Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 12

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

We've all had a fair amount of frost over this period. Does anyone have a general heuristic for "how much" colder the ground temperature is relative to the air temperature in these kind of mid-winter cold spells ? Eg if Embra or Glasgow airport reports -5c ... is the ground likely to be at -6c , -7c or even lower ?

Edit: bit of googling about indicates it can be 3 or 4 degrees colder. Question was prompted by being in Holyrood Park earlier feeding the ducks ... and the open water in St Margrets Loch is the smallest I've seen over the cold period. A few hard frosts would ice it over completely I think ... and I haven't seen that since the 1980's.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Not much of a guide to anything but some big flakes blowing about in the wind here and easily passing the lamp-post test. Thats what happens when you take your eyes off the radar for an hour :cray: Don't think its going to amount to anything, we had stars in the sky an hour ago so hadn't been checking ...

Posted

Aye by-tor, something is developing over the Firth of Forth for sure.

Snowing here now.

Posted

Where did that come from ? Nowt an hour ago ... now theres radar returns up and down the estuary and south and west to Glasgow/Lanarkshire area. Nothing heavy I think ... but just quickly materialised out of not very much !

Edit: off here in Leith, barely worth mentioning other than the fact it just "appeared"

Aye by-tor, something is developing over the Firth of Forth for sure.

Snowing here now.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Ran the radar back an hour and there was a handful of small radar returns off the Fife coast. Inside an hour that became much more extensive over the south side of the estuary. Like I say nowt to write home about here in Leith other than the fact some kind of estuary effect may have kicked in there ?

Snowing here as well ! rolleyes.gif

Posted

Oh well, light snow is better than no snow !

Hope tomorrow morning delivers something more juicy !

Posted

Whole thing is tilted WSW to ENE (approximately) from Glasgow To Edinburgh ... Glasgow reported rain at 1AM and a rise to 1C. Interesting to see if we follow suit or is it a bit of a warmer sector or coastal effect out west...

Edit: now 2c at Glasgow airport, 0c at Embra airport ... warmer feature of some kind ?

Oh well, light snow is better than no snow !

Hope tomorrow morning delivers something more juicy !

Edited by by-tor

Hi everyone, I am very new to this watching the weather lark, but am absolutely fascinated by it! I used to check the BBC weather website, but over time, found it was rather inaccurate when there was a changeable weather in place. I have since discovered netweather.tv, and am well chuffed with it, because there is a lot of information on here, but put in such a way, a complete novice can understand whats going on!!!!

Weather in glasgow these last few weeks has been very interesting to me, as am not used to seeing snow this far west!!

Just to let you know, there is a good cloud cover at present in east glasgow (baillieston), but no snow as yet. Totally freezing cold though. What sort of things would I be looking for, to know whether it will snow or not? Btw, BBC weather (usually at odds with netweather forecasts!) is backing it up by suggesting glasgow will have sleet, rain then light snow on saturday! Will look forward to seeing if this works out as is suggested.

Also, big up to the "Fishmeister", as he is an amazing forecaster, and I have grown up hearing and seeing his reports.

Any help with the above query would be much appreciated

Thanks

Posted

Hi everyone, I am very new to this watching the weather lark, but am absolutely fascinated by it! I used to check the BBC weather website, but over time, found it was rather inaccurate when there was a changeable weather in place. I have since discovered netweather.tv, and am well chuffed with it, because there is a lot of information on here, but put in such a way, a complete novice can understand whats going on!!!!

Weather in glasgow these last few weeks has been very interesting to me, as am not used to seeing snow this far west!!

Just to let you know, there is a good cloud cover at present in east glasgow (baillieston), but no snow as yet. Totally freezing cold though. What sort of things would I be looking for, to know whether it will snow or not? Btw, BBC weather (usually at odds with netweather forecasts!) is backing it up by suggesting glasgow will have sleet, rain then light snow on saturday! Will look forward to seeing if this works out as is suggested.

Also, big up to the "Fishmeister", as he is an amazing forecaster, and I have grown up hearing and seeing his reports.

Any help with the above query would be much appreciated

Thanks

Posted

Hi Folks,

New to the forum but can't believe the conditions over the last 15 days! Originally from the West ( Dumbarton) and moved to Livingston in 2000 and this major snow event is something that will remain with me and my family for a long time. I'm in my mid thirties and I still cant remember a snow event like this in my lifetime (maybe Dec 1981- Jan 1982?) but this is slightly vague. We have had about a foot of lying snow and the council haven't touched the side streets and I have taken photos from around the 17th Dec. when we had our first snowfall. I was the named driver last night for Hogmanay and the temperature was -12 at 1AM at Livingston, combined with lying deep snow. Can you explain why Livingston and the surrounding areas have experienced major snow events, quite localised in my opinion, whereas 10/15 mies down the road, snow levels are greatly decreaeased? Anyway, all the best for the New Year.

Cheers

John

Posted

The band has pretty much missed us other than some very light drizzle (i think) falling in -1c temps!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Plenty of the wet stuff overnight up here...No sign of any snow. :cray::cray::cray::cray:

Welcome Newbies!!! :clap::clap::drinks::drinks:

The band has pretty much missed us other than some very light drizzle (i think) falling in -1c temps!

Same here, a complete split and miss by the precip. Looks like any precip later is staying east too. Weather warnings out for the whole of Scotland, except here!! Although in all fairness only Glasgow, East Dunbartonshire and N & S Lanarkshire have warnings out for snow; the rest are for icy roads after showers.

Can you explain why Livingston and the surrounding areas have experienced major snow events, quite localised in my opinion, whereas 10/15 mies down the road, snow levels are greatly decreaeased? Anyway, all the best for the New Year.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

The localised snow seems pretty strange at first, although a short while radar watching will solve the mystery. A lot of the snow which has fallen has come from small scale areas of precipitation, either showers or troughs and not from large scale weather fronts. This results in areas of precipitation which can be as little as ten miles wide travelling across Scotland and only leaving snow in a ten mile wide band. For example, the week before Xmas a band of precip just missed me to my north giving only a few flakes here, but roads were closed due to snow in a line ten miles due north of me from Alexandria (near Loch Lomond) to the M80 away over at at CastleCary. Later in that week something similar happened when a line of precip passed directly to my south, again only leaving a few flakes here but bringing a lot of snow to Ayrshire and then Lanarkshire. Here is a screen shot from that day's NW radar: showing west central Scotland:

In a different winter I would be looking out at over a foot of snow, but we have just been unlucky to miss out on a major amount of snow, while others not far from here do have a foot of snow.

Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse the matter!!

Posted

Hopefully there is more on the way, we only got 10 mins of sleety snowcray.gif

But looking at the camera around Ellon , Huntly its teaming down again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

totatlly missed us in argyll, big moon and very cold though.... oh well looks like i must go to work then, why cant we get a wee bit of inverness snow, :clap:

totatlly missed us in argyll, big moon and very cold though.... oh well looks like i must go to work then, why cant we get a wee bit of inverness snow, :clap:

We may well get some snow later on Sunday into Monday when this occlusion moves down from the north. Usually snowfall from an occlusion is fairly light, although one of these dropped 2-3 inches of snow over parts of Scotland last winter (that was over heaviest snowfall last year here!!):