Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

Well it's been raining in Preston so i doubt Blackpool has snow.

It's not so much the weather in Blackpool I'm worried about, but more getting between my house and the M6. I'm also not too keen on uncovered seating!

Posted

A lovely surprise for me! Just woke up and there is a covering of 1.5cm here. Snowing currently too!

Lovely, lovely,lovely!

Karyo

Posted

Got about 3-4cm now. As usual the side roads have a heavy covering, so any trips I do today will be by the old fashioned 'walking' lol

Posted

And the next shower is... rain :)

Louise

Mcr Airport

Edited to add: slowly turning back to sleet

Edited by Louise

Posted

Had a heavyish shower a few minutes ago that left a slight covering. Still cloudy maybe more to come, but I think the line of showers is not orientated quite right at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Heavy shower here ATM its a mix of rain/hail, hopefully as the day wears on it will get more wintry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

And the next shower is... rain smile.gif

Louise

Mcr Airport

Louise

Quite a nice Morning in our parts and the sun is out

If there rain showers about it can stay sunny for me wait until later when the colder air digs in

C.S

Posted

We've had about three inches since 9am this morning and more coming down, enormous snowflakes the size of about 3 x 50p joined together. I've just come back with my neighbours from walking the dogs up on the hills behind the house and it was a total whiteout, being a southerner I've never seen snow like this come down quite so quickly. Thankfully I've got a 4wd or there wont be anything for supper tonight - fed up with Turkey and ham in different guises!!

Shadowfax

post-2539-12624280152813_thumb.jpg

Posted

Showers have been rain/sleet/pellets here so far this morning. My parents 5 miles to my NE and 150 feet higher have had mainly wet snow. I guess I'm right on the border of the current marginality. Hoping for something colder and more organised later.

Posted

Good morning C.S. Yes I'm hoping we might just see a little snow when we go back home later. Fingers crossed for Cheshire :)

Just looked at keepmoving, up the M62, blimey they've got it bad up there :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

Morning!!! what a lovely surprise...son number 1 outside making snowballs again, decent depth of snowfall today - about 3cm up here - but now looks more like sleet than snow currently falling. quite a bit of graupel earlier down the back o me coat but plans to get out there in a bit with the kids before it all disapppears in the (holds breath) rain...?

I really hope not.

Posted

Is it me, or does anyone else think the beebs forecasts have been dismal throughout this cold spell. Just watched the 10-30am forecast,and it's completely at odds with what's being shown by all the models for today!

Posted

Just keeping an eye on the temperatures and it's climbed from -1c to now +1c so hopefully it won't increase too much. Light snow now, but currently no signs it's turning sleety.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

Hi solar cycles, yes I do agree that there has been a poor show re the froecasts - last night said clear forecasts and it's only now the bbc is saying showers today! even the meto said it would be clear today!

Posted

It's because they believe a a trough will arrive today that will instantly cool the temperatures and produce heavy snow right across our region and in our case like last (high humidity and freezing conditions ie icyroads.)

After having had a look at things today, there is indeed potential for temps to dramatically drop..if this occurs, and with the moisture about we could be in for some heavy snow..but regardless I think we'll get showery conditions later this afternoon / night

Warning

Wintry showers will spread across northwest England today with moderate accumulations of 2 to 5 cm with perhaps 8 to 10 cm over high ground. Widespread icy stretches are expected to form on untreated roads. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Thanks mate...nearly 5C here now......looks like it will lash down with rain any minute.

Posted

Being as we are in a very mild airflow I think we'll probably crack 7.5/8C easily today...its what happenes later this evening that really matter for us down here. Unless the wind swings direction and we get that trough I can only see temperatures increasing to more like spring time minima's as the days go on.

The East is a lot warmer, the south east is warmer, the north east as a very weak air stream unless you happen to be living on top of a mountain further north.

The North mild, West Mild, south west almost tropical lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

And a very good morning and happy new year everyone :D

fraid I took my eye off the ball with finishing off the last of the turkey, eating the cold srout and finishing the remains of the egg nog

Seriously - woke to find 2" of snow and very steady accumulation. Very heavy snow at the moment - lovely big flakes and a forecast for yet more more more over then next few days

at this rate, the ramp thread will wither and die !"!yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Good morning C.S. Yes I'm hoping we might just see a little snow when we go back home later. Fingers crossed for Cheshire :)

Just looked at keepmoving, up the M62, blimey they've got it bad up there :D

Yes, you're right!

post-4642-12624291412613_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi,

Really? Is their some sort of Fohn effect setting up or something? It seems quite a shame that our area is cursed by these warm temperatures preventing precipitation falling as snow when a lot of the rest of the country and even our region has conditions which are conductive to snowfall. As I have said, we have had quite a few good falls during previous cold spells so why not assume it will change as the colder air digs in, -10 upper temps are modelled aren't they? Anyway what time do you expect the cold air to undercut, and do you think we get some snowfall after it occurs (say later on this evening)?

Luke