Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 8

Methuselah

Posted

snow here =] were getting a lovely dumping. blooming cold outside the door was frozen shut when I went outside for a cig!

Having the door frozen shut makes sneeking out for a cig a much more intricate affair.

I have snow now with 850s of between -3C and -3.3C (according to the overlay on NW Radar). So do not be disheartened by what the 850s are doing. You may have enough surface cold to allow snow to fall.

Edit: For anyone with horrible sleet just now, my snow started off as rain earlier....

I have snow grains starting, so our surface air is only freezing the rain, I think the rain will win out :lol:

Don't even bother with the model thread lads and lassies. The 18z GFS for parts of Scotland is a little on the chilly side :lol:, but if you read the model thread winter is over....

18z GFS sees this precip band stopping in front of the cold air and pivoting south and then east....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

They've obviously been on the Buckfast in the model Output Discussion thread.:lol:

Posted

Mondy, hold tight snow is coming, whiteout here, (top of high bonybridge) minor thaw being toped up nicely

Haaaaa! You're right.

Now the big white stuff is back after a worrying moment or two :-)

How good is this cold spell - the model disco troops have no idea :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Snow should reach Dundee before Midnight. Going to watch the lamp post in bed. Nite nite all.:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

They've obviously been on the Buckfast in the model Output Discussion thread.;)

Much happier here. Wife has the flu, kids are upstairs or out and I have control of the computer and TV. Football on, just started my second bottle of wine and my only movements are to check the streetlight and the temps on my weather station. :lol:

ps And Saints won 3-1 away. ;)

Edited by Norrance

Posted

Great! Means more snow for me :p

No...I don't really mean that - nothin' worse than being marginal :-( ...

It is like "snowballs"* coming down here. Thick flakes like this morning. Quite a shower. Even if it does turn to rain now it will just freeze up into an unholy mess. Sorry you missed out Ross :(

*Mrs Catch's very accurate description, some huge flakes!!!

It's going to be fun in the morning, the rain hasn't really thawed a huge amount of the snow and now it's going to freeze overnight probably. We already have ice 3 inches deep in places :lol:

We could have had a lot more snow out of this cold spell so far but its still been great. Whats that, 8 or 9 days now with some sort of snow on the ground? Unheard of in these parts :D

It's going to be fun in the morning, the rain hasn't really thawed a huge amount of the snow and now it's going to freeze overnight probably. We already have ice 3 inches deep in places :(

We could have had a lot more snow out of this cold spell so far but its still been great. Whats that, 8 or 9 days now with some sort of snow on the ground? Unheard of in these parts :D

This is the 18z GFS take on the forecast for me overnight and into tomorrow. Click on this for an example of a "wobbly":

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;type=free;ct=15891~Kilmacolm;sess=0341dee291f13bdeeedb114cf6f5b530#forecast

What??????? ;) ;) ;):p

I'm going to wake up to 3 inches of ice and 3 inches of snow, all mixed up together :):( :lol:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Much happier here. Wife has the flu, kids are upstairs or out and I have control of the computer and TV. Football on, just started my second bottle of wine and my only movements are to check the streetlight and the temps on my weather station. rolleyes.gif

ps And Saints won 3-1 away. yahoo.gif

Temps still good??? It wont be long.

Interesting, this band is moving NE, but is thought to move back SE to the North sea later, which may mean it stalls slightly, hopefully giving good falls before doing so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Temps still good??? It wont be long.

Interesting, this band is moving NE, but is thought to move back SE to the North sea later, which may mean it stalls slightly, hopefully giving good falls before doing so.

Up marginally to -2.9C. Still dry, hopefully not too long to wait now.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

It's perishin' here tonight... Plus it didn't get above -2 all day. Our 'milder spell' (+3 or thereabouts) seems to have come and gone.

I see we have some warnings out now that weren't there earlier, for widesread icy roads - considering it has been below freezing from yesterday (maybe even the day before, can't remem

ber now - too much vodka yesterday) to now I'd say that was a bit 'stable doors, horses gone'ish

Merry Xmas xxx Stayed about -5 during the day in Newdeer Aberdeenshire with freezing fog, i did pay a visit to my in-laws in Aberdeen i was shocked at the state of roads and pavements!!! I don't think they have been cleared since the start of the snow!!!

I was going to post on Xmas Eve as we had really bad thunder and lightning about 5 in evening i have never seen anything thing like it :cc_confused I thought my Xmas lights had blown up at first until i realised it was thunder and lightning!! Did anyone else in Aberdeenshire - anywhere!! hear it?? see it???

Jackie

God help anyone reading that thread and wanting to learn from it.

Some absolute garbage being spouted in there today.

It's Paul and the mods I feel sorry for. I mean it's Boxing Day and they have to put up with that kind of mince....which brings me to a funny story (since it's Boxing Day :lol:).

Mrs Catch was in hospital with some complications when she was preggers with BoyCatch. An older lady was in the bed across the room and during the night the older lady started shouting "Nurse nurse nurse". The nurse arrived quickly and asked what was wrong. The older lady replied, "Nurse, there is mince in my bed". The nurse replied "That's not mince" before pulling on rubber gloves and preparing a clean up.......

Posted

PPN shifted from west(rain) to east(snow) after fog beggered off

Crazy synopsis I'm sure...currently snowing 180deg opposite direction from earlier today, which brought HUGE flakes.

Posted

Crazy synopsis I'm sure...currently snowing 180deg opposite direction from earlier today, which brought HUGE flakes.

Have you had a look at the projected PPN on the new Met radar? Non stop till after 9am tomorrow!!! :lol:

And the Kilmacolm snow dome seems finally to be spluttering into life. We have had more snow today than in the whole cold spell put together. Getting on for a couple of inches today. Very very unexpected. Precip type radar still showing sleet for here :lol:

Yet it is snowing again. Thick, thick snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Yay! Snowing again! :p

PS: What's happened to our southern cousins in the Model Output Argument Discussion Thread? Seems that over Crimbo they've done a reverse Christmas Carol and all turned into Bah Humbug people!!

I see Monds has entered the fray with the blue beret on. That ought to sort it - good luck... latest post got deleted. Best leave them to it, mate. Bald men arguing over a comb. We've nicked all their snow. :lol:

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

Fingers crossed for Central Fife tonight! :p

It's either raining or snowing outside at the moment -Well it was when I checked:lol:

Dew Point at 1.1C though :lol:

Night all

Edited by snowmess

Yay! Snowing again! :p

PS: What's happened to our southern cousins in the Model Output Argument Discussion Thread? Seems that over Crimbo they've done a reverse Christmas Carol and all turned into Bah Humbug people!!

I see Monds has entered the fray with the blue beret on. That ought to sort it - good luck... :lol:

PG, was it you who I was talking to about outdoor curling, as I may have exclusive news about the Lowland Outdoor Curling season?!!!

Posted

I see Monds has entered the fray with the blue beret on. That ought to sort it - good luck... :lol:

PMSL! Got binned..

Model thread should be tagged with a caution "Do not enter unless suitably thick-skinned or generally rude.....or inbred" :p

Snow is belting down - will try take a pic or two, even at this whiteout hour :(

Fingers crossed for Central Fife tonight! ;)

It's either raining or snowing outside at the moment -Well it was when I checked:lol:

Dew Point at 1.1C though :D

Night all

I'd wait if I were (if you can) - rain is a tease, snow is behind it :(

Posted

Well the precipitation has finally arrived here and it's ????

Ice pellets with a snow mix. :lol: Temps -2.7C

Good night all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

PG, was it you who I was talking to about outdoor curling, as I may have exclusive news about the Lowland Outdoor Curling season?!!!

Aye, it likely was as I'm obsessed with the Holy Grail of another outdoor Grand Match ever happening again in my lifetime (30+ years since the last one!). Every year I wait and every year nae dice (or stanes on the ice) so far...

Do tell all - are there any rumours that we may have a sniff of it this year? Must be in with a wee bit of a shout if we can get over this less cold blip and get a reload of the very cold stuff.