Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 8

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here we are... :yahoo::D

And, a linky...http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/59066-scottish-cold-spell-discussion-7/page__pid__1673662__st__374entry1673662

Posted

Mid afternoon temps:

-9c at Tulloch Bridge

-10c Loch Glascarnoch

-9c Altnaharra

-7c Aviemore

I'm glad we have a dedicated cold spell discussion - it's never gets mild here :yahoo:

Posted

It's taters, Monds. I don't know what happened to my link??? :yahoo:

If only some of your sneachd could creep its way up this way, overnight???? :D

Posted

Yet another cold day here. I've now not recorded a temperature above freezing since Monday - and even then it was about +1.5'C for about 2 hours.

Today's warmest temperature has been -3.7'C (so far)while the lowest overnight was -8.4'C. Every day since Monday has seen similar temperatures, although with it having being so cold over the course of the week I don't think we've had as much snow as others have across the country. In saying that we probably have around 10 inches of settled snow, which has totaly frozen solid now.

I see the temps are supposed to stay below frezing for quite a while to come yet.

Here is a photo I took yesterday of some sheep struggling away in the snow.

post-491-12618383351913_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

BBC News 24 appear to be going for snowfall across the central belt tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Posted

could anyone help my daughter and oh ,they tried to get up to lewis from dundee a few days ago ,and had to turn back they are thinking of trying again ,tomorrow but it's started to snow in dundee and they are wondering if they will make it or ort to just forget it for this year ,i've looked at the webcams along the route but things can change really quicky

it's raining here ,and fairly warm against you lot on the mainland

Edited by milkmaid

Posted

Don't know how everyone else feels, but I'm really enjoying not really giving a monkeys about the detail of the models - just the trend is enough, knowing we're in for more white stuff over the next week. Must be how a Russian, Finn or a Swede must normally feel looking in on the intensity of the model thread when there's a whiff of cold in the air!

Posted

Don't know how everyone else feels, but I'm really enjoying not really giving a monkeys about the detail of the models - just the trend is enough, knowing we're in for more white stuff over the next week. Must be how a Russian, Finn or a Swede must normally feel looking in on the intensity of the model thread when there's a whiff of cold in the air!

Aye Shuggs...Some of this 'no snow for me, if the xxZ pans out at T+yy' is all getting a tad tiresome...Enjoy the Chinese! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Same here Shuggee. 9th consecutive day with snow on the ground here and temperature hasn't got above 2c at the airport in all that time. Bloody fantastic. Everything/anything that happens over the next 5-10-14 days is pure bonus material as far as I'm concerned.

Would like to see a bit more frost digging in to really ice up the ponds and canals , and consolidate the snowcover. Although naturally I do not want to see any OAP's freezing to death or wildlife going hungry biggrin.gif

Posted

The general trend for next week is ace!!!crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just got back from lunch up at Weem near Aberfeldy. A flurry or two up there where it all looks very picture postcard. Car temps pretty much -5C or under there.

Got back to Dundee where there has been a slight new cover of snow this afternoon. Currently cloudy at -1.8C

Posted

Currently -7c here after max of -4c during the day with long spells of sunshine and with some classic snow showers on the far distant northern horizon. Snowcover is now so hard that the sheep cannot scrape down to the grass underneath and are now devouring the hay we put out for them 5 days ago.

I've lost count of how many days with snow on the ground. Although I did start to panic at one point today when I could hear the odd drip coming off the snow laden trees, the temp must have been away up to 0.5C.

Posted

I feel exactly the same. Was looking at the model thread there and seems to be a fair bit of rather heated debate going on between the normally more level headed and sensible members. They all seem to be arguing over who is to get the snow on Tuesday from the "second" cold spell while we're still enjoying the first with the threat of more snow :p

Poor mutts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I've lost count of how many days with snow on the ground. Although I did start to panic at one point today when I could hear the odd drip coming off the snow laden trees, the temp must have been away up to 0.5C.

It was raining earlier in Glasgow and there had definitely been a thaw. Think the temp has been up at +1 today. Doesn't feel as though this qualifies as being 'cold' any more!

It was raining earlier in Glasgow and there had definitely been a thaw. Think the temp has been up at +1 today. Doesn't feel as though this qualifies as being 'cold' any more!

I know, it's a heatwave!! :lol: I can see the headlines in the Scottish Daily Mail tomorrow....

Precip closing in, Rain/Sleet/Snow or No ? 0c here dewpoint 0c, going to be close! (again!)

I hope Arran doesn't deflect it tonight ;)

Posted

Hey guys and gals.... thought you would like to know "How well the METO did" with their snow forecasting !!!! (NOT) but they are still giving their backs a good old pat !!! :lol:

From around mid-December, cold air from eastern Europe dominated the UK weather. This was to be the start of a cold spell which would continue up to the start of the Christmas period.

Widespread frost, ice and snow affected some areas.

* The first significant snowfall occurred on the night of Thursday 17 December and into Friday 18 December.

* Parts of south-east England, Yorkshire and north-east England were badly affected, with particularly deep snow in parts of East Anglia.

Read More ------------> http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/ht20091223.html

Now their press release will get a good few Scots hopping MAD ;);)

Hope you enjoy this comedy sketch ! :lol:

Edited by scotweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Interesting day: went to Edinburgh at 12pm, where it was sleety in the west end but raining with snow thawing in the centre. On the way back, even the usually snowy Glenrothes had sleet but as soon as we got to Cadham it came on as snow again, and when we got to Freuchie there was an extra cm or so on the pavements and it was -1C. There was about 5 minutes of rain, even though the temperatures were comfortably sub-zero, so I hate to think what the roads will be like. Good to know that this was the mild day: maxima in Freuchie were only 0.8C! I'm not really bothered about precipitation until tomorrow evening onwards, though another few cms wouldn't go amiss! Bags of snow possible from Monday onwards, with the wind direction moving from northerly to easterly and then to a northeasterly, so hopefully most areas will get there fair share again, even Duncan and Catch!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hey guys and gals.... thought you would like to know "How well the METO did" with their snow forecasting !!!! (NOT) but they are still giving their backs a good old pat !!! diablo.gif

Read More ------------> http://www.metoffice...ht20091223.html

Now their press release will get a good few Scots hopping MAD tease.gifdiablo.gif

Hope you enjoy this comedy sketch ! drinks.gif

No mention of the snow in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen between the 22nd and 23rd, no highest snow depths from the 23rd, when there was at least 10 cm across most of Scotland, no mention of the lack of warnings issued for eastern Scotland or the failure to even forecast the two main snow events here, no mention of the 7cm of snow here on Thursday - what a load of cr*p!!!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Weather station at the airport is reporting 'ice crystals' - sounds very festive. Freezing fog / light freezing drizzle??