Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Im suprised you havn't noticed the thunderstorm icon on the 7 day forecast for hull (net-weather forecast) whistling.gif:p

I forgot which day its on but its either Thursday or Friday :lol:

thunder snow means BEEFY SHOWERS :)

Posted

Its far too early to be talking about precipitation amounts and where it will fall. The models were showing heavy convective snow showers over Yorks/Lincs for days and when the day arrived there was a large gap with those areas getting very little.

Temperatures are quite marginal at first aswell, so lower ground and coastal areas could see a wintry mix for a time.

Posted

Its far too early to be talking about precipitation amounts and where it will fall. The models were showing heavy convective snow showers over Yorks/Lincs for days and when the day arrived there was a large gap with those areas getting very little.

Temperatures are quite marginal at first aswell, so lower ground and coastal areas could see a wintry mix for a time.

Kill joy! lol

From Thursday 3pm everywhere even on the coast will see snow..

And regarding the last cold spell, the GFS never ever showed such organized showers around us and pushing as far in off the N sea, it always showed them clipping us.

Lewis

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

It's just starting Noing here. Light rain. Looks like the occulded may have caught up with the warm front.

Posted

Right i'm back in ramp mode :lol:!!

You can thanks mark for that ha ha. Seriously though, thunder snow on quite a wide scale across the full region is highly possible, as these showers will be very convective. And troughs too may well have embedded storms in them, lets wait and see, truly mouth watering prospects!

Shows the thunderstorm icon here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=4;type=free;ct=~HU9;sess=#forecast

thats my dream easterlies :p cheered up now for sure!

Posted

It's just starting Noing here. Light rain. Looks like the occulded may have caught up with the warm front.

A least we never got our hopes up in the first place, unlike some people in the Midlands!

Posted

Kill joy! lol

From Thursday 3pm everywhere even on the coast will see snow..

And regarding the last cold spell, the GFS never ever showed such organized showers around us and pushing as far in off the N sea, it always showed them clipping us.

Lewis

got to remember as well that the local mini low pressure provided that gap in the showers!!!!

Posted

A least we never got our hopes up in the first place, unlike some people in the Midlands!

Yeah ive just been reading some of the posts :) I was never expecting snow here today,and we've been saying for a few days that it's what happens after the low clears away that Could be interesting :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Weather warnings make a laugth. Yorkshire area heavy snow valid from 09:00 too 16:00. Errr no most of the day was dry and when the warning finishes it's starts raining. However when you click on the link it says valid from 16:00.

Do they ever read what they actually post on the website???

Posted

Weather warnings make a laugth. Yorkshire area heavy snow valid from 09:00 too 16:00. Errr no most of the day was dry and when the warning finishes it's starts raining. However when you click on the link it says valid from 16:00.

its pointless me thinks! even wales thread are in bits at moment. Were lucky because convective snow showers from east is looking very likely by thursday :)

Posted

Warmest its been here for nearly 2 weeks now hit 5oC

All flat snow gone

and its just started raining but the wind is coming from east / north east

Posted

By the Looks of it they haven't gone into details for regional warnings, they have done one set text for all areas which questions the accuracy of the snow depths given in the warnings, as I highly doubt 15cm of snow will fall in West/South Yorkshire.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

we have the startings of snow/heavy sleet.. well it's the wet stuff if you get my drift..

Posted

we have the startings of snow/heavy sleet.. well it's the wet stuff if you get my drift..

may i know your dew and temp

thanks

lewis

got to remember as well that the local mini low pressure provided that gap in the showers!!!!

Yep good point, i forgot about that.

Looking very promising indeed mate.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Temps been stuck at 1.7c for last 3 hours, Dew points are dropping but when (if) the PPN arrives the dew points are likely to rise, Dew point at 0.1c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

may i know your dew and temp

thanks

lewis

Yep good point, i forgot about that.

Looking very promising indeed mate.

Lewis

Really sorry Lewis, I am not lucky enough to have my own little weather station.. am looking into getting one in the next few weeks :o

Posted

Yeah ive just been reading some of the posts :( I was never expecting snow here today,and we've been saying for a few days that it's what happens after the low clears away that Could be interesting :lazy:

Looks like being 1-0 to the NMM model mate :o

Posted

Really sorry Lewis, I am not lucky enough to have my own little weather station.. am looking into getting one in the next few weeks :(

Aww what a shame, i wanted to know because i wanted to know if it was evaperative cooling, or mainly due to your elevation.

Probably a bit of both for your area i would imagine :lazy:

Lewis

Looks like being 1-0 to the NMM model mate :o

Hi GMG,

It sure is 1-0 to the NMM, i think it's a fantastic model on net weather-extra, extremely handy/usefull and packed full of features.

I knew earlier when comparing the NMM to the normal res 06z precip chart that the precipitation won't reach it this far.

Lewis

Posted

Does net-weather sell weather stations in its store, i know they sell books. I don't think they do but perhaps its an idea they could look into. As quite a few members are always interested in weather stations.

Temp stuck at 3.1c with a little drizzle :clap:

Posted

The PPN is just in Leeds, anyone in South Leeds got anything to report? Raintoday is showing sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Been dry now here since this morning and the thaw is still progressing although this is helping the road conditions.

Wind is Easterly and not very strong, 6 knots max I have had it but I do have a sheltered location.

Temp is steady 4.4 deg C now for most of the last hour but has been over 5 deg C today, which is very high and I was expecting much lower after the hard frost last night and the developing easterly. With a dewpoint currently of 0.1 deg C I am not confident of anything this evening. The talk is now of Thursday - just like last week the jam is always postponed although, granted, it did eventually arrive although the mild weather that was only supposed to affect the South did get this far North and has lasted more than the couple of days originally promulgated.

The charts a couple of days ago (within the reliable timeframe) were showing blizzards down South and convective showers up here. Neither has really materialised and now we are talking about Thursday.

Why does this always seem to happen? Why does it ALWAYS downgrade even when it appears nailed? wallbash.gif

Don't get me wrong, I have loved the cold spell but I really was beginning to think this was the appetiser before the feast and now it appears the latter may be a snack.

OK rant over!

Posted

Been dry now here since this morning and the thaw is still progressing although this is helping the road conditions.

Wind is Easterly and not very strong, 6 knots max I have had it but I do have a sheltered location.

Temp is steady 4.4 deg C now for most of the last hour but has been over 5 deg C today, which is very high and I was expecting much lower after the hard frost last night and the developing easterly. With a dewpoint currently of 0.1 deg C I am not confident of anything this evening. The talk is now of Thursday - just like last week the jam is always postponed although, granted, it did eventually arrive although the mild weather that was only supposed to affect the South did get this far North and has lasted more than the couple of days originally promulgated.

The charts a couple of days ago (within the reliable timeframe) were showing blizzards down South and convective showers up here. Neither has really materialised and now we are talking about Thursday.

Why does this always seem to happen? Why does it ALWAYS downgrade even when it appears nailed? wallbash.gif

Don't get me wrong, I have loved the cold spell but I really was beginning to think this was the appetiser before the feast and now it appears the latter may be a snack.

OK rant over!

Erm, this was always the feast :clap: the taster is the rain for folks down south lol.

I know what your trying to say, but the problem was this LP that's south of us, the models had problems handling it, well mainly coming in to an agreement, now it has, and it seems to have sorted that out and it's where abouts, we can put a little more faith into the models now, more especially in the reliable time frame, and more especially the GFS, although i prefer to back the euros:)

lewis

Posted

The PPN has pepped up on the northern flank while the southern extent has lost a some intensity. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/