Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hardly Any Females If Any On Netweather?

Cymro

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are males more likely to take an interest with the weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Haven't got the hair for it these days, come to think of it, bit lacking in the steed department too. Anyway, I've already streaked in the snow, isn't that enough?

Haven't got the hair for it these days, come to think of it, bit lacking in the steed department too. Anyway, I've already streaked in the snow, isn't that enough?

Wicked - I need at least my long johns for that! Did you do the Scandi bit of smacking with the birch twigs as well?

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Been here a long time!!! Just dont post much. Like to sit back and read everyone else's thoughts.

Mandy xxx

Posted

Wicked - I need at least my long johns for that! Did you do the Scandi bit of smacking with the birch twigs as well?

God no! I did the get dressed as quickly as possible, retreat to the pub bit.

Posted

I think it's perhaps the user names that are deceiving

sometimes.

I must admit that until recently I thought that Jethro was a bloke :oops:

I can understand why some women don't want to advertise that they are given that there could be some very strange people who might take advantage :mellow:

Overall I think we tend to sit back and watch you blokes argue about what you see in the charts :)

Anyway, speak up ladies, make yourselves heard :)

I must admit that until recently I thought that Jethro was a bloke :lol:

I can understand why some women don't want to advertise that they are given that there could be some very strange people who might take advantage :lol:

Overall I think we tend to sit back and watch you blokes argue about what you see in the charts :lol:

Anyway, speak up ladies, make yourselves heard :wallbash:

I think the part marked "Female" just after "Gender" gives us a clue

Posted

I accept the avatar could be a little misleading (it's my cats name, gave up trying to register in various other already taken names, in frustration settled upon his).

You mean "does my bum look big in this" was already taken??

<<<< runs and finds another spade and starts digging........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think there's a good chance that more females than males choose not to disclose their gender which may account for a significant proportion of the difference.

Posted

I think there's a good chance that more females than males choose not to disclose their gender which may account for a significant proportion of the difference.

I think there is a good chance of that being the case however i also feel most of those who have signed up and have not included there gender and age and location means they either signed up once and not came back or simply don't know how 2 fill those fields in(you do at times get people asking how to do it in threads) or even as some on here, just simply not want people to know their gender hence some have "not telling" in the gender field.

Would be nice too see more women on here posting, they are knowledgeable as men i'm sure!

Posted

You mean "does my bum look big in this" was already taken??

<<<< runs and finds another spade and starts digging........

You promised my apple catchers were our little secret.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It is certainly true that not many females post regularly in the technical weather areas of the forum or even the Model Output Discussion, which is a shame. I get the impression that there are a number of female members who are afraid to contribute to those areas in case they get embarrassed and out of their depth- whereas many of the male members, when faced with that position, have chosen to take part anyway and learn more as they go along.

I fell into the latter category when I first started on internet weather forums- I did have a grounding in forecasting, synoptic climatology and statistical climatology back then (mainly thanks to the BBC forecasts of the 1990s) but had very little understanding of the forecast models, teleconnections and their respective strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps there's too many female members out there who are afraid to post for that kind of reason and there's a confidence barrier to get through.

My personal experiences have consistently failed to reveal any significant gender gap when it comes to general level of interest in the weather.

Posted

A previous poster mentioned that they thought that women might just look at their regional forums and not the model discussion. i am one of them. i mainly look at the north west forum and sometimes dip into the midlands forum (as i am originally from there and my parents still live there)

i find as well as being a woman, not as knowledgeble as some, and not as argumentative (and not from the south-east when it comes to model discussion) i am often ignored.

i remember a couple of years ago i said there wasn't snow where i was and another poster who is very local to me said that he had 2 inches. I live at the top of a very high hill in the saddleworth moors and he is a lot lower than me. it just happened that i drove past where he lives. he had no snow.

i never mentioned this, but he had quoted my previous post and just typed 'ignore' under it.

what is the point.

by the way. i had 15 inches of snow last week and it was never even mentioned on any forcast - why is that? i noticed that the bbc were showing footage of people being upset because they had about 2 inches (it looked like) and had had to leave their cars in herts or bucks or somewhere. i still have about 4 inches and have been living with it for 2 weeks.

anyway....thats of my chest.....erm...happy new year. :)

Posted

Don't worry about being ignored, the key is to whitter on so often, nobody can ignore you. Trust me on this, I've whittered endlessly in the climate change area.....

The way I look at it is imagine being in a pub, you've been dragged along with a mate on a night out with their mates, folk acknowledge you but you're not really part of the conversation. You go out on a few more of these nights, gradually you get to know them, they get to know you, before too long, you're in the midst of the fray. A lot of posters on here have been having virtual conversations for quite literally years, it takes time to integrate but once you have, you're very much involved in the party.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

It is certainly true that not many females post regularly in the technical weather areas of the forum or even the Model Output Discussion, which is a shame. I get the impression that there are a number of female members who are afraid to contribute to those areas in case they get embarrassed and out of their depth- whereas many of the male members, when faced with that position, have chosen to take part anyway and learn more as they go along.

I fell into the latter category when I first started on internet weather forums- I did have a grounding in forecasting, synoptic climatology and statistical climatology back then (mainly thanks to the BBC forecasts of the 1990s) but had very little understanding of the forecast models, teleconnections and their respective strengths and weaknesses. Perhaps there's too many female members out there who are afraid to post for that kind of reason and there's a confidence barrier to get through.

My personal experiences have consistently failed to reveal any significant gender gap when it comes to general level of interest in the weather.

There is definitely a confidence barrier to get through - I've been through it big time! And still do go through it actually, which is why it can be easy to get defensive at times. Which I am too, as some people know!

In all honesty, whilst I am interested in the weather as just one of my varied interests, I found that once I started to read more technical posts on joining internet weather it became hard to resist trying to put that into practice once I thought I had at least a basic understanding of it. Suddenly that is when the confidence thing kicks in, and you say to yourself, OMG I've ventured into an area where you are a minority member!

Like walking into a male outback pub in Aussie land lol!laugh.gif

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

some of the best and friendlyest memebrs are female.

louby, jan, caspcular ray, cakie, flag pole and soaring hawk to name a few.

I assume I come under the 'best' category because I certainly ain't friendlygirl_devil.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I'm 100% female and I've been on NW since April 2006, but I had a bit of a blip, I read the charts, avidly, and I am usually hanging out in the Model Thread discussion, I have posted in there on an odd occasion, otherwise I am in the regional threads, and I do feel more confident about posting in there. Weather is my hobby be it snow, thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes or sunshine. I am self taught and feel as if I can't compete with more learned members, so I tend to just read and take it all in and shout at them from afar when they are arguing or ramping.

I have had a few posts which have been ignored too and I am a "h***y a***d" male - perhaps is that the reason why, or perhaps others don't think that what I say sometimes is worthy of comment.

Though I did have some experience in the met office getting on for 50 years ago a lot of what I did etc is now very much out of date and I am floundering sometimes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

My dream is to go proper stormchasing in the US and see a tornado, I have done it in this country chasing thunder storms around my own local area, wont make it to USA this year maybe next year.

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Yep there are a few of us ladies around. Been a member myself for some time, however as weather is a hobby, i feel my knowledge isn't great enough to attempt the model thread but was very happy to post in regional threads. (will now have to look for alternative areas to post now that these threads have been closed)

I enjoy all kinds of weather too and would dearly love to go stormchasing although not sure if DH would agree being left with the kids! lol!

Posted

I think there should be more old Highland cottages on Net-Wx. I think I'm the only one? :drinks::p