Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 9

Methuselah

Posted

I am well jealous of you lot that's for sure. Wish I back in Dundee where my mither reports 10 inch of snow in the back garden and with major deluges to come this week.

Try and send some of here on the North Easterly, cheers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I am well jealous of you lot that's for sure. Wish I back in Dundee where my mither reports 10 inch of snow in the back garden and with major deluges to come this week.

Try and send some of here on the North Easterly, cheers.

We'll do our best... :drinks: :lol: :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

this weather is getting boring some may say we are getting spoiled fair enough but where i live you cant even walk a yard outside due to ice.any major weather events taking place this week looks to be in wales the midlands and northern england some seem to think they will be over there heads wth snow. some may have egg on there face come thursday we will see girl_devil.gif

Posted

When did we last get a snowfall around here on a north-easterly? I can't remember one in the last 10 years...

Good question HC...But, in late 2000, we had snow showers every 10 minutes, on a NE wind. That said, I'd far rather see a WNW gale as per when the Braer went down...At least 30cm!

Posted

Just started to snow with us here. Been falling for around 10-15 minutes now and getting heavier.

Temperatures have been around -5'c all day, although just before the snow arrived it has climed to the dizzy heights of -0.5'C.

Although I say it's getting heavier, it's not quite prawn cracker snow, very small flakes, but many off.

Posted

Just started to snow with us here. Been falling for around 10-15 minutes now and getting heavier.

Temperatures have been around -5'c all day, although just before the snow arrived it has climed to the dizzy heights of -0.5'C.

Although I say it's getting heavier, it's not quite prawn cracker snow, very small flakes, but many off.

It's maybe 15 minutes' away from here, JL...Even a centimetre would do - for now??? :drinks:

Posted

My brother just told me that he watched the BBC forecast and they are predicting snow showers for NE Scotland tonight, i havent been able to verify this anywhere, am i missing something?

Posted

I've just been walking in Lomond hills, I'll put up some pics later.

Pretty sure it was an ice day here, certainly the frost didn't melt even in the sun. Temps started to fall away at about 1400.

Posted

My brother just told me that he watched the BBC forecast and they are predicting snow showers for NE Scotland tonight, i havent been able to verify this anywhere, am i missing something?

I can verify - Met Office have just issued a warning http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/gr/gr_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

Between 5-10 cms are expected thisevening and overnight.

These snow showers have just arrived in Northern Moray and should hit the Aberdeen area by 6-7 pm

Posted

Presumably from that comma feature that has been sitting above us all day, The NAE (what the BBC use?) have been keen to show it changing direction a little and moving back down over the NE around midnight: see this during the last 2 runs

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Light snow reached here too...Comma cloud, I think - Monds??

Posted

Temps should be beginning to fall soon. Sun is almost down. -9 at Strathallan and -10 at Aviemore currently.

I think we could be on for maybe a -18° - not sure about -20°. Temp now down to -12° in Aviemore at 3pm from -10° at 2pm - that's quite a significant drop in a relatively short period of time.

Posted

Are we really entering an "astounding" and "incredible" spell of weather?

Quote:

Is this excitement merited, guys? Haven't we had some "astounding" and "incredible" wx already or is there so much more to come? I take everything with a pinch of grit on the model threads, but when you see this and other quotes, you begin to wonder if it's gonna be historical weather in years to come????

Posted

I'm buggered if I know, Monds...I have moderately heavy snowfall the noo...Now, do you undestand how the MetO get stumped??? :drinks:

We'll get 15cm, if this keeps up??? :D:D :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Still baffled by the lack of significance given to the snow potential tomorrow night onwards for here - where is the major snow potential in this chart - Central Scotland or the M4 corridor? post-9298-12620174327113_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Are we really entering an "astounding" and "incredible" spell of weather?

Quote:

Is this excitement merited, guys? Haven't we had some "astounding" and "incredible" wx already or is there so much more to come? I take everything with a pinch of grit on the model threads, but when you see this and other quotes, you begin to wonder if it's gonna be historical weather in years to come????

I think the year we have all been waiting for has finally arrived Mondy! :drinks:

Posted

Steady snowfall here now very small flakes and currently -4c .It came off the Firth very quickly about an hour ago making it dark very quickly after a fine sunny winters day.

Posted

Still baffled by the lack of significance given to the snow potential tomorrow night onwards for here - where is the major snow potential in this chart - Central Scotland or the M4 corridor? post-9298-12620174327113_thumb.png

You are entitled to post that in the model thread, just like anyone else is - it's a very valid point and may get a few replies :D

Posted

Steady snowfall here now very small flakes and currently -4c .It came off the Firth very quickly about an hour ago making it dark very quickly after a fine sunny winters day.

How far inland are you from the Moray coast - Aberchirder kind of area?

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted

Steady snow here too, NL...Let me know if you need any help on the farm???