Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Good things come to those who wait.

I'm waiting :D

and waiting ;)

Ok were's my snow :good:

I do think we will get some this time.

Edited by chapmanraven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The GFS predicted that the precipitation would reach here, even that looks doubtful now!

yes, but it didnt predict snow, just sleet for tuesday....100% accurate so far

Posted

Can confirm some light sleet here too Nick.

Remember the main band should start to stall and slow down the current NE movement as the LP moves toward the mainland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We are fast heading for a non event here. Still raining and the eggs are ready for those forecasters. :)

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

What usually happens in these situations is I get absolutely no snow at all at home... leave the house for work in the morning and get stuck as it's heavily snowed at work! Though it is about 210m ASL.

Posted

I'm waiting :)

and waiting :)

Ok were's my snow :)

I do think we will get some this time.

The 12z deos bring it into our area and then just stalls it , looking at the 12z were looking about 9pm for the heavier stuff. Weather it will be Snow is a different story.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can confirm some light sleet here too Nick.

Remember the main band should start to stall and slow down the current NE movement as the LP moves toward the mainland.

But temperatures are too high, and they are still rising. Unfortunately in this part of the world it seems an impossible task to get cold and precipitation at the same time.

Posted

Well light/rain/drizzle has now moved into Leicestershire and my Temp is finally dropping from 3deg 2 due to 1.9 and due 1 in the last 45 mins.

But temperatures are too high, and they are still rising. Unfortunately in this part of the world it seems an impossible task to get cold and precipitation at the same time.

I think there was a brief spell of milder air that moved further north than expected , the colder air is now undercutting and you should see temps drop quite quickly in the next hour or so.

Posted

Odd spot of rain in a biting E wind. Temp 2.8C and falling. Hopefully the heavier PPN will reach here and turn to snow.

*waits patiently*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Come on Nick, chin up! :) ..I've only lived here for 3 years, and can remember at least 3 decent cold & snowy events...Me, Having been born & bred in snowless Torbay, you dont know how lucky you are!!......

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Temp 3.6c and falling, but as someone commented earlier my weather station reads a little high.

I have just been out for a ciggy, there is the odd spot of rain being carried in the wind.

Posted

+2.2°c with a magical drop of -0.2°/hr! DP high too at +1.2°c

Time will tell, the sleety rain is slightly more heavy now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Blimey even i ave had a bit of sleet mixed in with the rain today, temps 3c

Posted

yes, but it didnt predict snow, just sleet for tuesday....100% accurate so far

Don't make me laugh!

Where do we start...first of all, the GFS is forecasting no more than sleet everywhere, even though it is snowing right now in parts of Wales and leaving a covering in places.

A day or two ago of course it was convinced it would be nothing more than rain for the Midlands and Wales, again this had to be revised in later output with a sudden southward shift of some 150 miles of the 0c isotherm.

Sure, it's good at giving a rough idea of what the weather will be doing but in complex situations like this where we have a battleground setup and localised snowfall possible at least for a time in many places it performs very badly.

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Oh stop moaning, it's like Christmas day all over again!

Be patient and I'm sure things will turn out well enough.

Think yourselves lucky, all I have is rain and it's not even cold rain at that! I'm waiting for it to clear away so I can go out for a joint :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yep 5-10cm here we come. In my dreams. :)

I will check whats happening later but right now its not good for here.

Posted

It is going to snow.

good job there's nothing on the telly, lamp post lit and ready to be watched.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

It's still raining / sleeting at lower levels because the colder air hasn't moved south quickly enough. Wait until tonight when it starts to dig into the front. Most areas in the midlands are likely to see some snow, how much and will it settle depends on how quickly it can fall and cool the atmosphere further.

Posted

Don't make me laugh!

Where do we start...first of all, the GFS is forecasting no more than sleet everywhere, even though it is snowing right now in parts of Wales and leaving a covering in places.

A day or two ago of course it was convinced it would be nothing more than rain for the Midlands and Wales, again this had to be revised in later output with a sudden southward shift of some 150 miles of the 0c isotherm.

Sure, it's good at giving a rough idea of what the weather will be doing but in complex situations like this where we have a battleground setup and localised snowfall possible at least for a time in many places it performs very badly.

I suggest that you read the GFS charts once more...it predicted sleet for my neck of the woods, and so far is 100% accurate for my location....I didnt state it was accurate in any other measurement, just the sleet for the west midlands...My intention was not to make you laugh, so the insult was not necessary! :)