Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion:

Methuselah

Posted

All white here in Stamullen now :D

What site you using for the radar Brig?

Just flicking between Met Eireann and UKMet, nothing special.

The heaviest stuff just missed me in Balbriggan, I just got a short burst of soft hail and sleet.

Temp is now 2.6C.

Plenty of snow in Dublin City by the looks of things.

The showers and cloud should clear away by morn, leaving us in sub-zero temps.

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi Tamara,

And a very happy New Year to you too. I can alway count on your support for the Irish winter cause:rolleyes:

Posted

Dublin airport is reporting -3C with a westerly breeze, while here, 15 miles away, it is +2C with an easterly breeze.

No snow, no frost! The joys of living by the sea! :bomb::)

Posted

Happy New Year everyone! The west and northside of Dublin seem to be particularly affected. There is snow and ice on the ground. I missed the heavy snow shower at around midnight while I was ringing in the new year in the pub! But coming home on the night bus was a hoot! The bus had to stop half way into the journey and give up as the roads were that bad! A lot of the snow had become compacted and was freezing over and both roads and pavements were becoming treacherous. Further along the way, the road was blocked with cars unable to move and sliding down the hill. After walking for about 20 minutes, I got a taxi for the last bit of my journey and there was another heavy snow shower (around 4 am). Near my house, the taxi skidded out of control and did a 180 degree turn on the road. At least I'm safe at home now! What a night!

The wind seems to be veering to a NE direction now. They're saying there won't be showers in Dublin tomorrow.

Met Eireann are saying the north and west of Ireland will get snow during next week.

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

Snow showers on and off all night here in dublin .bitterly cold.

Hard to explain coverage ,some back roads clear ,some back roads not.

Very icey underfoot

Happy new Year and what a great start

Edited by cold snap

Posted

very severe frost, ice. stunning sunny morning. overnight low -8.4c. currently -4.9c. cold.gif

The sun this morning is lovely its shining on the snow .still well below freezing at the moment.

These conditons very similar to huge parts of eastern europe i would of thought.

Great that they are outside my house i would pay good money to see this.

A true winters day .Superb

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

temp -5.7c after a min of -7c .. expecting snow showers later on hopefully lying! :lol: and a big load of snow tomorrow! IF cloud overnight does not rise temp above 0c! :drinks:

Edited by frostyjoe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

has anyone read the met eireann weather forecast. jeez ive never read a forecast like that before. :o :cold:

Posted

I stayed up lampost watching 'til about 6am. :)

Most of stuff that fell and accumulated on the ground here, at sea level in Balbriggan, was soft hail, rather than actual snow.

It did snow for a time, but didnt amount to very much. At best, theres a 1cm thick covering of this hail/snow/hail mix on most surfaces. Oh joy! :D

Temp eventually bottomed out at -2.2C, but is now at a balmy +1.2C.

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted

has anyone read the met eireann weather forecast. jeez ive never read a forecast like that before. :):rofl:

I know. However, Leinster don't seem to figure much in their snow forecast. It's all about Ulster and Connacht! NOT fair!!!!:)

Posted

has anyone read the met eireann weather forecast. jeez ive never read a forecast like that before. :o :)

I think it is actually a little more conservative than recent days!

The forecast on Wednesday was so over the top I saved the whole forecast to my PC! The outlook started with this: :)

The first week in 2010 is set to be bitterly cold with a direct feed of Polar air down over Ireland. Heavy snow showers are likely and very severe frosts. Daytime temperatures will hardly rise above freezing at best with icy conditions persisting all day in many areas and nightime minima will fall below -5 degrees and in places below minus 10 degrees.

Happy New Year all!

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted

I know. However, Leinster don't seem to figure much in their snow forecast. It's all about Ulster and Connacht! NOT fair!!!!:aggressive:

expect surprise snowfalls, we are under unstable air, not a hp cell. too hard to forecast snow in these set ups.

Posted

A light covering here from yesterdy evening.

GFS ppn forecast indicates a band of snow moving south during tomorrow, however BBC weather forecast show this as a dying cloudy feature only.

Lets hope for the former.

Posted

-3c here had a snow shower everywhere really dry snow gave a small covering but no more showers coming! is a band coming?

Posted

-3c here had a snow shower everywhere really dry snow gave a small covering but no more showers coming! is a band coming?

The Meto Fax charts show a trough pushing south during tomorrow. The debate is whether it will ce a cloudy feature or a snowy one. Being on the north coast you have a better chance than me.

Northern Ireland actually has low pressure parked over the top tomorrow, whether their is enough instability around to produce snow showers is another matter.

Forecasted showery activity for this afternoon does not appear to be happening.

Posted

outside temp 0.2c, maxed out at 0.4c, super sunny day with perma frost in the shade, very icy too. :cold: