Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Quite a few very light snow flurries in the last hour, and the light showers out at sea on the radar are becoming more frequent so I reckon this afternoon could become very interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I certainly hope so. My 3 year old daughter is dying to make a snow man and I told her we need more than the 1.5cm covering so far.

Light snow has been falling here for over an hour now, with occasional moderate bursts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Looking at the sat image again,i reckon the convective clouds out in the north sea are about 2-3 hours away from making landfall.

Posted

Looks like I've got a nice supply of showers heading my way, just had one, light and grainy, melted straight away as it hit the deck!!

More to come and its looking promising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Moderate snow now with graupel mixed in with the flakes, and it's gone quite dark.

Posted

turning pretty slushy out there now - temps are going to drop tonight so more thance of a covering then i assume

Edited by izi

Posted

I have to say the latest FAX charts for the next 5 days are excellent for chances for snow for the NE England. There is a possibility of a Polar Low developing out of Norway and heading in our direction for tomorrow. That would be very very heavy snow and its one feature we have not seen for many years. Anyone know how many?

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's not a polar low- it's a shortwave that has been over Norway for some time (it probably contains the remnants of the depression that brought marginal/cold weather from 20 to 25 December). There will almost certainly be no precipitation associated with the low itself, but it will help to drag in plenty of heavy snow showers on its northern flank during the following night as an easterly wind picks up. It might turn the showers sleety near the coast to begin with, but that should only be temporary as a finger of sub -10C 850hPa air comes in.

The forecasters at Exeter are clearly expecting a trough to appear in the North Sea ahead of it for tomorrow which could help pep up shower activity especially near the coast.

High cloud is starting to clear from the north- I can see blue sky close by now.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I see the clear skies to Ian, temperatures should start to drop off quite readily (4.0°C and Dp at -0.8°C presently). I can also see those 'pinky' looking clouds you usually see when there's imminent snow, just off the coast, might just pop out for a few photogenic moments, better get me 'skates' on (or ski's..:cc_confused:) light will be fading soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I can report around 1pm there was a very heavy hail shower and then as it was dying out it turned to light snow but soon stopped so im still waiting for a covering! TWS do you think I will have one by this evening?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I see the clear skies to Ian, temperatures should start to drop off quite readily (4.0°C and Dp at -0.8°C presently). I can also see those 'pinky' looking clouds you usually see when there's imminent snow, just off the coast, might just pop out for a few photogenic moments, better get me 'skates' on (or ski's..:cc_confused:) light will be fading soon.

It's suddenly warmed up in Cleadon- it was hovering around 1.8C until about 20 minutes ago and it's now jumped to 3.2- I guess the wind must have picked up off the sea. Still, it should be cold enough for snow when the showers get underway.

I think Stockton stands a decent chance of having a snow cover this evening but I can't make too many promises as it all depends on where the showers hit and miss. You should have one by tomorrow morning though, possibly quite a substantial one.

Posted

GETTTIN! :lol: thanks TWS im oh so happy! :cc_confused: Im staying up to after midnight so I will know if i have a White New Year :) COME TO PAPA :D

Posted

Light Snow here but its only a little bit of snow not much and no chance laying atm

Posted

Just my luck.

18 inches of snow (43cm) announced for Tyne and Wear in the next 6 days and I am not going up there till the 9th so will not be able to watch it all fall

Gutted is not the word :drinks:

Posted

Just my luck.

18 inches of snow (43cm) announced for Tyne and Wear in the next 6 days and I am not going up there till the 9th so will not be able to watch it all fall

Gutted is not the word :(

dont worry about the predictions,anything can happen with setups like we have at present.

Posted

Aye, deluded is the word.

These showers looking at the MO radar look to be gaining in intensity.

Posted

Just my luck.

Gutted is not the word :(

Which fool predicted that? lol

Posted

Shower activity really hotting up in the n.sea. Looks like the 6pm forecast (from this morning) of showers hitting the region is going to be pretty near the mark.

Which fool predicted that? lol

Yes I has heard it was 42cm