Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Good luck for today, Catch! :whistling::good:

Still freezing here. But, no more snow! :rofl:

Good luck for today, Catch! :pardon::cold:

Still freezing here. But, no more snow! :D

Thanks Peter, I am sure all will be fine. The hospital staff are first rate!!

I think the weather is listening to me as just as I posted about the rubbish weather some really heavy snow came on. Just a shower, but thick snow nonetheless.

Edit: Showers are penetrating all the way to the west coast!!

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

much of our snow has thawed overnight but we are getting some insane squalls in this easterly which keep bringing snow down to sea level in garelochhead, nothing sticking though... seems a few degrees above 0c now

much of our snow has thawed overnight but we are getting some insane squalls in this easterly which keep bringing snow down to sea level in garelochhead, nothing sticking though... seems a few degrees above 0c now

Plenty more on the way too AC :D

I am not surprised that the snow showers are making it all the way across Scotland, the wind is very strong. The downside is that the temps have risen during the day, 3C now. As and when the temps drop away it is going to be immensely icy. Met-O take note :D

Posted

We have Weather warningsdrinks.gif

Rain sleet and snow showers will turn more generally to snow overnight and on Thursday morning, giving several cm in places. As temperatures fall, widespread ice will form on untreated roads and pavements, especially where the showers turned wetter during Wednesday. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1202 Wed 30 Dec

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/dg/dg_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

For the first time in ages, the temp is above zero...Wind's backing more NE, so colder air must be on the way back? Typically tropical! :D

Posted

The 6-15 day Met Office forecast looks good for snow for Scotland. I always love the term 'prolonged snow at times'.

UK Outlook for Monday 4 Jan 2010 to Wednesday 13 Jan 2010:

Many central and southern parts of England and Wales should enjoy a good deal of mostly dry and bright, but very cold weather throughout the period. Elsewhere, sleet and snow showers are likely to affect many northern and eastern parts with periods of more prolonged snow at times, particularly over parts of Scotland. Some very cold nights are expected with locally severe frost and ice on untreated surfaces. There is also a risk of overnight freezing fog across inland parts which may be slow to clear. Towards the end of the period it may turn a little less cold across parts of southwest England, but still with a risk of rain, sleet or snow at times.

Updated: 1202 on Wed 30 Dec 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Today is disappointing and boring so far. The 0900-0900hr max temp, 3.6C occurred just before 0900h today. I recorded a 24mph ENE wind at 0900hr. However, it is starting to get colder, the temp was 3.2C at 1200hr and the dewpoint is -1C. The snow is thawing espcially on roofs. Snow depth at 0900hr, 8.5cm- an increase of 1cm from yesterday. There has been occassional light showers of sleet, snow and snow pellets this morning. The atmosphere seems to be too stable at present. The cumulus congestus clouds have a low liquid water content. A layer of medium cloud might indicate a temperature inversion at middle levels. I think -7C 850's are too marginal for snow, the easterly 2 weeks was colder- 850's of -10C.

Yeh we are wet this morning too. Sleet and hail showers. The wind swings slighty more to the north of east later today, and hopefully this will drop the temps little.wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Leuchars is showing 5.1.........that is some warming effect off the sea!!!

Leuchars is 12C warmer today compared to the same time yesterday! (-7C yesterday).

Edited by snow1975

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Feels a bit like a sunshine and showers northerly in April, with temperatures of 3.6C but a dewpoint below freezing! Temperatures still rising a bit here but will hopefully fall in an hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Slightly dripping thick white custard today, sleet and hail showers below about 150m. Nearly got wiped out by a large dollop of snow and ice falling off a tree! Red kites must be getting hungry, they're circling over the towns like vultures now.

Typical mad nw forecast taken straight off the 06 GFS run has us under freezing snowy weather till kingdom come. :):) except I'll be out of work! :)

Posted

A strange mix in the showers??? Sleet, snow, snizzle, slizzle, graupel...And Dalcross is still at -2C??? :):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A strange mix in the showers??? Sleet, snow, snizzle, slizzle, graupel...And Dalcross is still at -2C??? :):)

A bit odd that, it's 3C here, although just starting to drop again now (max was 3.5C at 12:20) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Pressure slowly rising at Embra airport ... 1hpa per hour or so since around 9AM. East-coast dewpoints now generally back to 0c or below - even in Embra - so we're probably leaving the sleet/rain showers behind and looking at snow showers east coast wide again. East-coast air temps still generally around 3 to 4C from Wick to Newcastle but not worried about that with the return of these nice zero/sub-zero dewpoints. The wet pavements here are drying rapidly which is another indicator of this dryer air having arrived.

Minor bonus here has been the unlikely retention of snow in my Leith tenament back-garden area - OK theres as much grass as snow, its badly degraded, crusted, slushy and absolutely unuseable - but still there. Hillside Bowling Club (the bowling green in the middle of the tenament block where I live) still has absolutely intact cover ...although its only possible use could be for skating or curling. The baltic ground temperatures of the past 2 weeks have caused some of the snow here to stick around here well past its sell-by date !

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

showers of sleet and snow down here all morning and afternoon but also a thaw at the same time temps are up and down between 1.0c-2.0c dewpoints are the same 0.0-1.1 we need these temps to drop for anything to stickaggressive.gif

Posted

Yeah up here in Wick the temps has been around 3-4°C since about 1am this morning and the breeze als picked up gusting to 35mph

im delighted to see the met office warning for tonight possibility of between 5-10 cm of snowyahoo.gif hope it happens

im annoyed we had a good dusting of snow yesterday but its all thawed now

Edited by weatherboy

Posted

Going by the MO warnings the wind must be about to swing due North as they are saying snow in Aberdeen ect and also the SE Scotland, and showers dying out elsewhere. If it was going to be NE wind then the whole of the coast would be affected but looks like just ares exposed to true North windwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Temp has varied between 1 and 2 cent here, it is the highest temps for a few days and the snow is thawing slowly, I am expecting lower temps tonight and the snow to stop thawing.

SS2

Posted

Quite balmy here at +1c had several short sharp snow and hail showers this morning with a moderate easterly breeze but at least the metal gates are not freezing to your fingers as yesterday.A truly remarkable cold spell especially if caries on for a few more weeks as predicted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

The cold spell is still ongoing SP33, despite this warm-up blip (which is now coming to a close...)

We've had snow from all angles this past 2 weeks - sometimes implausibly so ! Not that I'd put my mortgage on the models but it seems likely that we have at least another 2 weeks of cold up here ... things will change during that time .... and there will be further snow threats to come, some of which will happen even if we can't say where or when yet.

If you go back to the cold winters from the mid-late 70's to the 1980's ... then often the best guide to the weeks ahead ... was the preceeding weeks. The past 2 weeks have been exceptionally interesting here and it looks very likely to be the case going forward !

Enjoy ! :pardon:

Going by the MO warnings the wind must be about to swing due North as they are saying snow in Aberdeen ect and also the SE Scotland, and showers dying out elsewhere. If it was going to be NE wind then the whole of the coast would be affected but looks like just ares exposed to true North windwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Yeah up here in Wick the temps has been around 3-4°C since about 1am this morning and the breeze als picked up gusting to 35mph

im delighted to see the met office warning for tonight possibility of between 5-10 cm of snowyahoo.gif hope it happens

im annoyed we had a good dusting of snow yesterday but its all thawed now

Welcome to netweather, WB...It's mad in here, the now! :drinks:

Posted

Welcome to netweather, WB...It's mad in here, the now! drinks.gif

Cheers Pete yeah it is i have been following the cold spell topic sinced it started but never posted anything so i thought i shouldbiggrin.gif

Posted

Quite balmy here at +1c had several short sharp snow and hail showers this morning with a moderate easterly breeze but at least the metal gates are not freezing to your fingers as yesterday.A truly remarkable cold spell especially if caries on for a few more weeks as predicted.

I've been here for 21 years, NL; and, this is the longest run of snowdays I can remember. And, judging from the latest MetO update, we have more snow to come. Sometimes, a brief respite can be very welcome?? :drinks:

Posted

I've been here for 21 years, NL; and, this is the longest run of snowdays I can remember. And, judging from the latest MetO update, we have more snow to come. Sometimes, a brief respite can be very welcome?? :drinks:

Couldnt agree more...its nice to feel your fingers again and to venture outside without always putting the hat and scarf on!!