Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 19

MAF

Posted

It looks good for a White New Year but it is still 5 days away so things can change. A huge backtrack by GFS and this coldspell could last a long while. GFS shows snow showers as we go into New Year. Significant snow is possible towards the end of this week. We will just have to wait and see

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Met Office warning of HEAVY RAIN......Oh how exciting! Heavy Rain lol as I thought and as that is all I was expecting anyway. Up to 25mm of it.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

So guys and gals, anyone know what North East Norfolk will get out of the next snowy period?

Well with charts like this:

post-10203-12620167745313_thumb.gif

We should all do very well with snow including you :D:drinks: :o A slight ramp there I must admit! Good chance for some significant snowfall towards the end of the week. Im just going to wait and see.....

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

BBC forecasts today have mentioned that there is a risk of snow in the Chilterns tomorrow - will just have to wait and see what falls out of the sky. Currently clear and another frost developing. Temp is -0.7c after a max today of 1.9c

Posted

BBC forecasts today have mentioned that there is a risk of snow in the Chilterns tomorrow - will just have to wait and see what falls out of the sky. Currently clear and another frost developing. Temp is -0.7c after a max today of 1.9c

you wait to see the bbc forecast forecast fri/sat the way things are going its going to get very cold!!!!!!

Posted

4 days of rain to come for me in Lowestoft, nice.

At this rate the Met will revise their forecasts across the country. The forecasts will change for the better

Posted

Met Office warning of HEAVY RAIN......Oh how exciting! Heavy Rain lol as I thought and as that is all I was expecting anyway. Up to 25mm of it.

well at long last the Met O have updated the forecast page

Headline:

Cold with rain and snow moving into the south.

This Evening and Tonight:

Frost in the north with wintry showers over north and east Scotland. Rain over southwest England extending further northeast, with snow later developing across Wales, and parts of central England. Winds also strengthening in the south.

Tuesday:

Snow over much of Wales and central England, perhaps extending northwards to parts of northern England but mainly falling as rain in the south. Sunshine and wintry showers for Scotland.

Updated: 1533 on Mon 28 Dec 2009

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Rain and snow over central and southern parts will continue Wednesday before edging southwards and turning more generally to snow during Thursday, with perhaps further snow in the southeast Friday.

Updated: 1533 on Mon 28 Dec 2009

Posted

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Cold and breezy on Wednesday with outbreaks of rain or snow. Bitterly cold and windy on Thursday with sleet or snow. Bright and breezy with occasional snow showers on Friday.

Met Update. I sort of expect that to change in time too

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

I have checked the forecast temps for surrey (sw london area) on MetO and they have my area with a high of 10 for new years eve:wacko:. According to that it would be rather difficult for anything other than rain for here? Im not too good at reading the models (not that it is much help at the moment)! But will the colder air make it down here in the New Year time frame??

Posted

I have checked the forecast temps for surrey (sw london area) on MetO and they have my area with a high of 10 for new years eve:wacko:. According to that it would be rather difficult for anything other than rain for here? Im not too good at reading the models (not that it is much help at the moment)! But will the colder air make it down here in the New Year time frame??

hello Amanzi, the problem with the Met O forecast is that it was last updated this morning. i cant really answer your question, but understand that the latest models are now possibly giving the north-south divide between rain/snow as a bit further south than it did this morning :( but i have to say that the current output has confused me totally and i am now looking at the next 24 hours rather than anything further out. :(

Posted

Basically the colder air moves south when the low pressure that is due to give rain and maybe snow to some of us clears off into the English channel, which might not be until New Years eve, then leaving us in a cold most likely North Easterly airflow, and this should give us snow showers off the North Sea. This could give significant snowfalls to many parts of the region over the weekend, but in weather terms this is still a long way off

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Cold here, frost developing already......... There must a warm front embeded with the band other wise it would stay as snow?

Hi Saint, Yes it is a warm front trying to push in to the UK but it will be pushed out over the week and after it has been pushed out of the UK a much colder North Easterly(Most likely) will flow

This Met Fax chart shows the front :

post-10203-12620217025113_thumb.gif

Although most of the region will miss out tomorrow, we can look forward to the rest of week, loads of potential for snow. Keep your eyes open this week is what I say

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

The bbc news 24 weather have updated there forcast saying heavy snow will stall to the north and west of london northwards to Birmingham and accross to south wales. whistling.gif

Would be nice to see this 'stalling' snow over here but will be too far away it sounds!

Posted

What does anyone think the chances of Hertfordshire seeing snow tomorrow, or in the next few days? I'm interested in what others think the chances or risks are as I haven't a clue.:hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

If i'm correct, tomorrow will be mainly rain for us down here, but on Thursday there is a higher risk of snow as the colder air moves south with the low, and then after that we are at the mercy of a bitter easterly! currently the charts are showing this pattern throughout, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people got a foot of snow at a time, and with the cold it will stay there, so with added snowfalls there is a chance for one hell of a covering!

Posted

I think the cold spell starts for us on Thursday as the system sweeps back south and out to sea. The colder air will undercut and there is a risk of heavy snow on Thursday for our region. Even though it is 3 days off, thats a long way off in weather terms

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

those of us nw of london will need some elevation tomorrow if you want to see sticking snow. every chance of sleet and some wet snow but the way things look at the moment, the chilterns will be the only part of the se to see snow sticking. still time for some nuances but would be surprised to see much of a change from here on in. if the precip gets very heavy, then evap cooling could drop the freezing level but i dont expect too many reports of good settling snow below 500 feet.

also, the latest ecm precip charts show precious little for us later in the week away from kent/sussex. time for things to change there though.

Edited by bluearmy

Posted

Hello Snowman,

I know it might change, but what do you see for Yarmouth/Lowestoft and Reedham areas in the next few days, only Southernman will be working outside in it till late at night and we like to keep uptodate with what to prepare for for him when going out on shift.

Posted

If i'm correct, tomorrow will be mainly rain for us down here, but on Thursday there is a higher risk of snow as the colder air moves south with the low, and then after that we are at the mercy of a bitter easterly! currently the charts are showing this pattern throughout, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people got a foot of snow at a time, and with the cold it will stay there, so with added snowfalls there is a chance for one hell of a covering!

I'd agree although not convinced we will see that much snow. Other parts to our North will do, it seems. Lots of rain coming though....!!! HOWEVER, Thursday is still a long way off.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

Hello Snowman,

I know it might change, but what do you see for Yarmouth/Lowestoft and Reedham areas in the next few days, only Southernman will be working outside in it till late at night and we like to keep uptodate with what to prepare for for him when going out on shift.

Based on the latest BBC forecasts, they mentioned the possibility of heavy snow on Thursday. They didnt mention exact places of snow. Based on what I know now, the most likely scenario for coastal areas is rain and sleet on the front edge and as the colder air moves through, it could produce snow on the back edge as it moves out of the UK. This could all change though, as 3 days in weather terms is a long way off

Snowman :unsure:

Edited by Snowman0697