Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Is netweathers radar working? and has now clouded over

No, every website gets their data from the Met Office, so everyone will have the same problem.

Makes things quite interesting, like the old days, we have no idea what's coming!

My view to the east is gone so there must be snow over there.

EDIT: It's working again! Don't think the north of our region will get much out of this, but another update would help to see how it's all moving.

Posted

40 minutes now without radar, a lot could have happened in that time. Normally satellite images would become useful but not today. The way the PPN was moving doesn't tie in with the clouds at all.

Met Office had an advisory out for Wednesday now too!

Yep, its kinda frustrating i have to admit, especially when the band is not as solid as we would of liked it to be.

Anyways, just having light snow with small flakes, nothing exciting really. Should be stopping soon as visibility is improving. Probably a good thing because the wind should increase to an easterly soon going by the XC weather charts.

BTW, following this band will be snow showers from the North Sea for a short while i would of thought before pressure rises and kills most of the showers so a top up tonight could also be on the cards if today's "event" fails to deliver.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Met Office had an advisory out for Wednesday now too!

Yeah Mark, looks like Wednesday will be worse( or better..!) than Tuesday moderate to heavy snow all day, even the GFS 06z depicts this.

post-5386-12624292851513_thumb.png

post-5386-12624292941113_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Surely this will fall as snow and how long left to wait! :cold:

Posted

The light snow turned to cold rain about 10 minutes ago despite the temperature only being fractionally abouve freezing(warn air aloft) but currently it appears to be turning sleety.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Outbreaks of snow turning to sleet :cold: Looks like a non-event in Newcastle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

10cm at 9am this morning (indicating that 2 of yesterday's 12cm melted in the warmer air we got from both the warm pool and a temporary NE drift from the North Sea). Strangely, the topmost layer of snow turned hard because of the thaw then freeze but the layers underneath remained soft. It has since increased to 11cm.

Looking closely at the GFS Precipitation, it expected the main band to reach us at around lunchtime and then for the land-based part to fizzle while maintaining intensity over the North Sea. All of this seems to have speeded up.

Temps at Cleadon rose to a marginal-looking 1.0C before this area of snow hit, but it has since been snowing and settling so I now have a cover of 11cm. I still have a nagging feeling that showers may turn sleety off the North Sea for a time around midday as the wind picks up, but if so, it should only be temporary. Snow showers should be frequent tonight, but tomorrow looks like having just the odd scattered shower about.

Posted

Just drove from boro to Peterlee and they have about 3-4 inches of snow, thats only 20 miles away. Was very black and looked like it was going to snow up their, i'm back in boro now, harly any snow and it looks like it might snow. Radar looks good, but after yesterday i'm not expecting anything.

Posted

sleet here ...

actually more like heavy rain. i had though this was going to be snow, but there you go.

temp risen to 1.2oC from 0.6oC in about 10 mins!

Edited by izi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I have a feeling that large mass out in the North Sea is 1. heading for us and 2. likely to be sleety near the coast, as it implies an E wind will be picking up.

Posted

I would not mind if it does, uppers should be colder by the time it does(if it does).

On the other hand, i would not mind if it all head south quickly and lets hope lady luck is on our side regarding the convective showers.

I look at the upper air temps charts and i fail to understand why it is so marginal, okay, the breeze is coming off the sea but surely inland parts of the region should be seeing fully snow and not this sleety stuff.

I dropped my daughter off in Rookhope on New years eve...the snow was deep then,I was due to pick her back up yesterday but she called saying it was almost waist deep there (I presume she meant in the drifts)...moderate fall here again overnight with steady snow showers continuing as I type.

Posted

This is so nerve shredding lol ! what iss it going to be? hopefully snow dewpoint and temp has risen but now steadied at 10:58

Temp = 1.2C Dew Point -1.5C

But weirdly the one in billingham has temp 1.3C and dew point -0.6C at 11:14

Posted

I would not mind if it does, uppers should be colder by the time it does(if it does).

On the other hand, i would not mind if it all head south quickly and lets hope lady luck is on our side regarding the convective showers.

I look at the upper air temps charts and i fail to understand why it is so marginal, okay, the breeze is coming off the sea but surely inland parts of the region should be seeing fully snow and not this sleety stuff.

it's proper snow here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

10cm at 9am this morning (indicating that 2 of yesterday's 12cm melted in the warmer air we got from both the warm pool and a temporary NE drift from the North Sea). Strangely, the topmost layer of snow turned hard because of the thaw then freeze but the layers underneath remained soft. It has since increased to 11cm.

Looking closely at the GFS Precipitation, it expected the main band to reach us at around lunchtime and then for the land-based part to fizzle while maintaining intensity over the North Sea. All of this seems to have speeded up.

Temps at Cleadon rose to a marginal-looking 1.0C before this area of snow hit, but it has since been snowing and settling so I now have a cover of 11cm. I still have a nagging feeling that showers may turn sleety off the North Sea for a time around midday as the wind picks up, but if so, it should only be temporary. Snow showers should be frequent tonight, but tomorrow looks like having just the odd scattered shower about.

It's unusual that the coast gets accumulating snow when inland there is sleety rain! I'm quite disappointed, the snow is thawing quite quickly. Just 7cm left of the 11cm I had yesterday.

Posted

I have a feeling that large mass out in the North Sea is 1. heading for us and 2. likely to be sleety near the coast, as it implies an E wind will be picking up.

You could be right, looking at the last two radar updates it's expanding on it's western edge quite quickly towards us. The stuff already over land is giving moderate snow here now.

This is starting to look good I think :wallbash: Just hope the coast can keep snow and not sleet.

Posted

You could be right, looking at the last two radar updates it's expanding on it's western edge quite quickly towards us. The stuff already over land is giving moderate snow here now.

This is starting to look good I think :wallbash:

when you back at work Mark?

Posted

when you back at work Mark?

Monday, but it could be just for one day looking at the potential for Tuesday and Wednesday!

Latest radar update still shows the stuff in the sea should hit us, the top half at least.

Posted

Take a peek at the upper temperatures on GFS- they show those -5C 850hPa values not far south of the region so that warmer core of the shortwave is probably still affecting us.

Still snowing here at Cleadon. :wallbash:

Posted

wont be long for these roads to grind to a halt at this rate.

Monday, but it could be just for one day looking at the potential for Tuesday and Wednesday!

Latest radar update still shows the stuff in the sea should hit us, the top half at least.

it's getting bad here now.

Posted

How long to go this is agony my eyes are starting to play tricks on me lmao!