Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted

Here goes. Before all Hell breaks loose! :shok:

Haha ,

Wel mae gobaith da ni bois bach

Well we do have some hope boys

Latest thing from the met

Heavy snow across Wales and parts of central England.

There are currently reports of snow across the hills of southern Wales. A band of rain is expected to turn more widely to snow through this afternoon and into this evening with most of Wales and parts of central England likely to be worst affected. Issued at 1124 on Tue 29 Dec 2009.

Posted

This really is very frustrating... if the temp was 1c lower and uppers 1c lower we'd probably have a few inches by now. It's like someone is taking the p---.

It is definitely getting heavier now though so hopefully there is a slim chance of it settling. If it doesn't I can walk up the mountain near me (450m) and see a covering anyway.

Edited by Barb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes JackOne, if we had this front pushing up before christmas it would have been a very different story with widespread blizzards. Still very windy with rain here, some sleet at times with some ice pellets.

Posted

Heavy snow in Newport now for 20 mins or so. Settling on cars, roofs and grass, would be nice to see it hold out for a few hours, even if I am on a night shift in work! Is it more likely to turn to rain though?

It has been mostly sleet here with a lot of wet snow mixed in in the heavier bursts, but much lighter now, Temp around 2c.

Next heavy band set to push in from south later. Even if really belts down with snow, which it certainly could do, even if the temps drop a little, settling snow is unlikely now.

If only this band was a few miles further south, as originally planned, this would have been a major event.

Posted

Ok enough doom and gloom!

This is as i see it right now

temp dropped from 2.4 c to 1.2c

Dew point has finally dropped blow zero in last 15 mins currently -0.5c

Ok so cold is cutting in, What has gone thru is the warm front, now comes the best chance of snow, although not everyone will get it.

The front should stall and then the cold can really effect it, down south we are in the mix which is then giving it as now further north.

If it stalls over the south we will not see so much sleet but more like snow.

everyone in South wales should be fairly close to an area where snow will fall, a car drive and your sledging. BUT wait for this to clear as some places will get treachourus driving conditions and do not want anyone stuck in the snow. This could last wellinto tomorrow, Come on guys & girls no more doom and gloom a bit of effort and travel and we are into great snow. And for some there will be a snowfall which has not happened yet today.

enjoy

Posted

It has been mostly sleet here with a lot of wet snow mixed in in the heavier bursts, but much lighter now, Temp around 2c.

Next heavy band set to push in from south later. Even if really belts down with snow, which it certainly could do, even if the temps drop a little, settling snow is unlikely now.

If only this band was a few miles further south, as originally planned, this would have been a major event.

yeah very heavy sleet here atm if this was more prolonmged it would turn to snow, settling dont rule nothing out ive seen soaking floors and snow settling christmas night 2001 reminds me of a good example/

Posted

Yep mate, i think this was over ramped though.

Posted

Just looking at the BBC Wales news, looks more wintry in cardiff bay than here

Posted

Not over ramped here - it was always going to be a knife edge situation anyway initially but this is just the start of possibly a long drawn out 2 week cold spell with major freezing temps so lots more to come I think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Turned to heavy sleet and ice rain now which is turning slushy on surfaces, actually now turned lighter and to more rain now

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted

Heads of the valleys roads are really whitening up, were clear a little while ago, story arms has gone off line but last time was on was full blizzard.

Cold is digging it heels in, its not over till fat lady sings! Plus a someone quite rightly said this is the start of a cold period not the end.

Patience!

I am much more positive about next 24hrs than i was 3hrs ago

Posted

andymusic - we have no covering here at Upper Boat, just wintry mix with sleet and big flakes, but not covering!

lets hope next few hours has something to offer.

Posted

ok its snowing here now light but snowing so that must be a good sign for the precipitation too come hopefully.

Posted

yuck what a horrible day, heavy sleet and icy rain, windy, easterly wind. Temp 1.8C. Getting dark already. I hate this weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

SNOW big flakes and everything wow

Posted

Well - top of the Graig my mrs just came back from doing her horse duties and nearly totalled her car coming back - very slippy and icy and white!!!!!!

Posted

Well - top of the Graig my mrs just came back from doing her horse duties and nearly totalled her car coming back - very slippy and icy

excellent news andy about the snow not about mrs nearly totalling car! looks like i wont be venturing up graig for a pint too soon then! LOL

Posted

heavy snow now in Barry woohooo

im not far from Barry Island! Anything settling? Wet snow?