Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

I reckon even Northwich should get a dumping from this-although its only wet snow here-a 10-20 miles East/South east of me -they should get hammered with good snow.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Still 4.2C here and light rain :cold:

Fixed my weather station links too and got it up and running.

Edited by chrisbooth0070

Posted

Steady but lighter snowfall here now. I'm surprised the Hartlepool V Oldham match is still going ahead. I would have thought they have had similiar snowfall in the North East. I don't think many Oldham fans will be travelling to Hartlepool today lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Very surprised this morning, didn't expect much snow today but we've ended up with 3 inches now! Cheered me up a bit as it's not been the best start to the new year for me.

Posted

very heavy snow here now :cold: but looking at the radar it will be stopping very shortly :cold: oh well it as nice while it lasted.

Posted

So surprised to wake up to an inch of snow this morning! Got very heavy snow now, large flakes, but this sometimes turns to sleet and graupel. I'm glad I'm off for a week after today, I think I picked a good day seen as temps could get to -10 - -20 over the next week! Envious of my friend who went to Spain today too :cold:

Posted

I reckon even Northwich should get a dumping from this-although its only wet snow here-a 10-20 miles East/South east of me -they should get hammered with good snow.

I can confirm what your seeing is the same thing as me. Moderate sleet/ very wet snow. The only problem is once this cloud moves away you can expect those marginal dewpoints to slightly rise. We lost the intensity, but it's now looking a whole lot healthier for later if we can keep these temps down. Looking like those showers to the ne which are now affecting us are really starting to pack in.

Not really expecting that much, I said mild and rain, it has been that earlier this morning, but one problem we still have is a WSW wind. Unless we have very heavy burts like the last shower or until the wind swings back to the NE the air around us is from a mild direction. I think if you look at air temps over denmark and over northern western france, there are pools of warm air that haven't moved all winter, so when we get swings from wsw we are picking up some of that warmer, same is true with an easterly. I dont remotely care what people think, an easterly is not good enough. You have a tepid at best north sea (hardly cold by any stretch) and combine it with the warmer air pool over denmark, its not hard to see where the warm air comes from.

Definitely hate NE but it's the only direction at the moment where the truly cold air is. Even the north which you would expect to be colder isn't to a large degree.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Its good news to here peoples temps dropping now becuase its climbed to 2.6c here, however it is still purely snow and just when you think the tempo slows ... the big flakes start again. Amazing 3 hours without stopping and still going strong. Just hope the rest of you getting measly sleet showers can get in on some of the action in the next 3 days or so.

Posted

Still 4.2C here and light rain :cc_confused:

Fixed my weather station links too and got it up and running.

The problem for you, is your height at the moment, maybe this afternoon it will become more favourable..as temps continue to drop.

Posted

Its good news to here peoples temps dropping now becuase its climbed to 2.6c here, however it is still purely snow and just when you think the tempo slows ... the big flakes start again. Amazing 3 hours without stopping and still going strong. Just hope the rest of you getting measly sleet showers can get in on some of the action in the next 3 days or so.

What is your current dewpoint ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

The ppn is getting more intense as it hits the midlands .. this could turn out to be a widespread event.

Posted

Icy rain at present, bits of sleet mixed in, but as usual, the Irish Sea doing a great job (not) of keeping us free from the white stuff. Maybe the drop in temperature might encourage a change of heart from up above.....

Posted

The problem for you, is your height at the moment, maybe this afternoon it will become more favourable..as temps continue to drop.

Plus, unfotunately, I am to the West of Wigan - if I was to the East it may be a different story.

Posted

According to the radar the band of precipitation is coming to an end soon as it moves south. I am glad as it is mainly sleety rain here, damaging my snowcover. Thankfully, the ground is frozen underneath so I should keep some snow on the ground.

I don't think the second trough will affect us much this afternoon. It is losing intensity as it is moving towards us.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well it's been snowing more or less constantly for 4 hours :cc_confused: - about 3" now settled and no sign of abating - think I will be watching the forecasts very cloesely over the next few weeks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Just crap rain again here :D:)

Posted

Some huge flakes of snow are mixed in with the rain/sleet. This is still damaging my snow cover so I hope it stops asap!

Karyo

Posted

Plus, unfotunately, I am to the West of Wigan - if I was to the East it may be a different story.

Just had a peak at your temperature

Appley Temp 4.5C

Dewpoint 4.1C

Those are incredible temperatures considering even the warmer areas south of the region have reported massive temp drops. Tho I do confess the max dewpoint for us this morning was 2.2, now its 0.6C. Temp just about hovering on 1.8C all very marginal at best at the moment, but we have had some very wet snow / sleet when it was looking like being a very warm day indeed.

I just want to add our temps are rising again too.

My temp 2.4C

DP: 1.0C

Wind Dir: W by S, so we are back under the irish sea influence after being under the NE airflow for an hour.

Overcast with occassional light drizzle.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

left trouser leging it down now, washing away the snow...what a sad sight.

Posted

well it's been snowing more or less constantly for 4 hours :D - about 3" now settled and no sign of abating - think I will be watching the forecasts very cloesely over the next few weeks

Yep, pretty much the same here. I see that A635 Holmfirth Road & A672 Ripponden Road are now closed aswell as the usual Snake Pass and other cross pennine routes. M62 although very slow traffic, is still open.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I hate to brag, but complete white surfaces here..after the other lot in December melted away, the hills have started to see shades of Green come back on the fields, now everything is covered in a nice white again.

Heavy Snow aswell with some big flakes for the past hour.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE