Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It was a precipitation accumulation of about 42mm near Sunderland, but near the coast it will always be more marginal so 42mm of precipitation would probably equate to about 15-20cm snow cover (still pretty impressive). Precipitation projections can't always be trusted though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Very heavy hail now mellow.gif and stops within 2minuites! wallbash.gif its give bearley a little smattering of hail cover to roofs

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Much clearer skies here now giving good views northeast towards the coast.

About 2 or 3 centimeters of fresh snow today and it is now turning icy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Nice cold/precipitation upgrade for the 2nd/3rd January on the latest GFS run, placing the shortwave even further west and drawing in cold air on its northern flank. Something to watch!

Posted

Very heavy hail now mellow.gif and stops within 2minuites! wallbash.gif its give bearley a little smattering of hail cover to roofs

SS your gunna end up with serious head injuries, the way you keep buttin that wall mate lol.

Some big CB's coming onto the coast north of Blyth and a CB devoloping heading straight for me

Temp -0.6c dew -2c

i can see them from here.

Posted

Must admit i am very impressed with the huge towers we have here, very summer like. Despite the top of the tower being over me, the main PPN core seems to be miles away still.

Good too see the showery activity has increased in the North Sea, showers still look a little hit and miss mind but if you do get a shower, it should last a while due to the lack of wind.

Posted

Can someone post the NW radar pretty please. I promise its my new years resolution to buy it. Would do it now but heading out for the fireworks at civic centre.

Posted

Can someone post the NW radar pretty please. I promise its my new years resolution to buy it. Would do it now but heading out for the fireworks at civic centre.

Proper showers building up now.:drinks:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Just had quite an amazing hail/graupel shower,now snowing, jeez that was intense and plenty more to come as ive just got back from the coast and the skies over the sea are amazing with huge anvils, honestly thought a bolt of lightning would have been produced out of that monster even had a wall cloud as it marched in.. I have photos will post when i get a chance.

Posted

Aye, some really big size hail just passed through here, intensity was nothing much too shout(to be fair, i was not under the main core of it) about but the size of the hail was. Not that surprising considering how high that shower cloud went up into the atmosphere.

Some snow showers would be nice now.

Intensity just increased albeit slightly smaller hail but still impressive. :drinks:

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Yep,that was a short and sharp hail shower.Some hail was a good 1cm in diameter.More to come but i agree,its about time we got some proper snow showers

Posted

Cleadon caught the southern flank of that hail shower- somewhere just to the north of Cleadon must have had an amazing deluge! Here the intensity was only moderate, but some of the hailstones were pea-sized, not far short of a centimetre diameter. Very impressive Cb towers for the time of year and equally impressive hailstones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Cleadon caught the southern flank of that hail shower- somewhere just to the north of Cleadon must have had an amazing deluge! Here the intensity was only moderate, but some of the hailstones were pea-sized, not far short of a centimetre diameter. Very impressive Cb towers for the time of year and equally impressive hailstones.

It's really intensified on the radar, I was looking at the structure thinking it was impressive for a weak shower. It's gone from rates of about 5mm per hour to about 40mm per hour in just 10 minutes.

Here's a couple of pics as it approached here...

post-3392-12622780787913_thumb.jpgpost-3392-12622780951013_thumb.jpg

Looming large overhead now but no ppn yet.

Posted

It's really intensified on the radar, I was looking at the structure thinking it was impressive for a weak shower. It's gone from rates of about 5mm per hour to about 40mm per hour in just 10 minutes.

Here's a couple of pics as it approached here...

post-3392-12622780787913_thumb.jpgpost-3392-12622780951013_thumb.jpg

Looming large overhead now but no ppn yet.

Great images there,i'll give you 50/50 odds of thundersnow from this.:drunk:

Posted

Great images there,i'll give you 50/50 odds of thundersnow from this.:drunk:

Just heard thunder! :cold:

EDIT: Not 100% sure though, there's fresh car tracks infront of our house it could have been the car crunching the snow!

Heavy hail now.

Posted

When are the first set of proper snow showers going to come! dry.gif

Posted

Some more intense showers to the north on the radar, moving towards this region from the NE. It could well be quite a night. Probably a mix of snow and hail in those.

Still marginal near the east coast btw- it was 1.4C as the hail shower approached but is now 2.3C, most likely due to the circulation from the shower picking up the wind off the North Sea.

Posted

Im quite dissapointed so far ive only had 3hail showers and there isnt even a dusting. :whistling: surely to god some of those snow showers have to come and lay wallbash.gif

Posted

Just heard thunder! :whistling:

EDIT: Not 100% sure though, there's fresh car tracks infront of our house it could have been the car crunching the snow!

Heavy hail now.

Was watching form the north facing "snow window" but didn't see any lightning or hear thunder.

There's always the next shower though.:whistling:

Posted

Another photo of the back of the shower. Wasn't much in the end, just fairly heavy hail for a few minutes. Plenty more to come though.

post-3392-12622796293913_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't mind a clear slot for the lunar eclipse. It apparently starts soon and peaks about 7:20.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The showers seem to be avoiding me at the moment. A band to the north and and a band to the south. :whistling:

Another photo of the back of the shower. Wasn't much in the end, just fairly heavy hail for a few minutes. Plenty more to come though.

post-3392-12622796293913_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't mind a clear slot for the lunar eclipse. It apparently starts soon and peaks about 7:20.

What percentage of the moon is due to be covered in the eclipse?