Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion Part 11

Methuselah

Posted

Tell me about it! More of a northerly is EXACTLY what we need.

Not only does it give us more showers, but less of a sea influence and therfore no thaw risk

Whats the chances of it materialising do you think? I would expect something to happen as the colder air pushes south but i guess i'm not sure how far the comma cloud will track south!

Edited by yeahbabyyeah

Posted

Whats the chances of it materialising do you think? I would expect something to happen as the colder air pushes south but i guess i'm not sure how far the comma cloud will track south!

Yeh no-one is really saying much about the comma, and its not mentioned by MO homepage, Beeb ect, so would not pin too much hopes on it, but you never know. MO fax stills shows something off the coast early in the morning, but no-one here is reallly going with it, so who knowscc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=24&carte=2000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Tell me about it! More of a northerly is EXACTLY what we need.

Not only does it give us more showers, but less of a sea influence and therfore no thaw risk

Looking good for you overnight then.ukwind.png

Posted

Wellit looks pretty much NE'ly for the next few days but as the chart in the post above shows, perhaps more of northerly is on the cards.

One good thing, the temperature has slowly been falling hour by hour since early afternoon sowe should have no thaw worries - just getting the shower activity to pep up!

Posted

I think i'm right in saying I've had lying snow since Dec 18. Not that fussed now if anymore arrives or not - to have snow still lying here looking remarkably white still (not that dirty white you see when the grit gets to it) is bloody good going! Just shows how cold it's been - one slight thaw day out of two weeks is noteable :-)

Should the cloud remain out east and northwards, temps will plummet tonight in the central belt.

I think you're right - orange cloud moving in from the NNE - snow!

Good luck everyone with snow tonight. Clear as a bell here now, for anyone without cloud stick your head outside and look at the moon!! Looking good tonight.

Posted

I think you're right - orange cloud moving in from the NNE - snow!

Ahhhh...the famous orange cloud! Its every snow cravers dream! Well the wind charts above have cheered me up, lets just hope those showers on the north coast follow the A9 to aberdeen then down the A90 to Portlethen then stop at the imaginary red light at my house!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good luck everyone with snow tonight. Clear as a bell here now, for anyone without cloud stick your head outside and look at the moon!! Looking good tonight.

It is huge, really bright as well. If the wind turns more to the north this evening, perhaps it will blow that big band of showers south instead of southwest, giving us a chance of something. Straw clutching a bit but radar watching is getting a bit desperate today.

Posted

First chance I've had to look at charts and radar today. It looks as though there may be a slight chance that the showers might make it across the central belt in the next hour or two.

Also had a look at the Sat24 site and there appears to be something a little more organised heading off the Norwegian coast towards our Northern Shores. I hope it remains stable enough to keep some moisture for us :whistling:

Posted

Light snow here (in Hilton) at the moment too but it's the developments to the NE that are catching my attention. Looks encouraging IMO.

There's large area of snow in the Moray Firth at the moment which is still tracking in a SSW direction although it does seem to be 'staightening up and becoming wider). If it does head south we could be in the firing line in another few hours or so.

It's a blue moon tonight, second full moon of the month, next one is 2026 I think, also going to be a partial eclipse between 7 and 9 tonight

Superb!! Our toddler loves the moon as it is. If it turns red he'll go mental. I'm now happy that the sky is clear and can cope with no snow since we've got a once every 18 year lunar event going on!!!

Edit: Try once in a 350 year event :whistling::whistling:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Had a few snow showers in Embra today ... a centimetre if we're lucky in town. No surprise though its frozen up and pavements are as icy as Murrayfield ice-rink. The irony is that they cancelled the Hogmanay bash twice in recent times due to strong winds ... but I guarantee that tonight there'll be a flood of slip/sprain/break victims flooding A&E from now till the wee hours.

Just find it funny how perverse the health and satefy culture is in this country sometimes ... much more chance of punters injuring themselves tonight in Embra than there ever was with a force 6-8 sou-westerley and pouring rain !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Had a few snow showers in Embra today ... a centimetre if we're lucky in town. No surprise though its frozen up and pavements are as icy as Murrayfield ice-rink. The irony is that they cancelled the Hogmanay bash twice in recent times due to strong winds ... but I guarantee that tonight there'll be a flood of slip/sprain/break victims flooding A&E from now till the wee hours.

Just find it funny how perverse the health and satefy culture is in this country sometimes ... much more chance of punters injuring themselves tonight in Embra than there ever was with a force 6-8 sou-westerley and pouring rain !

Wouldn't it be quite something if those showers to the north tracked south and hit Edinburgh at around 11pm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Wouldn't it be quite something if those showers to the north tracked south and hit Edinburgh at around 11pm?

Recording an ESE wind here now, wouldn't that help to blow in some showers off the north sea?

Edited by Blitzen