Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 19

MAF

Posted

Ooh time to pop in here again, with the prospects for Friday. Definitely not expecting anything before then.

Temps here today currently 3.8c

Dewpoint 2.7c

I would put the chance of snow at 10% for today.

I have your temp as.

2.9 dew point 1.3

Edited by remymartin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Hoping to see something a little wintry today. Currently temp is 2'c DP 0.8'c. I'd expect those to get lower with any heavy rainfall and evaporative cooling. A day of window watching followed by lamppost watch this evening. smile.gif

Totally agree, I've just got home and it seems colder and wetter now than it was first thing this morning when I left home, the wind has picked up and it has a really icy chill to it. I will be keeping an eye out for some sleet later from inside !

Posted

Interesting. Temp has dropped from 5c at 8am to 2.5c at present. Dew point is 1.3.

Now raining with a icy mix - wouldnt even call it sleet though.

Feels bitter out there

Posted

I have your temp as.

2.9 dew point 1.3

Are you in my garden then Remy? :shok:

My garden is quite small so it does retain the heat a little. Not much I can do about that.

Just out of curiosity where are you getting that reading from?

Posted

Are you in my garden then Remy? :(

My garden is quite small so it does retain the heat a little. Not much I can do about that.

Just out of curiosity where are you getting that reading from?

Hi chilly no i dont have green fingers. :(

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IHERTFOR11

Posted

thanks for that, I've added to my favourites. Much better than my readings, which I do accept may be a little out.

Posted

Just seen the Beeb forecast for the rest of the week... a fest of cold, wet rain with not a snowflake in site for the south east cc_confused.gif

Really?

Thats not what the forecast I watched said at 12noon on news24.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

News 24 forecast not going beyond wednesday

Basically though , 5c patchy rain BORING

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Good chance of snow in our region Thursday night onwards

Thanks Archie, I have to plan things for my mares if there is a chance of getting snowed in again, so any advance warning helps. And I love snow !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

great shame to see all the rain at the moment and think that, if the front had met with a little more resistance, we could be getting bundles of snow at present!

I'm worried that this might set a pattern for the forthcoming battles between the cold air and the warm air trying to push in.. that the cold air is set to defend its hold over the north and in the process will all too willingly sacrifice any hold it obtains in the cold :mellow:

Posted

Yep Niel but the colder air floods in after Wednesday...huge uncertainties beyond Saturday however, some models keep us in a dry set-up with cold easterlies, others eventually try and bring in a disturbance from the SW, others bring down the PV into Scandinavia and introduce a much more unstable flow.

So whilst the trend is forn a generally much colder flow to flood in again (lets call it round 2 of the cold spell!!) from the north-east and at least for a time the chances of snowfall here increase...plus yet again a risk of ice and frost as well, going to be very interesting to watch how it all evolves!

Above all, looks like we are heading for another fairly lengthy cold spell after this rain.

Note...if we do get another attack from the SW by LP (which I thinkis rather likely at some point) then we will be in a FAR better position to make the most of it then right now...

Edited by kold weather

Posted

SNOWFLAKES mixed in with rain now....

Wasnt even expecting this to be honest

Really, the temp hasn't dropped at all here for some reason. Still 4 degress. Hopefully that colder air you have got will edge southwards.

Also this shortlived easterly looks to me more potent then the previous one. Although the upper air temps arent quite as low i belive there will be a good deal of snow showers especially for EA and kent.

Edit: looked at the window and there are defintly splodges.shok.gif

Edited by BarnetBlizzard

Posted

Yep Niel but the colder air floods in after Wednesday...huge uncertainties beyond Saturday however, some models keep us in a dry set-up with cold easterlies, others eventually try and bring in a disturbance from the SW, others bring down the PV into Scandinavia and introduce a much more unstable flow.

So whilst the trend is forn a generally much colder flow to flood in again (lets call it round 2 of the cold spell!!) from the north-east and at least for a time the chances of snowfall here increase...plus yet again a risk of ice and frost as well, going to be very interesting to watch how it all evolves!

Above all, looks like we are heading for another fairly lengthy cold spell after this rain.

Note...if we do get another attack from the SW by LP (which I thinkis rather likely at some point) then we will be in a FAR better position to make the most of it then right now...

Kold,

Thanks for that. When do you think we are most likely to get the snow? Just thinking as it would be great to be having a snowball fight with family and friends seeing the new year in on New Years Eve!

Posted

Really, the temp hasn't dropped at all here for some reason. Still 4 degress. Hopefully that colder air you have got will edge southwards.

Also this shortlived easterly looks to me more potent then the previous one. Although the upper air temps arent quite as low i belive there will be a good deal of snow showers especially for EA and kent.

I know, was not expecting that. Lasted for 5 minutes. Back to plain rain now.

Obviously was in the heavier PPN.

Just goes to show anything can happen

Posted

I have not been getting very excited about snow today and as the temp has slowly risen to 3.9c it looks as if it will continue to be rain here for this particular event. We may possibly see a small amount of snow Wednesday night to Thursday morning, but any amounts will probably be on the low side.

From Thursday onwards we are on the cusp of a cold spell lasting for possibly up to 14 days or even more. It looks, at the moment, to be on the drier side. However, as has been said often on this message board you need the cold to arrive first - any snow can then follow - and often does - although not necessarily immediately. SE cold spells often follow this pattern - it is the price we can pay for our location.

The synoptical situation though remains quite outstanding for the UK as a whole and that can only be good for us. We have waited a long time for this. There are several possible evolutions and I have to agree with Tamara that the eventual development of a Scandi High to complement the Greenland high would be perfect and could put us in a "Narnia Nirvana". For now, however that just remains wishfull thinking!

Anyone who is currently depressed and disappointed about the future possibilities are probably permanently in this mindset! Be patient - it is certainly going to be cold and once that happens - well, who knows.

MM

Posted

hi im kinda new to this so hello everyone :)

geting colder here with a mix of snow and rain ,pressure here is 1011mb and dropping ,gusts of 15mph so making a wind chill of 0.1 oh sorry i forgot ,im in Linslade ,in bedfordshire

just fixed the pressure i gave earlier i had typed a boo boo of 1101mb ,ha what a great first post

Edited by simon65