Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted
<br />Things are going to steadily turn colder and the front is going to stall for hours,<br /><br />thats why the warnings out,<br /><br />where the front stalls and is snow, there could be many hours of snow.<br />

Indeed. The Low becomes reasonably static to the south of Ireland with the centre and assorted fronts slowly meandering around, so I can see why the Met office are putting out warnings. Due to the borderline temps some will be lucky and get a good dump of snow, while others will see wet snow, sleet or rain. Some may even stay dry.

The Low eventually moves out of the way on Thursday. In theory. :)

Posted

Indeed. The Low becomes reasonably static to the south of Ireland with the centre and assorted fronts slowly meandering around, so I can see why the Met office are putting out warnings. Due to the borderline temps some will be lucky and get a good dump of snow, while others will see wet snow, sleet or rain. Some may even stay dry.

The Low eventually moves out of the way on Thursday. In theory. :)

So does that mean the front could track back SW and over us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

so is that it for this year or is there stll hope for thurs/friday this week?

woody

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

So does that mean the front could track back SW and over us?

It's due to push southwards again on Wednesday and Thursday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Anyone know how much has fallen on Pen-Y-Fan? Might do some snowboarding over the weekend if there enough snow.

Posted

Had about an inch of snow. :drunk:

Roads are covered so no going out in Car Today then.

Was out on the drive with shovel and grit but couldn't move the car very far so window watching if we get any more snow. :)

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

Had about 2 inches of snow now in Cwmbran. Settled loverly, still very wet snow. Looking at the radar, expecting it to stop very soon seeing the precipitation band is coming to and end, bu the bbc forecast showing precitpitation all day....fingers crossed this end...perhaps the mmet office rainfall radar not showing lighter snow...

who knows...its still snowing here and its lurvlee !!

cwmbran se wales ( 5 miles east of newport ) higher ground 110m asl

Posted

On the edge of something special in Hereford now. Temperature was 3.1oc when I came home from work at 2.15pm, now its dropped to 1.0oc and the rain is turning ever more to sleet/snow with some massive flakes. Another half degree or so lower and things could become poor for rush hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Anyone know how much has fallen on Pen-Y-Fan? Might do some snowboarding over the weekend if there enough snow.

I went up there in August but I can bet that there is at least 6 inches up there. All that rain/sleet/snow that has been around Mid South Wales for the past 6 hours or so will no doubt have fallen as snow up there. Maybe even 10 inches.

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

Think for those of us in the south who are disappointed with the way today has turned out there are some good possibilities yet.

What i would like to know and probably so would everyone else is where the front will stall, how long will it stall for and will the air be cold enough when it starts heading back south. If we could figure all that out we would be laughing.

Personally i am not ruling anything out you never can tell in these situations :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

temp now up to 2.5C and had no precip for a while now, when can we expect more rain/sleet/snow to come?

Posted

Think for those of us in the south who are disappointed with the way today has turned out there are some good possibilities yet.

What i would like to know and probably so would everyone else is where the front will stall, how long will it stall for and will the air be cold enough when it starts heading back south. If we could figure all that out we would be laughing.

Personally i am not ruling anything out you never can tell in these situations :lol:

Looking at the radar the front has stalled now and don't seem to be moving anywhere. We have what can best described as ice pellets now. They have covered everything and the roads are treacherous. With the front not moving this is just sitting over us at the moment. The worse of the lot really. Ice everywhere...I am wondering if this could intensify....

Posted

Personally i am not ruling anything out you never can tell in these situations smile.gif

When the front returns - less alot of precip but possibly with a little left - it will be pushed back by a strong NE wind - extremely cold so anything coming out of it will be snow then - models are saying thursday for this - until then showers and the low moves slightly further north and stalls there then returns. Over night tonight if showers keep persisting it might well be cold enough for further snow in the south.

Posted

Looking at the radar the front has stalled now and don't seem to be moving anywhere. We have what can best described as ice pellets now. They have covered everything and the roads are treacherous. With the front not moving this is just sitting over us at the moment. The worse of the lot really. Ice everywhere...I am wondering if this could intensify....

Seconded, an inch of ice and slush everywhere and the lying snow is a dull whitish grey colour. This has to be the ugliest covering of snow I have ever seen.

Edited by jackfrost

Posted

Winter Storm

Well As we draw to the end of 2009, the weather wants it to go out with a bang. A system is currently making its way up for the South-West, this is currently bringing heavy rain towards the South-West/Southern areas. 15-30mm is expected, there is a small risk of some localized flooding in these areas. However as the weather system moves further North, things will turn very interesting as it bumps into colder air. Snow is likely to fall anywhere North of the M4 corridor. At the moment it looks like Central/Eastern Wales and parts of the Midlands will see some of the worst weather, we could see several hours of heavy snow effecting these areas.

So as we move into this evening and overnight. The main band should have cleared South-Western/Southern area, however there will be a number of showers around these heavy and thundery at times.

Wales:

For western areas of Wales im expecting a mixture of rain/sleet and snow for most of the night, however for Central and Eastern Wales the weather will begin to turn interesting towards dusk. As much as 5-10cm is expected to lower ground, with as much as 30cm for higher routes. The snow is likely to fall through-out the night, This could lead to travel problems for Wednesday morning. It is also worth pointing out that, a strong Easterly wind will develop giving blizzard like conditions in place. Drifting snow is also likely to be a problems.

South-Eastern Areas/Eastern England:

A mixture of rain/sleet and snow showers are likely through-out the overnight period, these however should begin to fade towards dawn. Snow is more likely over higher-ground, however some wintriness is likely at times to lower ground. However if skies clear, there could be a problem with ice. For Eastern England there will also be a mixture of rain and sleet showers, with some snow possible across the hills. A Easterly wind will develop making it feel raw. Again ice could be a problem where showers have fallen.

Scotland:

Most of Scotland will be cold and frosty, with some snow/sleet showers towards the North-East giving a fresh covering of snow.

Northern England:

This is a hard one, im currently expecting the front to weaken and fragment as it move North. However i think there will be loads of showers of rain/sleet and snow at times. With higher amount of snow for the hills. However there could also be a dusting/covering for lower levels. I would not like to forecast any amounts lol.

Weather Warning

Areas Effected: Wales/Midlands/Central England

An area of rain has moved in from the South-West through-out the morning, but is now meeting colder air to the North. It is likely to snow across areas mentioned above for several hours, giving as much as 5-10cm to lower levels and up to 30cm over higher routes. There is likely to be travel/power problems, please stay tuned to the highways agency/local forecasts/local radio stations.

Weather Watch:

Areas Effected: Northern England/UK

Northern England: An areas of rain/sleet and snow is currently effecting Southern areas, and is likely to move further North. It is expected to weaken and fragment, but could give a covering in place high and lower ground. There is alot of uncertainty so i would not like to forecast any amount.

UK:

Areas away from the most Southern areas will see a risk of ice where showers have fallen.

Stay tuned to the forecast.

Thunder Snow

Posted

Wales:

For western areas of Wales im expecting a mixture of rain/sleet and snow for most of the night, however for Central and Eastern Wales the weather will begin to turn interesting towards dusk. As much as 5-10cm is expected to lower ground, with as much as 30cm for higher routes. The snow is likely to fall through-out the night, This could lead to travel problems for Wednesday morning. It is also worth pointing out that, a strong Easterly wind will develop giving blizzard like conditions in place. Drifting snow is also likely to be a problems.

Thanks for the above post!! Please can you tell me where the PPN is going to come from for this further snow overnight? I thought the radar looked clear from now on - nothing more to come up from the SW.

I hope its going to happen - the rain has stopped and the ground has dried up very quickly - better chance of any falling snow to stick!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Wales:

Thanks for the above post!! Please can you tell me where the PPN is going to come from for this further snow overnight? I thought the radar looked clear from now on - nothing more to come up from the SW.

I hope its going to happen - the rain has stopped and the ground has dried up very quickly - better chance of any falling snow to stick!

Im not sure if it will fall as snow, atleast not here as the temp is still rising, now at 2.7C. i think some of the milder air from behind the front is over us at the moment. I will say it is drying up fairly quick though. Hope for snow showers or something overnight now!

Posted

is this front expected to turn/move south east now that it's stalled?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Snow is finally settling here now :good: YAY!!!

Temp is 0.7C