Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Could We Have The Biggest Snowfall Since 1995

berometer

Is it possible that parts of the east mids and midlands south could see a good dumping of snow,after just checking the midlands cold spell disscusion some people seem dissapointed at the latest gfs charts but I think it's for those down in the south where it was forecast rain at first. How much snow would nottingham benifit from if the forecasts proves to be correct. There seems to be lots of topics for different regions would it be ok to open up a east midlands topic as thats where Nottingham is classed rather than just the midlands?.

Posted

east midlands thread dont be silly, the scottish will kick off about that as they don't even havent southern or northern divide when discussing the cold spell, and may I add thats a fair point as people forget how big scotland is. it's best to class yourself as midlands because too many regions can overcomplicate these boards, i mean for example cheltenham is it in the midlands is it in the south west, west country, central southern england etc, i know im in the south west midlands shame the people on tv cant make their mind up.

in terms of totals it all depends at this moment of time its hard to predict as the front will break up,its one of those will see on the day.but think we will all see our fair share

Posted

I think forecasters are looking for a bit more agreement among the models before sounding too dire, but the present indications are portentous if you want to see heavy snowfall.

The various models seem to have two underlying themes, first, a strong low around 48N 22W currently (970 mbs) is likely to slow down and almost stall south of Ireland or in the Channel approaches by Wednesday morning, and the general path of frontal waves after that is likely to be more across northern France than southern England. This should allow most of the cold air to remain at the surface especially away from the south coast, and with an increasingly cold fetch from Scandinavia coming into the picture by later Wednesday into Thursday, I think there could easily be a widespread heavy snow event shaping up this week.

The details are somewhat murky but at the moment it would favour eastern counties of England and some higher parts of the inland south.

The GFS model seems to be relatively weak for snowfall potential, the ECM and GEM about the same and a bit higher, the UKMO looks more organized for the low, the FAX stresses the occlusion and indicates snow, and some of the lesser models are even stronger for snow potential (if NOGAPS verified there would be an epic snowfall).

I would say 60-70 per cent chance of a heavy snowfall event on the balance of what we're seeing from the models this morning. Timing, some snow to begin on Tuesday, but heavier snow for Wed-Thurs and becoming more of a sea-effect streamer event by Thursday-Friday.

Could even be near-blizzard conditions for some if these maps verify.

Posted

Is it possible that parts of the east mids and midlands south could see a good dumping of snow,after just checking the midlands cold spell disscusion some people seem dissapointed at the latest gfs charts but I think it's for those down in the south where it was forecast rain at first. How much snow would nottingham benifit from if the forecasts proves to be correct. There seems to be lots of topics for different regions would it be ok to open up a east midlands topic as thats where Nottingham is classed rather than just the midlands?.

how abut you put your nearest town in your avatar?

please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Can I just ask why (in the UK) we don't get the monster snow storms seen recently in the USA? Is it to do with landmass? And what conditions would need to be in place for the UK to experience such a wintery deluge?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, feel free to point me in the right direction!

Can I just ask why (in the UK) we don't get the monster snow storms seen recently in the USA? Is it to do with landmass? And what conditions would need to be in place for the UK to experience such a wintery deluge?

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, feel free to point me in the right direction!

How about bigger temperature differentials between the air masses i.e. warm moist air from the Gulf of Mexico meeting very cold Canadian air?