Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

-0.6C now after a max of -0.4C. Cleaer blue skies and frosty grass remaining all day. Had a surprisingly high minimum last night though, just -3.1C...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Min last night: - 2.2c

Max today: 3.4c

Currently: 2.3c

Conditions:

Sun setting, Cumulus strands (orange in the setting sun) light winds.

Any snowfall will be surprise over the coming days....I seen the front on last nights BBC weather, I think most likely the further East on the Emerald Isle you are the more chance you have of seeing some light-moderate falls, but will be a nowcast situation.

Posted

Looking slightly more promising for extreme northern counties going by latest METO forecast:

Headline:

Staying cold with some wintry showers. Light winds..

This Evening and Tonight:

A mainly dry night with clear spells and another widespread frost but becoming cloudier in the north with sleet and snow showers before dawn. A chilling blustery Northwest wind blowing. Minimum temperature -4 °C.

Saturday:

Remaining frosty with patchy ice. Sleet and snow showers, especially over counties Antrim and Londonderry. Brighter across southern border areas. A chilling Northeast wind developing, particularly along coastal areas later. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Updated: 1505 on Fri 1 Jan 2010

Edited by mac_

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Currently -4.5c after a 20 minute snow shower , we have 1cm currently flakes were massive hopefully loads of these showers tonight!

Posted

Currently -4.5c after a 20 minute snow shower , we have 1cm currently flakes were massive hopefully loads of these showers tonight!

FrostyJoe?

What make is your temperature recording device amd where is it located?

Seriously?

Posted

was out for a drive now past sliabh beagh hills and they are loaded with snow. could only get as far as 200mts but even there has about 3 or 4 inches of new snow from wednesdays event. i suspect higher up could have got 6 inches of new snow on top of the 4 inches that was already there. 16 days with complete snow cover up there. might walk up there tomorrow and take some pics.

Posted

Hi Joe, these are the current official temps across NI at 16.00.

Have to agree with Baltic - your readings look a couple of degrees on the low side.

Aldergrove w7.gif -0.5 °C WSW 2 mph 12 km 1011 hPa, Rising Ballykelly w7.gif -0.6 °C E 5 mph 5 km 1011 hPa, Rising Ballypatrick Forest w7.gif 2.9 °C N 8 mph 35 km 1010 hPa, Rising Castlederg w7.gif 2.2 °C WNW 5 mph 35 km 1011 hPa, Rising Glenanne w3.gif 0.1 °C NW 10 mph 30 km 1010 hPa, Rising St Angelo w1.gif 1.6 °C NW 6 mph 15 km 1012 hPa, Rising

Edited by mac_

Posted

12z GFS shows far more ppn associated with the trough moving down tomorrow. Would be surprised not to see something now.

Also heads up on a possible event Monday night, with significant ppn showing on the 12z. If this continues expect parts of the north to have a weather watch like eastern areas of British mainland have at present.

Pressure beginning to drop though the night, and hopefully that will trigger a few more showers, real hit and miss though and a nowcast situation as The Watcher mentioned earlier.

Edited by mountain shadow

Posted

12z GFS shows far more ppn associated with the trough moving down tomorrow. Would be surprised not to see something now.

Also heads up on a possible event Monday night, with significant ppn showing on the 12z. If this continues expect parts of the north to have a weather watch like eastern areas of British mainland have at present.

Pressure beginning to drop though the night, and hopefully that will trigger a few more showers, real hit and miss though and a nowcast situation as The Watcher mentioned earlier.

Do you think Monday's event could sink south?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I think I know what culd be wrong with Joes Thermo Sensor? It must be frozen solid...I noticed mine did the same, when it was snow covered it lowered the output to a degree below what my actual temp was.

Currently 1.5c here, a drop of around 1c in the last 2 hours.

Hopefully we will see some showers in the next few days, I got very excited in the Bangor shower last night....HUGE flakes in it and I thought a streamer had started....whistling.gif

Posted

Hi Joe, these are the current official temps across NI at 16.00.

Have to agree with Baltic - your readings look a couple of degrees on the low side.

Aldergrove w7.gif -0.5 °C WSW 2 mph 12 km 1011 hPa, Rising Ballykelly w7.gif -0.6 °C E 5 mph 5 km 1011 hPa, Rising Ballypatrick Forest w7.gif 2.9 °C N 8 mph 35 km 1010 hPa, Rising Castlederg w7.gif 2.2 °C WNW 5 mph 35 km 1011 hPa, Rising Glenanne w3.gif 0.1 °C NW 10 mph 30 km 1010 hPa, Rising St Angelo w1.gif 1.6 °C NW 6 mph 15 km 1012 hPa, Rising

well if any of you have noticed I am in coleraine and am 100 m up the nearest station is ballykelly which is 15 miles away and am higher up. Earlier out in the car temp was -2 c at 2p

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted

I think I know what culd be wrong with Joes Thermo Sensor? It must be frozen solid...I noticed mine did the same, when it was snow covered it lowered the output to a degree below what my actual temp was.

Currently 1.5c here, a drop of around 1c in the last 2 hours.

Hopefully we will see some showers in the next few days, I got very excited in the Bangor shower last night....HUGE flakes in it and I thought a streamer had started....whistling.gif

Chance of showers tomorrow but dry on Sunday. Monday brings the promise of something more substantial.

Edited by mac_

Posted

Just on the subject of thermometers, I only have a cheapo thing you'd pick up in the likes of a garden centre and have always wondered if it's accurate or not. It's currently reading approx -3.8 and judging by the temps posted by mac it's maybe not that accurate. I know we would often get snow/frost when others mightn't but I'll maybe look at getting something that is classed as accurate as it would be nice to know for sure.

Edit: Just thinking we still have snow lying from the shower that we had last night, there's been very minimal thaw so I suppose it mightn't be too far out.

Edited by Watsy

Posted

-2.5 here at the moment, and the temperature is steadily dropping. Met Eireann mentions -9 or -10 in parts of Munster tonight so could be a cold one :)

Posted

Just had a moderate rain shower here in Derry that last for about 30 mins. Can't really understand why it didn't fall as snow. Would be nice to wake up to another dusting in the morning. Last night we had a heavy snow shower at about 11, left everything white. Its now been nearly 14 days with snow on the ground and temperatures hovering around 0. This cold spell is really something special and things are looking really good for the rest of the winter. Happy New Year to everyone on here.

Posted

Just had a moderate rain shower here in Derry that last for about 30 mins. Can't really understand why it didn't fall as snow. Would be nice to wake up to another dusting in the morning. Last night we had a heavy snow shower at about 11, left everything white. Its now been nearly 14 days with snow on the ground and temperatures hovering around 0. This cold spell is really something special and things are looking really good for the rest of the winter. Happy New Year to everyone on here.

Yeah, how come it fell as rain? The temps are low enough for snow. :rolleyes:

A few minutes ago, I noticed a few flakes falling here in Dublin. Lasted about 1 minute!

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

What!!' that shower here fell as heavy dry snow and left a covering which is still lying! Are u sure my grandma in eglinton had snow... What was ure max?

Posted

well if any of you have noticed I am in coleraine and am 100 m up the nearest station is ballykelly which is 15 miles away and am higher up. Earlier out in the car temp was -2 c at 2p

Car temps need to be taken with caution. My wife's car consistently reads 2.5c lower than actual temp.

Temp here is -0.4 with a 1c drop in the last 15 mins!

Think the radar is going to be very carefully watched over tomorrow.

Welcome aboard Mac_! :cold:

Posted

Well i do know what rain looks like. Not sure of the temp at the minute but we would have had a nice covering if it had of been snow!! Ah well now gonna cry over a little rain. Only thing is that it will freeze over and will be hazardous on the roads and pavements.

Posted

The car here always reads 1.5-2C colder aswell, so there definitely not to be relied upon.

Now down to -3.8C here. Could my -7.6C be in danger tonight?

Posted

Here in Dublin the snow did not melt at all all day. Its really compact and icy. Deadly driving conditions. Expecting alot of snow for the East next week and the midlands and Northwest. The North will have snow Monday night.

Edited by The Eagle