Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Latest BBC forecast said snow on Eastern slopes of pennines, maybe here as well.

Latest BBC forecast said snow on Eastern slopes of pennines, maybe here as well.

Really hoping that second, heavier batch of precip gets here later! It's very slow moving - the Welsh hills will get plenty of snow over the next few hours.

Cold light rain here at present, waiting patiently for some snow later (fingers crossed!)

Posted

Anyone know what precipitation will fall as in York, currently 3 degrees.

If precipitation were to fall now, you'd most likely see rain. That could easily change, and don't forget to keep an eye on those Dew Points as well :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

If precipitation were to fall now, you'd, most likely, see rain. That could easily change, so Don't forget to keep an eye on those Dew Points as well :drunk:

Yeh it would definatly rain now, doesnt feel cold enough for snow, i calculated my dew point and its 2c at the moment so hopefully things will change Brian :)

Posted

Where abouts in Leeds/Bradford do you live.

lewis

Opposite hill to Airport, Cookridge.

Posted

Yeh it would definatly rain now, doesnt feel cold enough for snow, i calculated my dew point and its 2c at the moment so hopefully things will change Brian :)

Have you tried this site for your area mate?:

http://weather.elec.york.ac.uk/

Posted

Your weather station could be over calculating the temp;

http://www.wundergro...ions/03346.html

shows 1/1 on there.

Lewis

I doubt it tbh, here is the map of weather stations around Leeds http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

The weather station I use, I have found it to be accurate in most cases http://www.wundergro...sp?ID=IWESTYOR8

The station is 60M ASL, I take away 1.c as I'm at 200m while the station is at 60m.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Have you tried this site for your area mate?:

http://weather.elec.york.ac.uk/

I have my own weather station in my back garden mate, although its strange how the university shows 4.4c when mine shows 2.9c :S

Posted

I have my own weather station in my back garden mate, although its strange how the university shows 4.4c when mine shows 2.9c :S

Yeah, i'm not certain why that is. the Dew Points look good on the University site though. If we can just get those temps down a bit, it may be game on :)

Posted

GFS has the LP much further North again, which is why we are experiencing such high temps, south of the region have the lower temps and dews, with us the higher, this explains it.

lewis

Posted

GFS has the LP much further North again, which is why we are experiencing such high temps, south of the region have the lower temps and dews, with us the higher, this explains it.

lewis

So does that mean we should start to see the temps fall once the front has passed through? :lol:

Posted

So does that mean we should start to see the temps fall once the front has passed through? :lol:

yes :lol: because the 850's then push South, so we get undercutting.

If the front passes through, game on, if it does not, other than really high ground and i mean above 300m it's not looking good.

lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Interesting post about wind directions at Emley Moor on previous thread. I noticed this when I woke up this morning. When looking through skylight, higher clouds were moving East whilst the cumulus at lower levels were moving West. 180 degrees of wind shear: yes I know there is a formula for working this out in relation to height!

Nevertheless, there was a massive difference in wind direction over a very little difference in height as those clouds moving East were not of the 'alto' variety.

Any theories?

Posted

Big upgrade for precipitation into Thursday with a possible trough, N yorkshire, East Yorkshire could get a fair bit :lol:

Lewis

Interesting post about wind directions at Emley Moor on previous thread. I noticed this when I woke up this morning. When looking through skylight, higher clouds were moving East whilst the cumulus at lower levels were moving West. 180 degrees of wind shear: yes I know there is a formula for working this out in relation to height!

Nevertheless, there was a massive difference in wind direction over a very little difference in height as those clouds moving East were not of the 'alto' variety.

Any theories?

I think this is because of the occluded fronts, the warm front over us with the cold front undercutting, so you get the 2 difference's with the warm front the higher cloud, cold front the lower?

I'm not 100% on it, but i'm pretty sure thats what it is.

Lewis

Big upgrade for precipitation into Thursday with a possible trough, N yorkshire, East Yorkshire could get a fair bit :lol:

Lewis

I think this is because of the occluded fronts, the warm front over us with the cold front undercutting, so you get the 2 difference's with the warm front the higher cloud, cold front the lower?

I'm not 100% on it, but i'm pretty sure thats what it is.

Lewis

Or it could have something to do with the thickness, with us been on the border line of 530 and 540.

530 at 500-850hpa and 540 on the 500-1000hpa.

BTW! 12Z = SNOW FEST FOR EAST COAST COUNTIES, N YORKSHIRE AND EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE AND N LINCS!

Lewis