Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Thank You To John Holmes

Paul

Posted

It's the end of an era for Netweather this morning as John Holmes has just updated his final alerts for the site as he is stepping aside from his operational forecasting role.

John has been with us for several years and has played a major role in pushing the forecasting on Netweather forward to where it stands today, his character, knowledge, experience and forecasting abilities have been appreciated not just by me and the rest of the team here at Netweather but by all of our users, and he's going to be sorely missed.

The good news is that John is hopefully going to be staying with us in another capacity (which we hope to give you news about sooner rather than later), and that Nick Finnis has already agreed to step up into John's role in leading the operational forecasting side of the site.

So, thank you John for everything, and good luck to Nick too :)

Paul

Posted

A cornerstone of Netweather and the voice of reason and knowledge. Thank you for all your the wise words and contributions John, I'm already looking forward to seeing what your new role is. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Big round of applause for John! :) Always the voice of reason who tells it like it is, your patience (and sometimes impatience) is legendary.

Good luck in your new role and good luck to Nick, tough shoes to fill Nick but your the man to do it!

Edited by Azores Hi

Posted

I would like to thank John Holmes for all the obvious hard work and effort he has put into the site,his forecasts and contributions in the model thread are always easy to read and balanced.

I'm sure many would share this sentiment,and would hope that he continues to post his thoughts.

Posted

i'm gunna miss your forecasts John.it was your posts that got me hooked on here a few years back.

for that i thankyou (not sure the wife does mind lol)have a great new year and thanks again peter.

Posted

I've had my differences with John regarding the MetO, but for me he his the cornerstone of Net Weather. I will miss his updates, and video forecasts tremendously. Hope you continue to add your input in the future John!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

A big thanks for all your work from this side of the Pennines too!

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Your concise, professional and level headed thoughts have been much appreciated 'Uncle' Johnsmile.gif I think that a comment that Ian Fergusson left on the model thread last night to a post you made says it all really

Looking forward to hearing what your new tasks are - no retirement yet then obviously!biggrin.gif

Congratulations to Nick F too on his promotion

Posted

Big round of applause for John! :shok: Always the voice of reason who tells it like it is, your patience (and sometimes impatience) is legendary.

Good luck in your new role and good luck to Nick, tough shoes to fill Nick but your the man to do it!

Yes, i'll second that. :) Edited by Koppite

Posted

I've always been interested in the weather and joined in early 2009 - it's thanks to John that I have learned a lot more about weather patterns, how to interpret models and a whole load of acronyms.

Thanks John for encouraging people to learn, and for providing help when people get out of their depth.

Gary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

John's willingness to engage, explain and often explain a second, third and fourth time is a big reason why Net Weather is the community it is. I look forward to seeing what it is you'll be doing next. Thanks, John.

Posted

The only member of the team who can remember the cold spells of the 1890's - Just kidding John :whistling:

Certainly John, you have been one of the reasons why so many joined, and indeed stayed, with NW.

Always a balanced and friendly guy, whether it a post on the weather, or any other topic.

Will miss your forecasts, and also your rants in the model thread.

Thanks for making the world of weather fun, for all your efforts behind and in front of the forum, and wishing you the best for the future - Enjoy whatever you do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Many, many thanks, John...I've learned more from you during these last five years, than from a entire 45yrs of dabbling! I hope we'll still be hearing from you, though?? :whistling::good::good:

Good luck, Nick...You've some act to follow! :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Thank you John for all your hard work over the years for Nw. I and many others have learnt a lot from your guides and many posts - always the voice of reason.

Good luck for the future in all that you do.

Posted

Thanks John & I hope we'll still hear from you. Strange, in a way with your local radio forecasts you've been a part of my weather life for over 30 years! Good luck & please don't stop your occasional rants, most of us love 'em!

Posted

A big thank you from me as well John. Having formerly worked with you on the forecast team, it was always a great pleasure to work with you and I certainly learnt a lot from you, and wouldn't be where I am today without your words of wisdom. All the best for the future mate.