Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 19

MAF

Posted

First sleet shower here today. The showers are certainly increasing in frequency and wintryness now!

Don't know if it's just wishful thinking, but there does seem to have been an increase in shower activity just off the East Anglian coast in the past hour or so.:unknw:

Posted

I know this is a bit of a straw clutch, but could this be a little bit of a feature developing?

maybe a trough?

satimage31stdec09edit.jpg

Posted

Don't know if it's just wishful thinking, but there does seem to have been an increase in shower activity just off the East Anglian coast in the past hour or so.:unknw:

Seems to be a bit of convection kicking some showers off so far today which to be far was always going to be the case with a keen NE breeze. Like Kold weather mentioned its probably best not to worry about snow too much at this stage....lets get the true cold air in place first then sit back and enjoy the ride!

Posted

Temps lowering nicely as well as dew points in several locations here in Hertfordhire and surrounding counties over past few hours.

The shovel is at DEFCON 4 level. :-)

Edited by Hammer

Posted

this is what i have in Linslade next to Leighton buzzard but i be blow if i ever see it as the same town lol

Current data for

31 December 2009 13:45:14

Temperature (°C):

Current 4.2

Trend (per hour) +0.4

Average today 3.1

Wind chill 4.2

Heat Index 4.2

Dew Point 0.3

Rel Humidity 76%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 7.6 N

Average Speed 1.6 N

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 0.6

Total yesterday 11.1

Pressure (mb):

Current 1000.1

Trend (per hour) -0.2

the trend (pre hour) for temp is actually falling now

weather station has not been up for long

Edited by simon65

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I know this is a bit of a straw clutch, but could this be a little bit of a feature developing?

maybe a trough

I'm no expert but I'm guessing that there is some bitterly cold (-10) air being drawn away from Norway and undercutting the slighly warmer air over the north sea which hasproduced a thin line of convection.

You can see it more clearly here

As to what it develops into, that I don't know. But it's nice to see that cold air coming our way!

Posted

Time and time again for the years ive been living down here in this little corner of england. Always wait till nightfall for any snow showers.. someting to do with the sea surface temp and land surface temp matching.. but correct me if im wrong??, anyway!!, ive always notice showers develope more and move inland a lot more overnight. Daytime they just break up after a couple of miles inland.. start of jan 87 and feb 91 events prime example. Also this feels so dejavu to the jan 87 event.. that was overcast and dry and bloody cold for about 5 days before that all kicked in.. and me and my mates will never ever forget that one.

So patience my corner buddies ive a feeling we will talk about this in the years to come :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

This winter reminds of when I was in Tunbridge Wells (New Year 1970). My brother and I were fighting over a pair of binoculars - looking for 'moderate' or 'heavy' snow coming from the NE... :D:D

Closing this, a new thread: