Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 9

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

just checked outside its snowing here only light stuff, but looking at radar there is heavier ppn closing in around cumbria! temp 1.3c DP -0.9

still trying to work out why keswick 20 odd miles inland is showing 4c and much higher elevation as im only 2 miles from coast and much colder.... and shap is showing the same temp as me @ 1000ft high

Edited by james12

Hey

Ive just had rain/sleet and snow for most of the evening, currently raining and melting the snow. Current temp 3c and dew 0c. Any chance of some snow.

its a bit of a mess to be honest TS.

Real mix here,personally im not expecting it to be white in the morning.Looks very cold from now on though until late next week i reckon,we hopefully might get chances in that period.

:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Hey

Ive just had rain/sleet and snow for most of the evening, currently raining and melting the snow. Current temp 3c and dew 0c. Any chance of some snow.

temps are all over the place, im at 1.0c below zero DP and yet other places are 3 or 4c which are normally colder than me here near to the coast, poss milder air spinning round and mixing mith the cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Still stuck at the very wet snow stage here, temp is just not budging from 1.3°C

Posted

Wrong side of marginal here. Temps cemented at 3c, and even if it was cold enough for snow, the precipitation is just too light. Time to sign off for the night I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

OMG it's dropped a whole 0.1°C :wacko:.

In all seriousness, I really hope we get a bit more heavier precip but the radar doesn't look great.

Posted

The 528 dam line has yet to breach the region it is tentatively close to north cumbria.

Here we are have a very keen raw easterly wind and there have been one or two what look like snow flurries in the wind, however, I'm not expecting any wintry showers to penetrate this far tomorrow, but the chances of snow falling will be much higher later tomorrow as we see those thicknesses lower and dewpoints become more conducive.

Eastern Fells look like catching some hefty snow showers tomorrow.

As for the rest of the region, best chances of snow cover will be Pennine areas above about 250m, with some temporary cover in Pennine areas above 100m or so, especially where precipitation is heaviest.

Frost unlikely this evening due to cloud and wind but some sheltered northern valleys in the Pennines and Lakes could get down to 0 degrees by dawn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Temperature really going up fast here now so our chance has gone here.

Posted

Still some wet snow falling, quite windy too, if only it was colder and heavier we'd have a veritable blizzard outside right about now! However temp has risen slightly now to 1.5°C, I doubt we'll see anything from this now. My eye is on the New Year period, it looks quite interesting after I heard Rob McElwee say "and new year brings a return to proper fluffy snow" :lol:

Posted

Hi HotCuppa when you said the dam line moving further south does that mean that colder air is going to move in and therefore temps and dps will drop? Also what is your temp and dp currently and has it been falling? Should we expect a possible transition of ppn to snow overnight what have you got now is it sleet like some others are reporting for example on the midlands forums some have been reporting a repid transition from rain/sleet to heavy snow what do you think the next few days will bring?

Luke

There is a line between newcastle and cumbria that is under the influence of an easterly, thus most things that far north are readily turning to snow. Lots of warmer moisture is slowly moving north bumping into this cold easterly wind and producing snow at elevation.

Further south and places like the midlands and elevated parts of wales are getting the snow because the temps aren't really being modified. Further the cold was over us this morning, when the temperature was rising, this moved south and bumped into the moisture and produced snow and will continue to do so. Winds are now more or less ESE so there more cooling going on.

Yes I expect the dam line to drop before too long along with the temperatures and dewpoints. What we are really waiting for is a direct easterly / north easterly to develop, the precip is here but is starting to fizz out, mostly its all rain from a line between liverpool and humberside, with places that have some height reporting snow showers and the further north you go the more the wind swings to the east and introduces that much cooler air.

Things should look a little more interesting in the next 24 hours when we end up under the colder influence of an e or ne wind and the dam line drops. We'll likely be feeding off any scraps that pop up from the sw from time to time but don't hold you breath, it's likely to get nice and cold but more or less dry..to the point where it will probably get too cold to produce anything.

My temps have remained pretty much stable.

Current Temp 2.6C

15 minute 0.0C

Dew Point 1.4C

Wind: SE 3mph veering E occassionally

Wind Gust 5mph

Humidity 93%

Precipitation: Light rain showers

Precip last hour: 0.0mm

Barometer 992.4mb dropping slowly

Forecast for my area: Light rain showers are expected to die back allowing temperatures to drop for a time before more patchy light rain arrives during the morning hours.

Prospect for snow in the next 24 hours 5%..conditions are not currently conducive for any kind of snow in my area and it's not expected to improve as tomorrow wears on. Midnight tomorrow Dec 31/ Jan 1 is looking a lot more favourable but don't expect much snow. Instead keep your eyes peeled for any possible polar lows and a potential lp sneaking in through the nw..its likely never to happen but this is the british weather and anything can happen lol

I also note that sw scotland is getting a nice dumping which isnt surprising because I feel this was always going to be the battle line, with showers and slushy wet rubbish further south.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Kettering Northants:

Temp 1.4°C (rising) D/P 1.1°C (rising)

Temps are rising in Northants., early snowfall (1.5cm) is all but gone. Looks like easterly won't be so influential afterall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Temp stayed around 1.3c during the night here and it snowed and sleeted all night long and is still going now !. Where I live theres a variable of 1 to 3 cm with some significant drifts especially over some of the roads .. i saw 3 gritters togther on the same stretch of road just now !. about a mile down road in Shaw it was mainly sleet so it was a wet picutre.

If the temps + dew points had been colder we'd have been bloody burried by now thats for sure !.

Posted

Temp stayed around 1.3c during the night here and it snowed and sleeted all night long and is still going now !. Where I live theres a variable of 1 to 3 cm with some significant drifts especially over some of the roads .. i saw 3 gritters togther on the same stretch of road just now !. about a mile down road in Shaw it was mainly sleet so it was a wet picutre.

If the temps + dew points had been colder we'd have been bloody burried by now thats for sure !.

Yes I'm just thinking how much snow we could have had by now! Big flakes coming down here now, but still not sticking, temp 1.3C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Yes I'm just thinking how much snow we could have had by now! Big flakes coming down here now, but still not sticking, temp 1.3C

Finally ... that is more like it. Grains bar and Ripponden road into Denshaw were already pretty bad with that mushy snow if you know that area so these big flakes are going to do the business if they keep up. Bet those 3 gritters were preparing for this becuase this is defonatly the worst snow of the event. Even the visablity is getting to the verge of being a full blizzard. hip hip hooray ! :lol:

Temp has started to really drop off, Im almost down into the 0's.

Put my cam online for when it gets lighter so peeps can see whats going on here

Snowmad Cam

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Just starting to sleet here as I set off for work. Nice to see some of my hillier compatriots are getting more snow. Hopefully that will spread a little to lower levels. Biting cold wind blowing too.

Posted

anyone notice the meto updated the warning for the nw at 4.20 this morning? possiblity of snow to lower levels during the day up to 5cm and hillier areas now have the risk of 20cm lol.

Posted

anyone notice the meto updated the warning for the nw at 4.20 this morning? possiblity of snow to lower levels during the day up to 5cm and hillier areas now have the risk of 20cm lol.

I wouldn't take any notice of any MetO warnings, they have been dismal during this cold spell. IMBY we have had light/moderate rain throughout the night, washing away most of the snow/ice which was left. As for next week, looks extremely cold, but very dry for us!