Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

An informal thread away from the model discussion for conversation about the continuing cold spell and potential for it to return south of Birmingham *snigger* :cold::hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

An informal thread away from the model discussion for conversation about the continuing cold spell and potential for it to return south of Birmingham *snigger* biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Heh...very good.

What I would like to know is do certain stations in highland Scotland not get credited for lowest maximum temps achieved that day ? I am sure there have been occasions where places like Aviemore have struggled to go above -7/8C, only for another station to be given the record low max of the day with a much higer temp.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Afternoon folks

I have been watching this thread now for a few Months and have decided to make a post. I think it is still much too early to make an assessment of where snow will or won't fall. The talk here of mega bilzzards

occurring next week seems a little exaggerated although potentially it could happen. Having lived through many cold winters i think we need to be careful what we wish for, quite a few people lost their

lives in my area because ambulances, Police and the fire service could not get to them ..having said that i would love to see a return to the Winters i was used to as a child and remember being able to open

my bedroom window and walk off down the street in 1978 ..i think come Monday we will be able to say more accurately what will happen and where ..the models should have settled down by then ...now back to

the Sherry !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

cold spell breathed it's last here yesterday afternoon, hopefully we get a reload.

Posted

Didnt know where to put this

We just had one of the heaviest Hailstorms i have ever seen, everything has on completely white out with Hail, Absolute amazing to watch and some was size of marbles. Amazing Anvils now at the back of it now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Cold spell discussion just started again? I didn't notice the cold spell had finished - maxima only 0.8C here with an additional dusting of snow on top of the 8cm left from Wednesday's snowfall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cold spell discussion just started again? I didn't notice the cold spell had finished - maxima only 0.8C here with an additional dusting of snow on top of the 8cm left from Wednesday's snowfall.

Yep,

An ice day here with a small top up of snow. Max temp in the last week 2C so no end yet [or likely soon]. Colder still inland further North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Yep,

An ice day here with a small top up of snow. Max temp in the last week 2C so no end yet [or likely soon]. Colder still inland further North.

Yep, Alness has had ice days constantly since Monday, with 10 inches of snow on the ground frozen! Imagine how the south would cope with real cold like that!!! Anyway, looks like both you and I may be looking at a direct hit from the band of precipitation coming up from the south - just hope temperatures stay below freezing and the precipitation stays as snow!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi,

I'd like to have a brief comment on the angle that many posters take within the Model Discussion thread.

Often I read on day X this may or may not happen, this needs to happen, hopefully this will happen; people always looking to the future; there often seems to be a distinct lack of 'the now'. What did happen against what was projected? Are we experiencing weather today that was projected 3 days ago?

If today's weather was forecasted to be 5c, but actually turned out to be 2c surely this has some bearing on upstream developments and could be viewed as a good thing for an upcoming cold period being progged. Surely the journey is just as important as the destination?

Posted

Whatever is dicussed on here concerning the up coming snow or will it rain debate,the weatheronline weather forecaste has been pretty accurate.The latest update just come up snow wales s uk,

Posted

If you type in "Modern Er@" it comes up with "christmas pudding"

Posted

In the 81/82 (I think) snowfall, we had rain at first that was supercooled and turned instantly to ice on everything it touched, blades of grass, twigs, the entire side of my house even had a good inch of solid ice on it in a single sheet, then it snowed and built up huge drifts, in one part a drift was topped out above a telegraph pole, the night of the snowfall though was the most spectacular with a moon close to full I walked across a snow filled lane with an easterly wind whistling across the fields to go to the pub, more for the walk than a drink, and in doing so passed a row of beech trees that were covered in ice from trunk to twig, the whole lot sparkling in the moonlight, it was a sight I'll never forget, I wonder if it could happen again?

Posted

I find it strange that the north midlands/south yorkshire arent in the orange zone..??

The front will have difficulty progressing much further, despite the outcomes of the GFS,

Posted

The ECM precipitation charts bring the precipitation to the North Midlands, UKMO does and so Does the GFS. UKMO and GFS would have it turn to rain for most of us apart apart from north of Yorkshire. The ECM would be an all snow event. I just remain to the North of the heaviest pnp though. So the 5cm to 10cm risk for south Yorkshire and North Mids is just about right if you went with the ECM (which is what the meto seem to agree with) smile.gif

http://en.vedur.is/w...ntic/#type=prec

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Simple reason.. you're not meant to be badly effected.

Come on...you're forgetting the unwritten rule that any warning which doesn't include the area any person lives in must be wrong, like a model which doesn't show endless snow is 'missing data'.

The cold spell has never left these parts, with the maximum temperature since the 17th being just 2.6C yesterday. There's still 3" of snow lying everywhere, and outside right now, it's currently -2.6C.

Is it a crime to take some rock-slat from a roadside bin to spread at home to prevent a slip or fall which would result in a broken back and cost the NHS millions of pounds?

Posted

Is it a crime to take some rock-slat from a roadside bin to spread at home to prevent a slip or fall which would result in a broken back and cost the NHS millions of pounds?

Theft by finding probably. They sling you in a freezing cold cell, take your mug shot, all your finger prints and swab you for DNA.

Posted

Theft by finding probably. They sling you in a freezing cold cell, take your mug shot, all your finger prints and swab you for DNA.

Perhaps then I should pretend I'm a farmer, get a young child to balance precariously on the handle bars of an unlicenced, uninsured quad bike, chuck some orange bailer twine around the place, sell red diesel to my friends, and then take some rock-salt from the roadside bins. Farmers seem immune from the normal laws, so I should be ok then.

Nice place Llandysul by the way...had a few childhood holidays there.

Edited by Osbourne One-Nil

Posted

Perhaps then I should pretend I'm a farmer, get a young child to balance precariously on the handle bars of an unlicenced, uninsured quad bike, chuck some orange bailer twine around the place, sell red diesel to my friends, and then take some rock-salt from the roadside bins. Farmers seem immune from the normal laws, so I should be ok then.

Nice place Llandysul by the way...had a few childhood holidays there.

the farming community would never get up to such things OON lol.

Posted

Funny you should say that, because I've heard a rumour that one of the farmers from Crosby Ravensworth is engaged to someone who has a different surname, and lives in Maulds Meaburn. Times are changing.

Is it going to snow up north?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I hope not, because if it is then I'm a hardened criminal. I live at the top of a 1:5 hill on a single track road, there's a grit bin half way up and I regularly take half a shovel full to combat the snow and ice in front of my garage.

Far less wasteful than some of the residents lower down the hill who seem to think rock salt is ineffective unless spread in a carpet an inch deep over the entire road surface.