Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Replacement Graphics Card

At the moment, I've got an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro graphics card in my machine, which works fine, but is so bloody noisy that I'm going to kick the thing to bits soon. The fan on it makes such a racket, and I took it to Maplins the other day to get a replacement fan for it, but the assistant simply found me a fan roughly the same size as the one it's already got, and couldn't be sure how I'd fit it. It would appear Maplins are the new Currys.

Anyway, can anyone advise me on a replacement card? It's got to have dual monitor output (I run my monitors so one links to the other, and they're set at 1680 x 1505 resolution) , but doesn't have to be especially high powered, as I don't play games on it. Most of all though, it's got to be quiet! Unless, of course, anyone can point me in the direction of a replacement fan for my current card?!

If it makes a difference, my computer has Core 2 6700 @ 2.66GHz, with 3.12GB of RAM running XP Pro.

Lovely.

Oooooooo....it's, erm....slots into a slot on the thingy. I'll have to check. Having said that though, I took it off at lunchtime, unscrewed the fan and dropped a tiny drop of 3-in-one onto it, and screwed it back on...tightly. It's not making the noise anymore, so perhaps it's going to be ok. If it does start again though, I wonder if the fan is really necessary, as it has a pretty pokey looking heat-sink on it, and there's plenty of air moving about inside the case, with plenty of space.

I'd not risk it without the fan, those buggers can get very hot and you wouldn't want it to melt your motherboard or worse. My graphics card makes it sound like my pc is about to take off when it's being worked, so I wouldn't recommend it, no idea what model it is though, useful info eh?

That type of card runs very hot so you'll need some kind if heat sink. Had a look round and can't find a replacement passive heat sink for that particular card you have.

The 3 in 1 will work for a time.

This fan is listed as being compatible but there are some that say it doesnt fit due to a capacitor on the board probably due to the different versions..

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=379&language=en

When my monitor froze, and started flashing lots of odd colours, I wondered if I'd plugged the fan back in correctly. I hadn't. Blimey it was hot!

It's still quiet though, so I'll see how long it lasts, and then get a replacement....nice link Potty. Better than Paul's 'help'. I don't know why he bothers.