Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

And guess what... it's snowing here too! :) but only settling as slush on ice :) so not very popular with muggins on his way to the shed :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Still going here! Car is stuck on the road outside which hasn't been gritted for about a week - we're having to use up some of our precious salt supply!

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

forecasters say we got maybe another 2 weeks of this cold snap all good news :unsure:

forecasters say we got maybe another 2 weeks of this cold snap all good news :unsure:

Maybe 2 weeks more, maybe more weeks more, definitely already two weeks!! I know I'm just being selfish but I would really like some more snow. Some proper snow and not just a cm or two at a time in between slight thaws. Having said that I don't fancy the 50cm+ some areas have up north, that's just a ridiculous amount of snow and would cause too many problems. 3 inches would do just nicely!! Now, where did that occlusion for tomorrow/Monday get to??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Just pottering around the west side of the central belt driving me choochoo and oh what joy to see snow falling pretty much everywhere and anywhere. Gone off just now and more sun than anything but its so good to c fresh snow (not driving at the mo btw!)

Posted

Regular light snow showers up here but very little lying snow. Biggest problem is very thick ice on ungritted surfaces, as much as 8cm and it's so hard you need a digger to shift it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Maybe 2 weeks more, maybe more weeks more, definitely already two weeks!! I know I'm just being selfish but I would really like some more snow. Some proper snow and not just a cm or two at a time in between slight thaws. Having said that I don't fancy the 50cm+ some areas have up north, that's just a ridiculous amount of snow and would cause too many problems. 3 inches would do just nicely!! Now, where did that occlusion for tomorrow/Monday get to??

Snow stopped for now. I doubt the occlusion will come to much more than an inch or two, but that's still a reasonable amount of snow, and there is the potential for slight upgrades closer to the time. Monday night into Tuesday looks interesting as well, with a cold front moving south, though the potential from Tuesday night onwards for eastern areas is vast.

PPVK89.png

PPVO89.png

Note the flow by Wednesday is ENE/NE, meaning that the precipitation takes a sea rather than a land track for eastern areas. Note also the troughing from Scandi to eastern England. After that, the ECM goes for a full blown easterly, which would bring heavy snow streamers across the central belt for days on end.

Recm1681.gif

Plenty of scope for school stopping snow events!!

LS

Posted

Just back in from road clearing duty, but at least all the men are still home on hols so it was a much easier task with 6 of us!

it appears it started as sleet as there is frozen layer of slush underneath the 3inches of fresh new snow out there, we're all going out later to build a giant snowman :cc_confused:

I've measured and neighbour confirms that we probably have about 30+ cm (1foot) of lying snow now - not bad !! another teeny shower just passed us by too - temp has been steady all morning at +0.5 DP -1

Posted

Pretty warm here now, up to 1c with snow thawing slightly in the sun. The last shower was a bit sleety as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

A couple of falls in Glasgow this morning. +2C now apparently. Sun keeps coming out and melting it though! Need a few more falls for it to be anything decent. Good to get a fresh covering though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Just saw a very wise post there on the model thread from John Holmes. Whilst we might not even have to worry about marginality at all in a few days, fact is that most of the time its a factor in predicting/getting snowfall for many of us. This reminder pretty much talks to all the issues and difficulties about forecasting snowy precipitation in location X at time Y !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

OK, just measured level lying snow in centre of sheltered lawn. 53cm (21" in old money)! And still bucketing too. Models in good agreement for more snow, Late Mon/Tues looking like a strong possibility, and severe cold towards the weekend to throw into the mix. How much news has there been on it? Sweet FA as far as I can tell, even in Scotland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Happy New Year all.

Snow back on in Glasgow. This morning's been a mix of prolonged and heavy snow showers and sunny spells. Could do with a more sustained period of snow again - if only to properly cover the ice that is everywhere now. Don't think we'll have to wait too long to get it. :)

Models are progging the cold spell to last to mid-month - fine by me! :):D:):D

Posted

Temperature just below freezing and we have a powdery snow shower falling. Dug out a lot of gates this morning and will remove the centre ridge of snow from the farm road this afternoon just to make access possible.

Posted

Pretty hairy drive from Strath to Freuchie, but the snow has stopped now here. Looks like more showers out to the east though, as I can no longer see any of the hills to the north and east of here.

Posted

The GFS NW version has temps off the scale for Saturday 9th for the central Highlands. Temp map gets down to -30C if my contour counting is correct.

Obviously unlikely, as we have seen over the past two weeks it has been very difficult to get a "perfect" set up for min temps. But it demonstrates the potential.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The GFS NW version has temps off the scale for Saturday 9th for the central Highlands. Temp map gets down to -30C if my contour counting is correct.

Obviously unlikely, as we have seen over the past two weeks it has been very difficult to get a "perfect" set up for min temps. But it demonstrates the potential.

Tbh mate, I never want to see minima of -30C! Just think of the damage??? :)