Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Still light drizzle in Gloucester - cant see where the 10 - 15cm Shafali (sp?) was on about last night is going to come from??

Still I expected nothing and thats exactly what we are getting :(

It won't arrive until this afternoon at the earliest, be patient!

We have light sleet here now, definitely small flakes mixed in.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

It won't arrive until this afternoon at the earliest, be patient!

We have light sleet here now, definitely small flakes mixed in.

Lol - patience went a long time ago, Im still waiting for my first covering of snow this winter :(

Posted

just seen the bbc weather

according tohim herefordshire/worcestershire are the worst affected areas this afternoon for snow in the midlands and then later its drifting north!

Tut Tut. Read the last comment and people are already being pessimistic. The heavier bands of precip to our south west is what will bring us the snow. I'm not expecting any snow here until mid-late afternoon, which may or may not last until late into the evening.

Don't write the day off when you're not even sure when things are properly meant to begin.

totally agree! enough of the pessimism peopledirol.gif

Posted

my pessimistic comments (for my area, not over in the west) are based on the forecasts, if the bbc are right, then the midlands local forecast said "birmingham may get a slight covering" east midlands said "we may even see a few flakes of snow as we get into the middle of the night" hardly sounds like a big event, although as people who were stuck in there cars in reading will tell you, there not always right. Lets hope not anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some of the 'write off' comments really annoy me. Its obvious not much will happen to later and as soon as a drop of drizzle falls-its game over. :(

Just wait until the heavier stuff comes through...:(

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

my pessimistic comments (for my area, not over in the west) are based on the forecasts, if the bbc are right, then the midlands local forecast said "birmingham may get a slight covering" east midlands said "we may even see a few flakes of snow as we get into the middle of the night" hardly sounds like a big event, although as people who were stuck in there cars in reading will tell you, there not always right. Lets hope not anyway.

Well the BBC forecasts I just watched said nothing of the sort...

People really need to chill out a bit.

Posted

Some of the 'write off' comments really annoy me. Its obvious not much will happen to later and as soon as a srop of drizzle falls-its game over. closedeyes.gif

Just wait until the heavier stuff comes through...biggrin.gif

Two words: NONE EVENT. As usual, another over hyped snow non-event for the West Midlands, 6 inches my ar*se. West Midlands always misses out on any decent snow, we are just in the wrong place I'm afraid, just ain't going to happen my friends.

Posted

Two words: NONE EVENT. As usual, another over hyped snow non-event for the West Midlands, 6 inches my ar*se. West Midlands always misses out on any decent snow, we are just in the wrong place I'm afraid, just ain't going to happen my friends.

IT HASN'T ARRIVED YET!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ugh i will be hopping (well...moving!) over to the Wales thread at this rate! :cc_confused:

Posted

Really not sure what people are complaining about.

The first front is a warm front, with the second being an occluded front (I think that the right term).

For the first front, you need both elevation and time for the cold air. The later really hasnt dug in yet.

With the snow mainly forecast for this afternoon and onwards, i'm not sure why people are expecting a dumping before noon, especially in areas where the snow risk is later this afternoon and this evening.

Perspective is needed in this, with a pinch of realism.

Posted

Really not sure what people are complaining about.

The first front is a warm front, with the second being an occluded front (I think that the right term).

For the first front, you need both elevation and time for the cold air. The later really hasnt dug in yet.

With the snow mainly forecast for this afternoon and onwards, i'm not sure why people are expecting a dumping before noon, especially in areas where the snow risk is later this afternoon and this evening.

Perspective is needed in this, with a pinch of realism.

Spot on. Doubters - read this!

Posted

Its game over every1 the precip has just all but died out in the last 5-10mins!!

....Just kidding, looking at the bands of precp tho they seem rather sporadic at the min some people will probably get lucky by hitting heavy precip and others may end up with rain most of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Just watched the East Midlands forecast, the maps on screen showed us to get quite a bit of snow, so here's hoping :cc_confused:

Temp at the moment is to high at 4.0c but I'm dearly hoping its going to start to drop soon, there is a stiff breeze which makes it feel a lot colder. The canal is almost totally thawed though there are still large blocks of floating ice. The ground is damp but there is still some frost in places and there was black ice when I took the dog for his walk.

Edited by chapmanraven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

If you get nothing within the next 36 hours complain but until then chill out! It is not meant to happen until later.

Posted

On NW radar, first wave (am) light drizzle,second wave (pm)heavy rain/sleet and snow

Another sensible post, what we are experiencing now is not the "event". The real fireworks are currently in south west England and pushing northwards.

Posted

Just watched the East Midlands forecast, the maps on screen showed us to get quite a bit of snow, so here's hoping :cc_confused:

Temp at the moment is to high at 4.0c but I'm dearly hoping its going to start to drop soon, there is a stiff breeze which makes it feel a lot colder. The canal is almost totally thawed though there are still large blocks of floating ice. The ground is damp but there is still some frost in places and there was black ice when I took the dog for his walk.

You always seem to overcook your current temp, the 4 nearest weather stations which arent to far away show, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6. as of 1040am

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Don't know why everybody is getting so stressed! The first front which is around at the moment is the warm front which is just giving drizzle/rain; it's the occluded front behind it which is the interesting one... the only thing is how far north is will travel before it stalls.

Posted

On NW radar, first wave (am) light drizzle,second wave (pm)heavy rain/sleet and snow

funny that, my nw radar doesn`t show pm yet :cc_confused:

Posted

West Midlands always misses out on any decent snow, we are just in the wrong place I'm afraid

A bit of a silly comment!!

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Morning folks!

Driving to the in-laws in coventry within the hour or so, so i guess i'll be an honorary West Midlands snow spotter for a few days :)

Wondered if there were any reports of snow en route from South Yorks to Cov atm. ?

Good luck to all for a good pasting later on :good:

Ned

PS - quite like this free radar for snow spotting http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ :)

Edited by ned

Posted

Light sleet again here, but there is more snow to it than rain. If this is what it is like in the very light stuff, then if we get some heavy stuff it will almost certainly be snow!

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Don't know why everybody is getting so stressed! The first front which is around at the moment is the warm front which is just giving drizzle/rain; it's the occluded front behind it which is the interesting one... the only thing is how far north is will travel before it stalls.

Welldone Nabraxas, sums it up perfectly good.gif

Posted

Just to clear thing's up the first wave was always shown to be rain/drizzle. It is the Warm front , and as this travels North it becomes lighter on it's Eastern side. The band behind it will be the troublesome feature as it is heavier and the cold 850's around the Midlands should see this starting to turn to Snow as the afternoon wears on. I would roughly say around night fall in the East Midlands things should get Interesting. I was expecting rain yesterday , but the colder air looks now to stay further South and should cause some problems.

Posted

Just to clear thing's up the first wave was always shown to be rain/drizzle. It is the Warm front , and as this travels North it becomes lighter on it's Eastern side. The band behind it will be the troublesome feature as it is heavier and the cold 850's around the Midlands should see this starting to turn to Snow as the afternoon wears on. I would roughly say around night fall in the East Midlands things should get Interesting. I was expecting rain yesterday , but the colder air looks now to stay further South and should cause some problems.

See, even Chris is positive about this one...only kidding mate :)