Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I know, i thought it would of been a messy picture although i do expect it to firm up over night.

Slushy covering on the car and wall.

Posted

Just been reading through the model output discussion and there was a lot of hype over the latest ecm run. Is this run even better than the gfs 12z for our part of the world as I thought that brought a fair bit of snow and cold for us. Would love to know what anyone else thinks of this.

The ECM is sensational and we would get lots of snow from that mate.It's just a shame it won't be like that on the next run :whistling:

Posted

The ECM is sensational and we would get lots of snow from that mate.It's just a shame it won't be like that on the next run laugh.gif

Cheers mate I was hoping you would say that. When should we start to see anything snow wise then? BBC forecasts don't seem to suggest a great deal nor does the calendar forecast. I wish Paul Hudson was about, I hate the weather forecasts during Christmas time!

Posted

The ECM is sensational and we would get lots of snow from that mate.It's just a shame it won't be like that on the next run laugh.gif

Cheers mate I was hoping you would say that. When should we start to see anything snow wise then? BBC forecasts don't seem to suggest a great deal nor does the calendar forecast. I wish Paul Hudson was about, I hate the weather forecasts during Christmas time!

I think late thursday onwards but i could be wrong. Anything before that would probably just be rain/sleet for us.

Im surprised how high the temp is here,which is 6c.

Posted

I think late thursday onwards but i could be wrong. Anything before that would probably just be rain/sleet for us.

Yeah, I thought that its been around 6 degrees all day here so little chance of anything other than rain. Hope your right about Thursdaydrinks.gif

Posted

The ECM is sensational and we would get lots of snow from that mate.It's just a shame it won't be like that on the next run ;)

According to Nick,in the Model discussion,the NOAA have faith in the ECM operational - so good news mate :whistling:

Posted

According to Nick,in the Model discussion,the NOAA have faith in the ECM operational - so good news mate :whistling:

if thats case then dream E/NE would really make my day thats for sure! perk up the spirits!

Posted

Yeah thats great news mate and hopefully things are still on track tomorrow as far as the ECM goes.Time for the GFS 18Z ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

If 12z ECM verfies as is, then temps and dew points would be Ok inland from early pm thursday, perhaps late on thursday night for coastal areas, but looks fine for all after that.

ECM ensembles for Holland are out and the operational run is on the colder side of the ensembles certainly, but does have some support too, and isn't the coldest run either!

Edited by Just Before Dawn

Posted

Sleet here, we did have snow for about 10mins.

Another local lad, Golcar!

Slawit here.

It doesn't seem to know whether it wants to sleet or snow at present, seems to be switching from one to the other every ten mins

yep, looked out before I came upstairs and it was drizzle. Just looked out now and it is snowing again. No settling anywhere, although it is small flakes and verging on moderate.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Well, precipitation arrived here about ten minutes ago as rain, however it is rapidly turning to snow, in the past five minutes it has gone from pure rain to 80% snow, air temperature is 1C and dew point 0C, so i would suggest that because the dew point rose above 0C when the precipitation arrived the falling air temperature is now pushing them both down again.

Also, -13C in Scotland at the moment.

Posted

How come places further south in the midlands are reporting heavy, settling snow whereas places further north, such as sheffield are reporting rain, even with much better elevation? Evaporative cooling?

Posted

How come places further south in the midlands are reporting heavy, settling snow whereas places further north, such as sheffield are reporting rain, even with much better elevation? Evaporative cooling?

Because someone has switched that blased Sheffield snow repeller on again! wallbash.gif

Posted

Lower temps and dew points. Take a look here.... http://www.meteociel.com/accueil/temperatures.php

Posted

no snow here, just rain and lots of it.

It's no surprise it's rain tonight.Hopefully our time will come later in the week :whistling:

Posted

Definitely snow now, and has been for 30 mins. Hopefully setting in for the night now.

Certainly is snowing now down the hill. Although, eased off a bit, the cars are white and teh roads/pavements have the icy/slushy layer, so hopefully if it continues through the night, we may have a nice covering by morning, even if it is only a cm or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

got light sleet here, only medium sized flakes of snow here and there.

Conditions @ 22:55 -

temp is 1.4ºc and falling at about 0.4º ph

DP is 0.09º

had 68% easterly winds in the last 24 hours, with a range of 0 to 12 mph

raw mb 975 and falling

Dunno if we'll see anything, full blown snow-wise, tonight. quite a bit of ppn over here and it's snow about a mile west of us apparently :whistling:

Posted

Cheers for that link stumathers ... but what is causing the lower temps and dews there? ... is it evaporative cooling? ... as the 850's are a dergree or two lower here and the thicknesses also.

Posted

It's no surprise it's rain tonight.Hopefully our time will come later in the week :wacko:

Hope so,

The 18z GFS go's against it, just staying very cold and dry. But tbh i very rarely agree with the 18z.

Tomorrow will shed more light on the situation.

Lewis