Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Light rain all morning here. Temperatures too high (3C & Dew Point 1C) at the moment. Nothing but rain and similar temperatures for miles around.

Cant see much happening except in the Welsh hills before dark. Then we might see some of the PPN turning to Sleet or Snow if temperatures fall.

Check out your regions weather staions here. Mine is set to Cosford but use the drop down box to change yours or hover over the others to see latest readings. (or buy a Netweather subscription! )

Skylink Weather Station Reports - Cosford

Edited by kar999

Posted

Ok i'm not the usual pessimistic type but i do know when something is on the wrong side of marginal, 539 dam thickness too high (although possibe for wet snow up to 540 in occluded fronts) Temp 3.3c dew point at 2c. Upper 850's -4c are probbaly the only closest thing to favouring snow but still not good enough.

Situation right now is very poor, we need some big temperature and dew point drops.... how do we attain that in such cloud cover ? i don't see how cc_confused.gif . Also the band is moving from the south and isn'y exactly brining colder air, we aren't even under cold air right now.

Posted

See, even Chris is positive about this one...only kidding mate :)

Yes and temps will likely drop later, this first warm front is what has risen them a little. High ground will help and I'd say Stafford is fairly high ground anyway. As for Leicester the bbc local graphics are brilliant and have Heavy Snow over us all night long.

Posted

Light sleet again here, but there is more snow to it than rain. If this is what it is like in the very light stuff, then if we get some heavy stuff it will almost certainly be snow!

What is your temperature and de point.... nothing but rain here cc_confused.gif

Posted

Ok i'm not the usual pessimistic type but i do know when something is on the wrong side of marginal, 539 dam thickness too high (although possibe for wet snow up to 540 in occluded fronts) Temp 3.3c dew point at 2c. Upper 850's -4c are probbaly the only closest thing to favouring snow but still not good enough.

Situation right now is very poor, we need some big temperature and dew point drops.... how do we attain that in such cloud cover ? i don't see how cc_confused.gif . Also the band is moving from the south and isn'y exactly brining colder air, we aren't even under cold air right now

oh dear - at least high ground may get something :) on a positive note

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

What is your temperature and de point.... nothing but rain here cc_confused.gif

1.8c and 0.7c

Definitely still more snow than rain, and the flakes are pretty decent size too.

Posted

The BBC have sort of a great way to cover there backs :

Data Delay

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties updating this section of our website. As a result some of the information here is out of date. We are working to resolve this as soon as we can.

Like it :)

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

Light rain and sleet turned to light snow now! Looking good for later :-D

Glad to see I am not going mad, definitely not seeing things :)

Turning more and more to snow, if this is the warm front then bring on the cold air!

Posted

Been dry here all night. Was 0C at midnight now 2.6C and rising. Wish the temps would stay down BUT the sleet/snow is forecast to arrive roughly by the evening so dont panic people. People with drizzle are just seeing Dribs and drabs of a front pretty much unrelated to tonights snow.

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

sorry it might have already been posted..

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of Wales and central England. Periods of sleet and snow are likely to persist well into Wednesday. The snow will be heavy at times with drifting likely in strong easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions over hills.

10-15cm of snow is likely widely with 25cm or more possible over high ground of Wales.

Disruption to transport and power supplies is likely.

Issued at: 1100 Tue 29 Dec

Posted

Temperature at 1.7 and falling at the moment here in Stafford. Dew point at 1. More snow than rain now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

On another "positive " note when the precipitation becomes heavier, this process will kick in the "Evaporative Cooling" effect in , so therefore the precip draging the cold air down to low levels, no reason why no one wont see any snow and it settling in the hours ahead even if youre on low ground! :)

Posted

On another "positive " note when the precipitation becomes heavier, this process will kick in the "Evaporative Cooling" effect in , so therefore the precip draging the cold air down to low levels, no reason why no one wont see any snow and it settling in the hours ahead even if youre on low ground! :)

Exactly. The very light stuff is producing wintry stuff, got 90% snow and 10% rain here, so when the real fun and games arrives it will be purely snow.

Posted

Looking at the radar there isn't very light stuff over us, there is nothing! :)

Posted

Glad to see I am not going mad, definitely not seeing things biggrin.gif

Turning more and more to snow, if this is the warm front then bring on the cold air!

Hmm don't understand how it's 3.0c here and im higher up and further north.

Not a sign of a single flake or sleetiness. lol

Posted

1.8c and 0.7c

Definitely still more snow than rain, and the flakes are pretty decent size too.

What's your elevation? You're not sitting on top of the Pye Green Telecom tower there are you? :)

Edit - just seen your signiature! Doh!

Edited by kar999

Posted

Hmm don't understand how it's 3.0c here and im higher up and further north.

Not a sign of a single flake or sleetiness. lol

It's now 2.0c here but the DP has dropped to 0.6c. Very strange I agree. But you are probably in a more built up area than me, could that make a difference I wonder?

And Kar, I am roughly 150m up (in my sig) :)

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Exactly. The very light stuff is producing wintry stuff, got 90% snow and 10% rain here, so when the real fun and games arrives it will be purely snow.

Here is the south midlands it's much warmer though, 3.5 and a dp 0f 1.7 which makes things more marginal. Will be interesting to see whether the cold air starts to filter down soon.

Posted

Yep right now I think we've just about seen the end of the northwards motion of the warm front, which has maintained a stronger identity then some of the models were expecting. Anyway we should see some slow weakening of this feature as it sits in place and the cold air starts to attempt to undercut, though I don't think this process will really get going till the night hours...also evap cooling is going to play a part where its marginal at the moment.