Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

okay.... so temp at my local weather station is 0.8C and the dew point is 1C

How the hell can it be snowing outside because its snowing quite moderately atm!

have they got my dew point wrong? should te dew point temp be lower than that for snow? im confused cc_confused.gif

Posted

Meh! looks like it's gonna miss....is that the centre of the low? if so, the front may start to pull a bit south again as it passes eastwards.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

Posted

Blimey that band to the SW is certainly interesting especially as my rain has now turned to wet snow.

Posted

Been all rain here, all day!

John Holmes did say that this would be a non event for us lower level peeps. Wish I would have listened more to the net weather severe weather warning.

Met have had heavy snow over my location from 3 am this morning and as per usual not 1 flake here. They continue to show this for worcester, Malvern and Pershore (the 3 main weather reporting stations to my location) but I no longer have confidence in this for the remainder of the spell. Even the Beebs forecasts had snow over us. I am just wondering what the SW Midlands needs to do to see some of the white stuff. I thought that this would be the ideal setup for snow for here, or was it just not cold enough before the rain band got here?

I feel your pain snowhope! I really thought we would be in luck with this kind of setup but just missed out again. Meanwhile back on lamppost watch it's trying hard to sleet...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

The heavy showers passing over me quite quickly - was hoping they might stall as any snow we have will melt once it stops I guess?

Posted

Are you also from Norton Canes? Welcome to Netweather! biggrin.gif

Thanks Nick drinks.gif Yes unfortunately for all my sins in life I do live in Norton Canes. Cant believe how much snow we,ve had this evening must be close to an inch or so now and still bucketing downcold.gif I,m in two minds whether to have a few beers and hope I get snowed off work tomorrow but I know that as soon as I open a bottle it will stop and I,ll have to go to work with a hangoverwacko.gif lol. Thanks for the welcome by the way mate and long may this weather continueclap.gif

Posted

Blimey that band to the SW is certainly interesting especially as my rain has now turned to wet snow.

Looks rather tasty doesn't it Dave? I don't think this one was picked up very well by the forecasts. At least not the ones I saw which showed the precip just fizzling out over Northants once the main band cleared to the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

okay.... so temp at my local weather station is 0.8C and the dew point is 1C

How the hell can it be snowing outside because its snowing quite moderately atm!

have they got my dew point wrong? should te dew point temp be lower than that for snow? im confused cc_confused.gif

Dewpoint is never higher than the actual temperature. Its wrong.

Posted

I've refrained all evening, but can wait no more...This 'event' (well for me anyway) has been utterly crud, especially with all the weather warnings thrown around like candy for my neck of the woods...Nice to see people within a few miles of me getting coverings, but when the kids expect a good covering snow, based on what they see on TV and what I tell them (based on met office/NW weather warnings) then you cant blame me for loosing faith in forecast models...Apologies for blowing my stack, just had enough of mother nature's false promises for one night!!

If anything it makes it worse when people within a few miles get coverings and you don't- to be honest I'd rather it rained everywhere than keep getting these everywhere-but-round here situations. This has to be the most disappointing cold snap of the 2000s here, even by Shrewsbury standards the way we've repeatedly missed the snow from all directions and got rain and sleet when it should have snowed is unbelievable. If elevation is such a big deal why does it keep sticking at the same height as me or less in places like Northants and East Anglia but not here???

Posted

Come on......................

Look at those pinks and whites! That's some serious snowfall potentially for parts of the county. Looks like the very heaviest could skirt too far east though.

Posted

Proper snowing now here in Banbury. :)

(Had to edit speeling twice..must be the wine and port mix)

Edited by xanadu

Posted

Been snowing well over 3 hours now, but only a couple of cms on the ground, due to it being to light and a little wet i think. Oh well better than nowt.

Posted

Look at those pinks and whites! That's some serious snowfall potentially for parts of the county. Looks like the very heaviest could skirt too far east though.

Blow it back laugh.gif

Posted

Still snowing moderately here, that time when it turned sleety was very brief.

Probably got about a centimeter im guessing now on most surfaces, a bit more/ a bit less on other surfaces.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers

As soon as you come over the Hednesford road and chase towards Rugeley, you loe over 80M's altitude, I live about 600M from the power station entrance as well, which causes a problem snow wise - there has been some snow here tonight - BUT it was a sleety mix and the ground was always to wet for snow. As for the metoffice's forecast of 5-10Cm with more in places - thats an absolute utter disgrace and they should stop covering there backs at first attempt and just put a reasonable foreacst out. I give up on snow, i think i refuse to keep watching charts and build ups and just see what falls out of my window - its absolutely horrendous here for snow and the dissapointing feeling when nothing delivers is bloody horrendous!. Disgusted.

Yes, I'm with you there, like I said earlier my son cut short his break with me so he wasn't back too late for work & he could have stayed another day BUT the night is young, anything could happen! cc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Thanks Nick drinks.gif Yes unfortunately for all my sins in life I do live in Norton Canes. Cant believe how much snow we,ve had this evening must be close to an inch or so now and still bucketing downcold.gif I,m in two minds whether to have a few beers and hope I get snowed off work tomorrow but I know that as soon as I open a bottle it will stop and I,ll have to go to work with a hangoverwacko.gif lol. Thanks for the welcome by the way mate and long may this weather continueclap.gif

Come on, some parts aren't bad! :) Unless you live towards down the murky depths of Norton East...:)

Still throwing it down here too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Proper snowing now here in Banbury. yahoo.gif

20 miles south its still rain although radar suggest snow

Very near Bicester

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks like the rain goes to snow 3 miles north of me

Edited by stewfox

Posted

all i can say to nick is, well done for getting snow this time round. how much has fallen in norton canes? im not gonna throw toys out of the pram this time round, considering the fact the driveway has now got a puddle or two this evening . we have done well the last 2 times it has snowed, and we had 5 days of lying snow this december, which has beaten the last few decembers hands down, with 2/3cm on the ground. this time, the rain acted as a "vortex" for any falling snow. anyway, judging by the latest outputs, the cold weather will continue, and as long as the cold air sits over the british isles, the chance of snow will remain. as long as the vortex stays clear of greenland/canada, and sits over scandi, this could enhance our chances. well done to those who have got snow, better luck next time to those who dont. :)