Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just this minute started snowing here. :good: Temps up to just about freezing point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Clouding-up from the East. But, I don't expect much (if anything) from that direction...

Yup..........and happy to admit it!!!:good:

Here's another, Gilly: gently rubbing car-roofs, in case of potential snizzle?? :good::good:

Posted

Cold one today.

We werew -6'C until about 12noon, but the temps hve risen quite a bit over the last 2 hours or so, currently at a balmy -1.9'C here.

I seen on the metoffice website that Altnhara was recording -12.8'C at noon.

Anyone no what the lowest maximum ever recorded has been ? I guess it was a good bit lower than that back in 1995/6 when Altnahara recorded the -27'C

Posted

I think that the Altnahara reading of December 1995 actually shares the all-time* record? Possibly with Braemar, but I don't know when??? :good:

* Since records began... :lol:

PS: there was a forecast for 'wintry rain' on the radio today. What's that? :good::good:

Posted

Good old Tommy Schafernaker on News 24 mentioned 30 minutes ago that more cold weather was due after this mild spell. Then again a couple of minutes ago he expanded a bit saying after a couple of days of milder weather it's due to get colder.

Great forum (and thread) everybody, first post! :good:

Posted

Welcome to netweather DK...Hope you enjoy it. And the snow, of course! :good:

Posted

Looks good for you guys up there tomorrow night, models don't quite agree on the strength of the system coming through just yet however there is some general agreement on the track now and certainly does look like there should be some decent falls, I'd imagine 5-10cms fairly widely seems good to me.

Good luck, you guys are the last bastion of the cold air for now!

Posted

Looks good for you guys up there tomorrow night, models don't quite agree on the strength of the system coming through just yet however there is some general agreement on the track now and certainly does look like there should be some decent falls, I'd imagine 5-10cms fairly widely seems good to me.

I hope so, kw...It's actually snowing here now. Though, you'd have to be a geek to see it! :blush: :blush: :blush: :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

good greif , could have 25cm here in haddington by boxing day if that happens!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

People keep mentioning a 'mild' spell. How mild are we talking here? Please not much above freezing. :blush:

Keep fearing a belt of rain will come along and wash this all away. Living in Glasgow makes you expect these things. Have to say - again - that this is bloody magic! -8 in Glasgow at noon. :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

People keep mentioning a 'mild' spell. How mild are we talking here? Please not much above freezing. :blush:

Keep fearing a belt of rain will come along and wash this all away. Living in Glasgow makes you expect these things. Have to say - again - that this is bloody magic! -8 in Glasgow at noon. :blush:

I don't think we have anything to worry about. This cold isn't going anywhere. Looks like we're in for another whumping a la Tuesday from tomorrow's band.

Happy Christmas Days! :blush:

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

Not many flights around Scotland at the moment, guess they are having difficulty landing or are just cancelled.

cheers for the link mondy , good website that is , edinburgh are landing aircraft , they've just had a flybe dash 8 land from Birmingham

Edited by Calum

Posted

People keep mentioning a 'mild' spell. How mild are we talking here? Please not much above freezing. dry.gif

Keep fearing a belt of rain will come along and wash this all away. Living in Glasgow makes you expect these things. Have to say - again - that this is bloody magic! -8 in Glasgow at noon. yahoo.gif

Well up in Scotland your still in the cold air, further south its not mild but its certainly less cold then it is up there generally. Right near the east coast looks like there is some modification occuring which is making it rather on the marginal side at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

good greif , could have 25cm here in haddington by boxing day if that happens!

Calum can you believe it, the amount of snow we've had is truly fantastic.

Enjoy christmas, hope your not needing to travel too far!

Posted

Calum can you believe it, the amount of snow we've had is truly fantastic.

Enjoy christmas, hope your not needing to travel too far!

yeah i can hardly beleive my eyes , my dad told me he hasn't saw like this in east lothian since 1985!

not needing to travel far thanfully , hope u enjoy your christmas too snowy owl smile.gif

Just looked on BBC travel and the A1 is very hazardous at thistly cross roundabout near dunbar , snow and fog are causing problems.

Posted

Well peeps, after the snow (the word 'flurry' would be an exaggeration!) it's clearing nicely. Still -3C at Dalcross, so a nippy one is in the offing... :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Just back in from town after a mild (and really pathetic !) anxiety attack (ok not a real anxiety attack...) after seeing some slight snow melt occuring on roofs and other surfaces in Leith/town. But at surface level though... Princes Street gardens , St. Andrew square/Charlotte square ... every open/grassy surface ... that cover is going precisely nowhere. Nice and deep. Just the usual urban heat-island gave me the heebee-jeebess ... all those houses, shops, car pumping out heat does make a degree or so difference on the streets at least. Airport reporting -1c , Gogarburn -0.8c ... so its all under control . Phew !

In saying that, the sooner we get to dusk, lose some cloud and get some more frost to bed things in, the happier I'll be :drinks:

Edited by by-tor