Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

just looked outside and there is cloud cover frmo north and coming over ,so yes i suppose the cloud will travel down from north ,im still thinking snow tonight over this way

Much the same here, it was clear upto about an hour ago and we have a very thick white frost covering everywhere, it's clouded over now so maybe some light snow showers in the night ?

Getting excited about middle of next week onwards, would love to get snowed in for a few days

clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

Haven't looked at the ECM yet, but I gather it's rather good smile.gif Any ideas if it came off how it would compare to Feb this year? that was by far the most snowfall I have ever seen in my relatively short lifetime, and I would be so happy to see it again next week, especially as I go back to school and with the bitter cold I'm guessing it's not going to shift for a while when it settles, so I could be out of school for a while!

If we have a winter like 1963, believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet! I remember snow drifts in Brighton up to 15 feet deep! I remember a local petrol station literally almost buried by snow drifts. Double decker Buses buried nearly up to the top decks-it was that good (or bad depending upon how you look at it). Here's to another snowy 1963! :)

Posted

The real cold will most likely set in Monday into Tuesday, and then probably we will start to see snow showers in our region

post-10203-12623828359213_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Hello Rob - going from what the others are sayiing you ought to see more snow than last February. Its quite interesting that things have changed so much. I have fond memories (albeit in the Pennines) of school in the 1980's being closed fairly often in Jan/Feb. In those days of no internet, we all listened into local radio once out of bed to hear if school was on or not that day. Of course, on the days when 30cm or more had come down overnight, it was a no brainer. At least a couple of times the question was how were we going to manage to get home from school. Often finished at lunchtime.

Yeah that was probably the best for me. I remember the morning well - absolute chaos! Although, I have memories of my time back in primary school and one very snowy day. Must have been about 12 years ago maybe more. I can't remember the depths but it was a fair good amount. School carried on though!

If we have a winter like 1963, believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet! I remember snow drifts in Brighton up to 15 feet deep! I remember a local petrol station literally almost buried by snow drifts. Double decker Buses buried nearly up to the top decks-it was that good (or bad depending upon how you look at it). Here's to another snowy 1963! hi.gif

Thanks all, it would be quite astonishing to see that kind of snowfall :)

Posted

The last really bad snowfall I remember was 87 I think. Snow drifts, the army trying to get supplies into local villages, helicopters rescuing people that were stranded on the A20. I wonder if thats what we are in for :rolleyes:

Posted

its starting to snow in Leighton buzzard ,yeah right for the first time i tried lol :rolleyes:

Edited by simon65

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

its starting to snow in Leighton buzzard ,yeah right for the first time i tried lol yahoo.gif

Brillliant yahoo.gif

I was going to bed now but may have to wait up a bit longer to see if it comes this way !

Posted

We miss out on the best of the snow fun on the 18z but even then I'm willing to bet there would be fun and games for us...as the fax charts show they expect a front to come through then exit through the SE on Wednesday.

Also worth noting it does give us a spell of light snow on Sunday night, these are the set-ups that will pop up within 48hrs of the actual set-up...

Posted

We miss out on the best of the snow fun on the 18z but even then I'm willing to bet there would be fun and games for us...as the fax charts show they expect a front to come through then exit through the SE on Wednesday.

Also worth noting it does give us a spell of light snow on Sunday night, these are the set-ups that will pop up within 48hrs of the actual set-up...

LOL typical.....actually the snow always seems to be a few days away! I reckon there will be very little (at least here) considering how hyped people have got!

EDIT; Temperature -5.2c

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

Tonight it looks like this,

temperature is up and down, depending on cloud cover, but cold enough

Aldborough weather

Latitude N 52° 51' 59" Longitude E 01° 14' 12" Elevation 29 m

Welcome to North Norfolk.

The weather station in use is the WH-1081, and these pages are updated every 15 minutes. The meteorological day used at this station ends at midnight.

Conditions at local time 22:26 on 01 January 2010 Temperature and Humidity

Temperature -3.0 °C Dew Point -4.0 °C

Windchill -3.0 °C Humidity 93%

Pressure

Barometer 1006.9 mb Rising slowly +0.3 mb/hr

Posted

LOL typical.....actually the snow always seems to be a few days away! I reckon there will be very little (at least here) considering how hyped people have got!

EDIT; Temperature -5.2c

He doesnt mean were going to get little snow, The biggest snow amounts will be in the North East but Im confident many parts of the region will see significant snow. The models are fantastic and Im sure you will get snow

Posted

Its snowing here in Berkhamsted, Herts yahoo.gif

Yeah a few little speckles starting to appear on the radar.....Ian Fergusson over on the SW thread just posted their updated NAE output which increases the potential for snow flurries to break out in the wee hours right through from bristol to the home counties

Supposedly vorticity, im guessing even the higher res GFS has failed to pick up on this much

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs097.gif

I guess we shall see come the morning but i'd expect more and more reports of snow flurries as the night wares on across the home counties

Interestingly NAE has upgraded prospects for tomorrow evening

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/01/basis18/ukuk/prty/10010300_2_0118.gif

http://expert.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2010/01/01/basis18/ukuk/prty/10010306_2_0118.gif

SK

Posted

is berkhampstead in the home counties as i did say earlier it might snow in the home counties lol ,has anyone got any tips to stop my wind direction and speed freezing up ,i just had to go out and defrost them

Current data for

01 January 2010 22:45:22

Temperature (°C):

Current -1.6

Trend (per hour) +0.2

Average today -0.6

Wind chill -1.6

Heat Index -1.6

Dew Point -3.0

Rel Humidity 90%

Pressure (mb):

Current 1009.5

Trend (per hour) +0.2

Posted

Yep snowking, FWIW Helen just now on the Beeb also went along with the idea of some snow in the SE tomorrow early hours...some big uncertainties though because the 18z fizzles it out asit reaches Kent, so toughie to call...

Sunday night also looks rather interesting on the 18z GFS, the trough sits over the SE for a while, as the Fax charts also shows.

Posted

lots of cloud moving in from a west/north west direction. What is this as radar appears clear?!

Posted

Same here Saint, some pretty low temps here it has to be said, my car was already iced up at 6pm and since then temps dropped down to -2C here, other parts of this region are lower however, down to -2/3/4C quite widely slightly inland.

Posted

Anyone else not really excited for the inevitable snow? We've already had a good week of snow with top-ups and we've only had about 4 days of slightly less cold, now it's back to the biting cold again.

My neighbour's snowman hasn't fully melted and by the looks of things it's going to get rebuilt over the next few days. :drunk:

Posted

lots of cloud moving in from a west/north west direction. What is this as radar appears clear?!

If you look at this loop you can see area of cloud moving down just to north and west of london. http://www.sat24.com/images.php?country=gb&sat=ir&1220913684609

Radar currently showing a few light flurries developing on this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Some ppl in the north east discussion thread are saying the ppn currently over the NE is marginal, with some slightly milder uppers.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Anyone else not really excited for the inevitable snow?

Not really because every time it gets here it puts out a light dusting and thats it , while areas west or east of us get 5cm or more :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Anyone else not really excited for the inevitable snow? We've already had a good week of snow with top-ups and we've only had about 4 days of slightly less cold, now it's back to the biting cold again.

My neighbour's snowman hasn't fully melted and by the looks of things it's going to get rebuilt over the next few days. :drunk:

On your own mate! :)