.9 now,we need that cold air to the north to move down i'd hate to see a thaw this afternoon.

Anyone any idea when the colder air is supposed to start digging in?

:D

Posted

looks like thats it for a while here,very very light fine snow probably bordering sleet now.

Temps up to 2.9 now,we need that cold air to the north to move down i'd hate to see a thaw this afternoon.

:)

I'd say after 4pm so we should keep some snow on the ground.

Karyo

Posted

smile.gif

Taking its time, isn't it? And there was me thinking the proper cold stuff was set to return after Boxing Day. I'm very sceptical of getting anything now (probably an overreaction, but that's the mood I'm in - when "bitterly cold" weather in January delivers rain, you despair).

Posted

I think they suggest much colder air associated with the band of snow in North Eastern parts at present. Behind that tonight, there should be a clearance, and temperatures will surely plummet. The snow has finally stopped here, clear backedge to what's moving out of the region.

Think I'll go and clear the snow off the car now, as I don't want any of that hard impacted ice to form underneath the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

I hate to brag, but complete white surfaces here..after the other lot in December melted away, the hills have started to see shades of Green come back on the fields, now everything is covered in a nice white again.

Heavy Snow aswell with some big flakes for the past hour.

Excellent, I'm off to the Peak District for a hike tomorrow. Did not expect the alpine conditions of the Dales but should be nice and wintry up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Hi im pretty new to his. But i have been lurking as they say. Can anyone tell me if this snow of which i now have a 2-3 inch covering is going to continue today/tonight?

Welcome to the forum that will test your mental health to the full!!It looks like the back edge has passed thru', i wouldn't bet on any more today , but you never know, just be thankful you have some , all we have had today is RAIN :wallbash::wallbash::aggressive:

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Thankfully the sleety rain has now stopped so I am hoping to keep much of the snow cover.

If only the other band from the northeast could make it late on - it is doubtful though...

Karyo

Posted

Welcome to the forum that will test your mental health to the full!!It looks like the back edge has passed thru', i wouldn't bet on any more today , but you never know, just be thankful you have some , all we have had today is RAIN wallbash.gifwallbash.gifaggressive.gif

Sorry to hear that :aggressive: i would have thought you were getting it too plus your higher up than me. So thats it for today, Just hope it doesnt melt away. Model thread seems to be full of people saying there's going to be huge ammounts of snow... will that be up here too?

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Just had a peak at your temperature

Appley Temp 4.5C

Dewpoint 4.1C

Those are incredible temperatures considering even the warmer areas south of the region have reported massive temp drops. Tho I do confess the max dewpoint for us this morning was 2.2, now its 0.6C. Temp just about hovering on 1.8C all very marginal at best at the moment, but we have had some very wet snow / sleet when it was looking like being a very warm day indeed.

I just want to add our temps are rising again too.

My temp 2.4C

DP: 1.0C

Wind Dir: W by S, so we are back under the irish sea influence after being under the NE airflow for an hour.

Overcast with occassional light drizzle.

Yeah I have not seen any drop at all.

It always seems to be warmer in this precise location than the surrounding areas - both in the car and on my weather station. I am at about 60m I think but there is nothing between me and the sea to stop the warm air.

Posted

It's only the match Europe's been talking about....Blackpool v Ipswich in the cup. I'm not fussed about the football, but i did fancy going to tower models to buy some toys for myself.

you should beat us we are hopeless at the moment!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp @ -0.2c and stuck there for the last hour my car has re froze, very fine snow grains falling from thin cloud floating by and feeling very raw in the ne wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Sorry to hear that :excl: i would have thought you were getting it too plus your higher up than me. So thats it for today, Just hope it doesnt melt away. Model thread seems to be full of people saying there's going to be huge ammounts of snow... will that be up here too?

This link will show you all the temp/precip/pressure charts , if you don't understand them there's planty of helpful folk on here who can explain.

My link

Posted

Hi im pretty new to his. But i have been lurking as they say. Can anyone tell me if this snow of which i now have a 2-3 inch covering is going to continue today/tonight?

Still a possibility of another showery band passing south through the region between 4pm and 7pm - this should herald the arrival of colder air as the wind swings round to the NE. Further E you are in the region the more chance of seeing some further snow. I would hazard a stab at 15% chance for the westernmost areas of the region increasing to 50% for the easternmost. After that it should be a clear but very cold night for the whole of the region. Tuesday and Wednesday also looking promising on the forecast at he moment. Again I don't think it will be massive prolonged snowfall for the entire region but the favoured inland and higher altitude areas could do well. Outlook 7-10 days COLD!

:excl:

you should beat us we are hopeless at the moment!!

I think OON is an Ipswich fan ! :excl:

Thankfully the sleety rain has now stopped so I am hoping to keep much of the snow cover.

If only the other band from the northeast could make it late on - it is doubtful though...

Karyo

we need to get rid of that westerly influence mate,its a realkiller that irish sea.

Nearly 2pm now so hopefully if the skies clear the temps SHOULD start dropping.

We need no more showers today karyo,radar looks quiet so thats good news!

Posted

Still a possibility of another showery band passing south through the region between 4pm and 7pm - this should herald the arrival of colder air as the wind swings round to the NE. Further E you are in the region the more chance of seeing some further snow. I would hazard a stab at 15% chance for the westernmost areas of the region increasing to 50% for the easternmost. After that it should be a clear but very cold night for the whole of the region. Tuesday and Wednesday also looking promising on the forecast at he moment. Again I don't think it will be massive prolonged snowfall for the entire region but the favoured inland and higher altitude areas could do well. Outlook 7-10 days COLD!

cold.gif

I think OON is an Ipswich fan ! shok.gif

i am much to my sins !!!

more interrested with the streamer heading our way!!!

Posted

i am much to my sins !!!

more interrested with the streamer heading our way!!!

Yeah there's been some pretty hefty bursts of snow from that streamer and it's still being fed moisture off the North Wales coast so you might just get lucky in Ipswich :D

Posted

All white here in Macclesfield which is nice but i would like to know there is a nice load of snow over in the northeast at mo could this come over to us later on?

I think some of it might just clip us here in Macc and the east of the region later, just might then clear and frosty

Posted

Finally starting to cool here: 3.3c with dp of 2.7c

Wind direction slightly more to the north now.

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Just cleared the snow off the car from this morning falls. Very soft and easy actually, nothing icy underneath that needed scraping off, like the pre-christmas falls.

Not sure in what way our parts of the North West will be affected by the snowy band just to the North East, but I expect the usual pennines will sap a little strength from it by the time it makes it here. Probably about 4-6 hours away I would think.

Posted

N24 latest just had the front aiming in for us about 7ish, should cold enough but it seem to fizzle out as it hit Mcr, with not much passing south west past that point

Slush here now, not good when this freezes if Trafford Councils last gritting efforts were to go by

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

all gone quiet here for the last couple of hours and seems to be on a slow melt. Main roads are clear now, only side roads and car parks with snow. Fingers crossed for a top up soon