Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Methuselah

When was the last month with a blue moon?? I know RJS is quite a firm believer in the idea that full moons affect the weather (particularly cyclones) to an extent, so it would be interesting to know if that had any link with this fairly exceptional cold spell.

LS

They happen every 2.7 years, so summer 2007?? Last one at New Year was 1990. I have learnt something new today, which is always good :drunk::)

It doesn't really matter about the blue moon thing, the full moon happens every 4 weeks anyway, regardless of the calendar fitting into the cycle :)

I am not sure about the whole full moon affecting the weather thing, however, if the moon affects the strength of the tides and the warmth or coldness of the sea can affect the weather then maybe there is something in it?? I just don't know enough about it to agree with the theory or to disagree with the theory. I simply don't know :)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

They happen every 2.7 years, so summer 2007?? Last one at New Year was 1990. I have learnt something new today, which is always good smile.gifsmile.gif

I am not sure about the whole full moon affecting the weather thing, however, if the moon affects the strength of the tides and the warmth or coldness of the sea can affect the weather then maybe there is something in it?? I just don't know enough about it to agree with the theory or to disagree with the theory. I simply don't know.

The odd thing is that a full moon allegedly coincides with an active atlantic, something which has actually been missing this month!

Posted

The odd thing is that a full moon allegedly coincides with an active atlantic, something which has actually been missing this month!

which we are all very grateful for LS! :)

Posted

Well Everyone,

I have spent a lot of time on here today and i think the past 17days to be honest in anticipation of snow events. I must say that i have not been let down at all these past weeks and hopefully that POLAR LOW will provide us with a nice first day of 2010.

Since its the first year with our little boy, i'm being summoned to get some alcohol out of the cupboard and spend the next few hours with Mrs Yeahbabyyeah and the wee one, watching Pirates of the Carribean, Stll Game and Only An Excuse then i guess the delightful Jackie Bird.

I would, however, like to thank everyone on this thread for all the information they have discussed and shared, its been very much appreciated for novices like myself.

I hope you all have a fantastic evening, however, you may be spending it! If i'm allowed, i will have a quick glance later to see if anyone has any up-to-date good news for us. If not i will wish you all a Happy New Year and Good Luck for 2010, if your out and about, be careful!

:drinks::drinks::drinks::drunk::drunk::drunk::drinks::drinks::drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Happy New Year as well. Something beginning to appear fairly close to Stonehaven, so maybe you'll have quite a bit more by tomorrow! Remember to send it down also to SP33, SL, Big Innes, Shuggee, myself, Mondy etc. as well!!

LS

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Blue Moons are rare (once every 2.5 years). Blue Moons on New Year's Eve are rarer still (once every 19 years). How rare is a lunar eclipse of a Blue Moon on New Year's Eve?

A search of NASA's

Five Millennium Catalogue of Lunar Eclipses provides an approximate answer. In the next 1000 years, Blue Moons on New Year's Eve will be eclipsed only 11 times (once every 91 years). A year of special note is 2848 when there will be two lunar eclipses in December--on Dec. 1st and Dec. 31st. Such a double-Blue Moon-lunar eclipse ending on New Year's Eve appears to be a millennium-level event. That's rare.

Posted

we've had clear skies for weeks giving us low temperatures, but not as much snow as the rest of the country. then the very night I want to see the moon, we get loads of clouds and heavy snow !

probably had a couple of inches in the last couple of hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Right, according to weather.co.uk it's now -5 in Glasgow. That seems quite early to be getting down to that level, anyone agree or does it not necessarily matter? Possible -10 tonight perhaps?

If so, looks like tonight is going to be purebalticbyraway and I'll have to wrap up on my way to the party tonight. Feel sorry for anyone out in George Square or Princes Street because when it's that cold it's just not worth it. I may just stay at the party right through til the end of tomorrow to avoid having to go outside again. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Pelting down hear again. Mini streamer hitting us. Temp rose from -3.2 to a balmy -2.6.

Feeling slightly guilty reporting snow when others are crying out for some.

Still, the amount of prep out in the NS should mean most on the north/east regions within a reasonable distance to the coast have a chance of some tonight. Prospects for the next few days look interesting too.

Wee one off to bed now. Time for a mix of radar/garden halogen (no lamposts out here in the sticks) / movie watching. Not necessarily in that order.

I don't post much, but really enjoy reading this forum, particularly when the kilted snow thread kicks off.

Happy snow year to all.

drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Snow again now, temp down to 1C. Yo yo like. That 'feature' is getting closer to Peterhead, wonder what'll happen early hours over there!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

lovely moon - theres no snow here either - looks like we're missing the snow too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Currently -9.6C here and rate of fall -1.1C/hour.

Blue Moons are rare (once every 2.5 years). Blue Moons on New Year's Eve are rarer still (once every 19 years). How rare is a lunar eclipse of a Blue Moon on New Year's Eve?

A search of NASA's

Five Millennium Catalogue of Lunar Eclipses provides an approximate answer. In the next 1000 years, Blue Moons on New Year's Eve will be eclipsed only 11 times (once every 91 years). A year of special note is 2848 when there will be two lunar eclipses in December--on Dec. 1st and Dec. 31st. Such a double-Blue Moon-lunar eclipse ending on New Year's Eve appears to be a millennium-level event. That's rare.

I'm sure I read earlier that this is a once in 350 year "event", although to be fair I'm quite happy I won't be around at the next one to see just a wee segment of the moon turn grey :)

I had initially thought that it was a proper eclipse, where the moon turns red. Now that would have been special. A blue red full moon on a snow covered night where the moon is extra bright.

Still pretty nice to have a full moon and clear skies with the thick "snow" cover of white ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

NOAA Sat Pic of snow cover across the country.. Apologies if posted earlier just got the email from them.

SNWeurope365_MO.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snow again now, temp down to 1C. Yo yo like. That 'feature' is getting closer to Peterhead, wonder what'll happen early hours over there!!

Yep, on the sat we see it draw ever closer.

Is it a legendary polar low?

I've been wondering whether polar lows are actually an urban myth Like a yeti or the grey man of Ben Macdui... Everyone talks about them, yet nobody seems to have seen one, with every low eminating from the far north being dismissed as just a regular low near the pole.

Posted

Just want to say Happy New Year to all, especially those who have put up with my 'Will it snow in Fife?' questions lately :):80::oops:

Fingers crossed that 2010 more snowtastic than 2009! :)

If you are going out, have a safe journey :) :):)

PS, Fingers crossed for a PL :)

Edited by snowmess

Right, according to weather.co.uk it's now -5 in Glasgow. That seems quite early to be getting down to that level, anyone agree or does it not necessarily matter? Possible -10 tonight perhaps?

-6C at Glasgow Airport now :)

And just as if it needed proving again that the weather station at Glasgow Bishopton is a freak, it is only -1.8C there (a mere 3 or 4 miles away from the Airport). Funny that the weather station at Glasgow Bishopton is the one used to work out people's cold weather payments for the whole of Greater Glasgow. It is the warmest weather station in the whole of west central Scotland. Tonight's temps say it all. Rant over :)

Also, a wee update on the disturbance off Norway. It is not a polar low, we would see something similar to a hurricane type closed circulation by now, although it is still developing.

Posted

Taken 30 mins ago. Shows the snow showers around north and east coasts well. Everywhere else is clear skies. With lying snow, I reckon -20C could be a reasonable target tonight.

post-8552-12622937012713_thumb.png