Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Radar track certainly suggests the possibility at least LS !

The Evening News (local rag) ... put out a forecast indicating snow showers between 3 and 4AM ... hows that for a ludicrously precise local forecast :whistling:

Wouldn't it be quite something if those showers to the north tracked south and hit Edinburgh at around 11pm?

Posted

That feature to the NE seems if anything to be (re?)developing:

Which one...... the one just off the North coast , or the one that we are all hopeing first foots us from Norway?

Posted

Is this a Polar Low to the N.East of Scotland? shok.gifshok.gif

http://www.sat24.com...&index=2&sat=ir

There is certainly a lot of poeple here hoping it is!!!!!!!help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Recording an ESE wind here now, wouldn't that help to blow in some showers off the north sea?

Indeed, the next few hours see winds across the central belt veer more to the east but more to the north across northern areas, which will help move that band southwards then inland. The main worry is it disintegrating before hitting east central, but apart from that this looks promising, at least for those not too far inland or southwest. If it hits, there could be quite a lot of snow, and with temperatures so low in east central more accumulations would be pretty much guaranteed. However, my attention is turned more to Friday night, which has a huge amount of potential for most areas. After that, it's really hard to say, but the cold will not shift here until at least next weekend, and winds will veer between northerly and easterly, giving many areas a shot of significant snowfall, on top of whatever shortwave events, polar lows etc that materialise.

Posted

Indeed, the next few hours see winds across the central belt veer more to the east but more to the north across northern areas, which will help move that band southwards then inland. The main worry is it disintegrating before hitting east central, but apart from that this looks promising, at least for those not too far inland or southwest. If it hits, there could be quite a lot of snow, and with temperatures so low in east central more accumulations would be pretty much guaranteed. However, my attention is turned more to Friday night, which has a huge amount of potential for most areas. After that, it's really hard to say, but the cold will not shift here until at least next weekend, and winds will veer between northerly and easterly, giving many areas a shot of significant snowfall, on top of whatever shortwave events, polar lows etc that materialise.

What do you think about the warmer air within the Friday night system........mind you its followed by -10 uppers and east wind for all day Saturdayrofl.gif

Posted

Certainly has the image of a PL forming! Thi is exactly what we need...so good convection as it sinks slightly south then sucking in the cold air as it shoots off shower, after shower, after shower!!! (of snow of course) :drunk:

Posted

http://www.sat24.com/scan

People will need dug out if (when) this feature crossing the water from Norway hits. Looking like a direct NE hit, Also check out the streamers into the Forth and little further south. I'm reliably informed that Haddington is snowbound this evening due to those streamers.

Posted

People will need dug out if (when) this feature crossing the water from Norway hits. Looking like a direct NE hit, Also check out the streamers into the Forth and little further south. I'm reliably informed that Haddington is snowbound this evening due to those streamers.

Yep, im thinking one or two of those more beefy showers could hit here mid evening

Chaos in Princes St !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Any chance of the Fife snowdome being penetrated this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Really thats interesting, i'm not that far away from Haddington but we're most definitely not snowbound!! although Haddington is much nearer to the Lammermuir hills!! They are just off the main a1 too so must be bad.

Posted

Any chance of the Fife snowdome being penetrated this evening?

The low is huge........we gotta get a bit of that action

Posted

Heres hoping, what time do you reckon it might hit?

I would think if it does make it, then by the time it gets down this far gonna much later through the night

Posted

I would think if it does make it, then by the time it gets down this far gonna much later through the night

Ohh thanks! Well fingers crossed. We did have a weather warning for fr/sat but the evil meto took it away :)

Posted

Well its 10 to beer o-clock. Will try and nip back to the radar see what develops later.

Happy New Year to all when it arrives and hope it brings a massive dump of snow with it.

N-joy your night.

SP33 drinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

So much for the lunar eclipse, I mis-read it and thought it was a total one and not just a partial one. D'oh!! Still, it's lovely to see the bottom sliver of the moon turn very slightly grey. I'm glad I got excited about that :) :) :clap::) :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening fellow snow addicts.

7 cm fell here last night with another 3 over the course of the day. Add that to the consolidated cover we had already and there's 25 cm on my picnic bench reference.

With the showers coming in off the NS, looks like another few cms overnight is possible.

This cold period is really turning out to be something special.

I grew up near Aviemore and remember learning to ski in the heydays of the late 80's. The mid 90's saw winters get progressively poorer, and over the following 10 years skiing almost ended in some resorts (Glenshee, Glencoe) due to the serious lack of snow combined with cheaper travel to the alps.

The past 3 winters have seen some improvement and I am hopeful that we are moving into a generally colder period again.

As for global warming (oh, sorry, it's climate change now as apparently we'll be cooling down for the next 10 years whilst still warming up of course), I remain not entirely convinced. As a graduate geologist, I know the climate warms up and down all the time due to a huge number of interdependent factors. People seem to forget that we are in the middle of a glaciation; for most of the earth's history, there are no polar ice caps.....

Fingers crossed that we go back to the more traditonal winters. While these do not mean snow everywhere for months on end (people have selective memories and forget that we have a temperate maritime climate), they at least brought some decent snowy spells and kept the highlands covered for us skiers.

Hope everyone gets a suitable dose of the white stuff. I'm starting to overdose a little here, so if you want some, bring a shovel and some bin bags; we can fill up your car.

Cheers

Posted

So much for the lunar eclipse, I mis-read it and thought it was a total one and not just a partial one. D'oh!! Still, it's lovely to see the bottom sliver of the moon turn very slightly grey. I'm glad I got excited about that :p:) :) :) :) :)

7:22pm is when greatest partial eclipse.

*off outside to view :)

7:22pm is when greatest partial eclipse.

*off outside to view :p

I can see the moon from my seat in the kitchen as I type. It will be like daylight later when the moon gets higher in the sky.

I went outside there to retrieve BoyCatch#1's sledge from the hedge, and the "snow" on the ground may look like snow but is actually a 2-3 inch layer of what was wet snow now frozen solid into thick white ice. It would take an immense amount of rain to shift that, possibly 3-4 days of heavy rain and 10C. So I think this cold spell will be with us a while yet.

I also did a quick calculation earlier and I think this December will come out comfortably under the 100mm of rain mark (80mm I counted), which for the west of Scotland in December is quite an occurence. You could say that this happens once in a blue moon...

Posted

I can see the moon from my seat in the kitchen as I type. It will be like daylight later when the moon gets higher in the sky.

I went outside there to retrieve BoyCatch#1's sledge from the hedge, and the "snow" on the ground may look like snow but is actually a 2-3 inch layer of what was wet snow now frozen solid into thick white ice. It would take an immense amount of rain to shift that, possibly 3-4 days of heavy rain and 10C. So I think this cold spell will be with us a while yet.

I also did a quick calculation earlier and I think this December will come out comfortably under the 100mm of rain mark (80mm I counted), which for the west of Scotland in December is quite an occurence. You could say that this happens once in a blue moon...

When was the last month with a blue moon?? I know RJS is quite a firm believer in the idea that full moons affect the weather (particularly cyclones) to an extent, so it would be interesting to know if that had any link with this fairly exceptional cold spell.

LS

Posted

in haddington, lovely and white , perhaps an inch or so in the last couple of hours..the roads looks treacherous