Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm sure i just saw lightning just this second ago from the shower to the North. Can anyone confirm?

That shower was over me, twice I saw a flash and once I though I heard thunder, but it was a 'booming' sound rather than a rumble so I wasn't sure. Also, there were some fireworks going off at the time so I could be mixed up with that.

BTW if you look right out at sea on the radar some hefty showers are developing. They are about as far north as Edinburgh and Dundee at the moment, but as they are moving in a SW direction (on a NE wind) they should hit our region eventually. Also, the development is pushing southwards so come the morning I'm fairly confident we'll be swamped with snow showers.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

TWS do you think that streamer eventually affect me coz its doing my nut in atm wallbash.gif

Not sure to be honest- showers are very hit and miss things and this streamer isn't behaving as predictably as the others. But I will be very surprised if you don't have at least an inch lying by 9am tomorrow.

Already an inch lying in Cleadon, currently snowing and 0.8C under the streamer. Although the snow cover fell below 50% by the 28th here, and was gone by the 30th, the remains of the snowman I made in the back garden on the 19th December have survived through to the next topups. There was very little of him left- he's currently submerged under the new snow/graupel cover.

Haven't noticed any thunder or lightning here but then again the reports have been from over towards Newcastle. Still plenty of time for that though- this is a classic "thundery wintry showers" setup if ever there was one.

Edit: just seen lightning to the north!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Not sure to be honest- showers are very hit and miss things and this streamer isn't behaving as predictably as the others. But I will be very surprised if you don't have at least an inch lying by 9am tomorrow.

Already an inch lying in Cleadon, currently snowing and 0.8C under the streamer. Although the snow cover fell below 50% by the 28th here, and was gone by the 30th, the remains of the snowman I made in the back garden on the 19th December have survived through to the next topups. There was very little of him left- he's currently submerged under the new snow/graupel cover.

Haven't noticed any thunder or lightning here but then again the reports have been from over towards Newcastle. Still plenty of time for that though- this is a classic "thundery wintry showers" setup if ever there was one.

Thanks for replying :rofl: and i hope I do have a significant snow cover:D And ill be up till after 12 so hopefully by then i would have had many snow showers drinks.gif

Posted

Just had a flash of lightning over head just now. :rofl:

2nd 1 i saw of the night.

edit, another flash of lightning although it has virtully stopped snowing.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted

Just had a flash of lightning over head just now. :drunk:

2nd 1 i saw of the night.

edit, another flash of lightning although it has virtully stopped snowing.

Just heard a long roll of thunder :rofl:

Posted

Hi there guys, new guy here.

I'm in Spennymoor, have a nice new dusting.

Just been standing out in the back garden and can see some bright flashes to the NNE.

Heard a rumble of thunder earlier on in the evening.

Happy New Year :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I saw a second flash just a couple of minutes later, but it was further away and less vivid (it had clearly moved further to the west). I even managed to capture it on my camera's video mode, though it doesn't look convincing (the sky lights up a little for one frame).

But the first flash was astonishing- bright sheet lightning to the north.

Posted

FINALLY SOME LIGHT SNOW!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Enjoy the snow showers into the new year guys. Just seen Newcastle airport reporting thunder - I wonder how the new year festivities will be affected!

You lot should be ecstatic at the current model output - north to northeasterly winds for roughly a week. You'll have to dig yourselves out, like some of the residents of Inverness tonight!

cold.gif Happy New Year!

LS

Posted

Enjoy the snow showers into the new year guys. Just seen Newcastle airport reporting thunder - I wonder how the new year festivities will be affected!

You lot should be ecstatic at the current model output - north to northeasterly winds for roughly a week. You'll have to dig yourselves out, like some of the residents of Inverness tonight!

cold.gif Happy New Year!

LS

and it stops snowing after 5mins! lmao and Happy New Year Mate yahoo.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Best snowfall of the winter so far here on the NE coast and its still snowing...reminds me of the 70's ..!!

Posted

Are the showers to the east of Scotland going to move down to the North East?

Edited by mcyates

Posted

Just had another clap of thunder and it's snowing again :D Still only a few cm mind, I think there's more nearby as I've seen cars driving past with quite a bit of snow on them. Looking at the radar between 1am and 2am some even more potent showers could arrive :cold:

Are the showers to the east of Scotland going to move down to the North East?

If you look at the METO radar for 22:30, the potent showers out in the North Sea, about as far north as Edinburgh, should hit the NE between about 1am and 2am. Timings and where they'll hit are just approximate, but I expect quite a few could wake up to (or struggle home from parties in) quite a bit more snow than there is this evening.

Posted

Alza lucky you have a few cm i have a sugar dusting! Lol anyways any more showers coming in?

Posted

Alza lucky you have a few cm i have a sugar dusting! Lol anyways any more showers coming in?

Read the above post :cold:

Posted

Read the above post smile.gif

Oh lol do you think ill have any snow at midnight? biggrin.gif

Posted

I'm surprised there isn't more snow in the north east, the radar looks great for you guys, some places must have more than 5cm.

Over here we have persistent light snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Oh lol do you think ill have any snow at midnight? biggrin.gif

Maybe, not much if you don't have it now. Wait a few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Here's a timelapse I did earlier. Not the most interesting time to do it as most of it is just cloud, but thought i'd post it anyway...

timelapsemoviewmv.wmv

Hope it works ok.

I'm going to do one in the daytime, probably tomorrow. I'll hopefully get some convection in too as well as showers passing by.

Posted

Maybe, not much if you don't have it now. Wait a few hours.

I was on about snow falling lol anyways ill be off to bed sometime between 12 -1 anyways so ill probs wait to morn lol so still more posts from me coming tonite! :D

Posted

Here's a timelapse I did earlier. Not the most interesting time to do it as most of it is just cloud, but thought i'd post it anyway...

timelapsemoviewmv.wmv

Hope it works ok.

I'm going to do one in the daytime, probably tomorrow. I'll hopefully get some convection in too as well as showers passing by.

What did you use to do that?

Looked Quality!!!

Posted

I'm surprised there isn't more snow in the north east, the radar looks great for you guys, some places must have more than 5cm.

Over here we have persistent light snow.

Ive just been in the garden and measured around 3cm with alot more to come as those showers off the Scottish coast move into our localé in a couple of hours time.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Good on you guys for having the best of it atm!biggrin.gif

We'll try and catch up next week a bit down here (if we can!)

Great weather you have - (jealous- moi?)acute.gif

Happy New Year to you all - enjoy the snow!!drunk.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

What did you use to do that?

Looked Quality!!!

Just one of these timers off Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TR-90-C6-Timer-Remote-for-Canon-350D-400D-450D-1000D_W0QQitemZ200421579109QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraCablesConnectors?hash=item2eaa0e9965#ht_6713wt_1108

It takes the photos itself at whatever intervals I want then I just put them together with video editing software.

Looking forward to doing one in the daytime, i'll work out how to post better quality videos on here too, because that last one was compressed to just 0.5mb

Anyway that's probably my last post of 2009 so Happy New Year everyone!