Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Cheers GMG :(

Women are a funny breed. I love them to bits but it's bizzare how you can be good to them and then they lose interest in you like..BOOM.

Not a happy boy, Leicester had better get big loads of snow tomorrow to take my mind off it. :D

Posted

Cheers GMG :(

Women are a funny breed. I love them to bits but it's bizzare how you can be good to them and then they lose interest in you like..BOOM.

Not a happy boy, Leicester had better get big loads of snow tomorrow to take my mind off it. :(

I sympathise with you matey, but you're gonna have to look for some other sort of consolation, COZ YOU AIN'T GETTIN' NO SNOW........INNIT! :D

Posted

Cheers GMG :)

Not a happy boy, Leicester had better get big loads of snow tomorrow to take my mind off it. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree with you more. Somehow, girls don't seem that bothered by -10 850s straddling the country or a 1050mb Greenland High. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong... :unsure: :nonono::fool:

Oh, and I've got a much bigger example than the one I gave in the last thread...I'd say I'm used to this! :nea:

Edited by butler_son

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Cheers GMG smile.gif

Not a happy boy, Leicester had better get big loads of snow tomorrow to take my mind off it. rolleyes.gif

PM me or Facebook.... Mark `epic` Moffy .....

Posted

Cheers GMG :nonono:

Not a happy boy, Leicester had better get big loads of snow tomorrow to take my mind off it. :rolleyes:

It doesn't happen when you're a moderator, Andy. We usually have to fight off the women - you should see my mail box :unsure:

Anyway, it's looking good for your area mate. I think I'll have to be a bit patient before my region gets something.

You guys are due a good pasting though, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :fool:

Posted

righty off to bed now, think i'll wake myself up at around 9 am ish....nighty all!! and good luck!!!

(even leicestershire) :rolleyes:

Posted

righty off to bed now, think i'll wake myself up at around 9 am ish....nighty all!! and good luck!!!

(even leicestershire) :rolleyes:

:nonono: very kind of you! Haha, goodnight pal, sleep well and lets hope tomorrow is a snow fest! If the snow reaches Bedworth then tell it that Andy wants it next because he is a depressed bugger :unsure:

Posted

You could quite easily say the Uk's winters are like that usually, you shower the models with love and affection, then everything goes wrong and they lose interest in the cold and boom...back to zonal!

Also some of the emotions in the model thread you'd struggle to replicate in a real relationship I'm sure!!

Anyway a real messy set-up this one, the forecasters must hate this sort of set-up above all. We have a upper warm front pushing on through with weak precip from it which is raising uppers...however at least upto the northern boundary of the second front surface temps look like remaining pretty cold, therefore you've got a classic warm front rising over the cold air that stubbornly sits there. Its a real toughie to call because local conditions could make a big difference, esp the closer you are to the borderline region of snow/sleet/rain, which would be just south of the core of the front

Posted

You could quite easily say the Uk's winters are like that usually, you shower the models with love and affection, then everything goes wrong and they lose interest in the cold and boom...back to zonal!

Also some of the emotions in the model thread you'd struggle to replicate in a real relationship I'm sure!!

Anyway a real messy set-up this one, the forecasters must hate this sort of set-up above all. We have a upper warm front pushing on through with weak precip from it which is raising uppers...however at least upto the northern boundary of the second front surface temps look like remaining pretty cold, therefore you've got a classic warm front rising over the cold air that stubbornly sits there. Its a real toughie to call because local conditions could make a big difference, esp the closer you are to the borderline region of snow/sleet/rain, which would be just south of the core of the front

Very true that :rolleyes: Absolutely awesome way of summing up our Winters right there! lol

If I was to put you on the spot... What is your opinion on tomorrows event?

Posted

The main snow event seems to start around 10am for most of us.

Looking at the BBC map Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Mid Wales seem to be favoured spots, with a bit in Warks,Northants,Cambs direction.

snow1vl.jpg

Edited by xanadu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Very true that biggrin.gif Absolutely awesome way of summing up our Winters right there! lol

If I was to put you on the spot... What is your opinion on tomorrows event?

Sleet...nonono.gif Now go to bed!!!!ph34r.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Sorry for being so negative - you get used to it living in Rugeley. Lowest lying area for many miles around, a massive power station less than a mile from my house. Too far west when its an easterly wind, to far south when its a northwesterly, hopefully things will be better from the south - i do indeed think that tommorow for ME will be mostly sleet or rain - but hopefully things will be snowy - the PPN band does look like stalling around our area for most of the night as well - good times.

Posted

To be honest Andy I've not looked enough at this set-up given how complex it is, not surprising given the Se has minimal chances (though the ensembles are still in a mess for the evolution of this low and thus some do in fact keep the front in place for so long even the SE joins in...)

As I said given the uncertainties with the first frontal system and also big uncertainties about the second one right now I don't think I've looked enough to make that sort of call. all I'll say is the cold air tends to generally be more stubborn to shift then the models expect at the surface. Therefore what will happen is the warm front will generally be forced to lift over the colder air as it reaches the Midlands given its weak nature.

I suspect the rise in temps that are occuring over South Wales and regions ESE of there is the advance of the warm front...you guys have an extra few hours cooling and so whilst temps will rise in front of the band once the precip sets in we could see the snow level being dragged down.

So to be honest its a real messy set-up, I'd advise not to expect a total snow event though away from the bullseye location, whilst for you guys in the Midlands it could be a mainly snow event, the precip strength and altitude are majorly important, anywhere that bullseyes the strongest of the precip should see the snow level down low enough for it to snow even at lower elevations, away from that bullseye and I'd say sleet at first, then a transferal to snow...anf then totally depends on exactly where the front ends up...as I said you don't want to be on the southern side of the fronts core passage, because temps rapidly increase to the wrong side of marginal there.

Posted

Thanks Kold I appreciate that :rolleyes:

It is indeed very complex, we are soo close to the event now and I still have no idea whatsoever as to what the PPN will fall as here if indeed the PPN reaches here lol. I think rain/sleet/snow mix but i'm not sure about settling. I think it may be wet snow on low ground in the Midlands and i'm not sure how much of it will settle. Depends on intensity and who gets the heaviest PPN aswell, these things end up being localised.

Posted

Thanks Kold I appreciate that :rolleyes:

It is indeed very complex, we are soo close to the event now and I still have no idea whatsoever as to what the PPN will fall as here if indeed the PPN reaches here lol. I think rain/sleet/snow mix but i'm not sure about settling. I think it may be wet snow on low ground in the Midlands and i'm not sure how much of it will settle. Depends on intensity and who gets the heaviest PPN aswell, these things end up being localised.

In the mix. Freezing fog lifted here. Two month old child needing jabs in the morning. Hohoho.

Posted

In the mix. Freezing fog lifted here. Two month old child needing jabs in the morning. Hohoho.

Still got it here at the moment! Whole street is white from frost :unsure: Good luck for the morning! Hope there isn't too much tears from the little un. I might have tears in the morning, but from a hangover and being sick in the bog :rolleyes:

Posted

Well in the last hour the forecast from BBC and Met office for my location, Nuneaton, has become more depressing. A bit warmer, with precipitation arriving later than previously forecast, and being light rain for ages, then heavy snow around 6PM, then sleet. Wed & Thu looking wetter as well.

Posted

Well in the last hour the forecast from BBC and Met office for my location, Nuneaton, has become more depressing. A bit warmer, with precipitation arriving later than previously forecast, and being light rain for ages, then heavy snow around 6PM, then sleet. Wed & Thu looking wetter as well.

And now at 5.30am here we are again zzzzz a big downgrade on the metoffice forecast ,

The hard frost that was outside has gone and , it actually feels quite warm out there at the moment.

Met office warning still in place but now forcasting light rain for me till at least 6pm instead of heavy snow

from 9am.

Oh well , The west mids even when it seems to be a dead cert still manages to miss any decent snow :-((

Nick.

Absolute nonsense just came in myself and it feels anything but warm with that easterly wind and rural areas are still very icey with frozen ponds/puddles, it's obvious with the winds picking up and it clouding up temps will rise above freezing, geez we arent in the arctic circle you know.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgiaktgraph?ART=karte&LANG=en&JJ=2009&MM=12&TT=29&TIME=0530&TYP=temperatur&KEY=MID&TIME=1262066958

Posted

Well I suppose after getting in last night at 23.30 and everything was white over with frost

, then expecting to get up to a biting easterly , and snow drifting in the wind , I'm just a

little bit deflated . The frost has gone , the car covers blown off again !! , and the kids will

be up soon wanting to take the sledge up to Clent after seeing the weather forecast at teatime.

Nick

Posted

Can someone pass me the bucket please? Conked out on the bed about 3:30am and just woke up now and I feel rough as :cold: WATERRRR NEEEED WATER!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Can someone pass me the bucket please? Conked out on the bed about 3:30am and just woke up now and I feel rough as :cold: WATERRRR NEEEED WATER!

have a pint of stella mate....kill or cure!