Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm wondering how Scotrail will be coping - was ok this morning on the commute up to Dundee, but I do have to get home again... Looking at the live departure boards online at Waverley it's looking erm not good...

First ppn approaching Dundee. I'm glued to the window lol.

It's all Evo's fault!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snow still avoiding us somehow!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Glad you are all getting snow, We will definatly have a white christmas, 7 1/2inches of snow here and everything is still covered....Still very cold as well but not as cold as Scotland is! Merry Christmas everybody except CMD :) haha .....where of course i mean merry christmas to him and his family . :)

Shut it Disco-Boy!! :good:

How's tricks?

Shuggs, rail travel is looking grim:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/public/scotrail.shtml

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

I'm wondering how Scotrail will be coping - was ok this morning on the commute up to Dundee, but I do have to get home again... Looking at the live departure boards online at Waverley it's looking erm not good...

First ppn approaching Dundee. I'm glued to the window lol.

Hi Shuggee,

I hope you remebered to pull on pair o' Leslie Crowthers this morning before venturing oot doorsrofl.gif

Big Innes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Don't get me started on our communal battery of ad-hoc met tests Pete ... we'll be here all day and I still have presents to buy, wine to drink, a film to go to ... and every other spare second is given to weather watching !

:) I was going to mention that one, yesterday...Aren't we a bunch of anoraks!!! :)

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Snizzling here, but I'm sure Hiya could confirm that there is heavier snow over Cupar at the moment.

Posted

Doesn't look like its doing much. Looks good on the radar but generally here its just sub-zero snizzling and an infrequent moderate 10 minute spell.

Not complaining, I'm more concerned about holding onto what we have over the weekend (looks like we will). The danger of days like this in Embra/Leith is that the freezing cold gets pushed away by relatively mild north sea air. Any on-shore flow today though seems non-agressive and slack, and unwanted warming doesn't look to be on the cards. I'll be happy enough to get to dusk though and another cold night to keep bedding the cold in !

Edit: just seen my 3rd flock of geese in 24 hours heading south. Bit of a cliche I know (might even have been the same geese LOL !). Bit of an old-wives tale to add into the mix of things that are happening out there :good:

They obviously "know" whats coming up in the next week or two :good:

Edited by by-tor

Posted

-1C and heavy snow - huge flakes, lying as they hit the ground.

Posted

-1C and heavy snow - huge flakes, lying as they hit the ground.

Our temps seem to have riser over the last hour or so. Car is reading 3.5 degrees. Hopefully the showers will drop the temp as they cross.

Posted

I'll be happy if they can forecast it correctly at all JS, let alone to a Glasgow /Edinburgh timescale. I usually find their predictions of when rain or snow will "arrive" to be way off the mark.

Nowcasting ... looking out windows and at the radar ... its the only way !

BBC 24 just showed the forecasted snow tomrrow evening. Looks like they think abut 7pm in Glasgow and 10pm into Edinburgh. Between 5-10 cms, more over high ground

Edit: mettofice have taken down the warnings for today I see. Hope they know what they're doing !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Snizzling here, but I'm sure Hiya could confirm that there is heavier snow over Cupar at the moment.

No he can't cause he is in Dundee! Heading home in about an hour.

Mrs Hiya can comfirm there is intermittent snow in Cupar.

By-Tor, those geese are flying south because of what has happened, not what is going to happen. Snow covering the ground means they can't feed and ice on the lochs and marshes where they roast means the foxes can walk out and get them.

Posted

Understood Hiya, I was merely joshing !!! :good:

No he can't cause he is in Dundee! Heading home in about an hour.

Mrs Hiya can comfirm there is intermittent snow in Cupar.

By-Tor, those geese are flying south because of what has happened, not what is going to happen. Snow covering the ground means they can't feed and ice on the lochs and marshes where they roast means the foxes can walk out and get them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Haddington, North Berwick etc must be getting pasted

we certainly were , 13cm now in the back garden. Snow has stopped for now but the journey down from gifford was a trechourous one , some old fella abandoned his car and the A199 along to east linton is hazardous because of freezing fog.

Just about to upload some pics into the snow pics section of the forum , take a look if u want , they were takin in the last 20 mins

Posted

Edit: mettofice have taken down the warnings for today I see. Hope they know what they're doing !

Not sure they do really. Their forecasts are all over the place, and have been for the last few weeks, with the text summary not matching up to the graphical forecast which doesn't match with the tv forecasts. Still fairly heavy snow here, giving another cm or so on top of what we already had. The showers off the coast of Fife look pretty heavy at the moment, so we may get a few inches out of this after all! I was a bit unsure what would happen today 12 hours ago as the band moved north and threatened to fragment but now there looks to be quite a bit of snow potential around, particularly for Fife at the moment!

Going out for a meal in Cupar now

Happy Holidays!

LS

Posted

Looks like we can expect more showers then next week LOL ! Reading between the lines, ongoing cold to continue as we all pretty much expected.

UK Outlook for Tuesday 29 Dec 2009 to Thursday 7 Jan 2010:Scotland and Northern England should have sunny spells on Tuesday and Wednesday with occasional showers. These should be most frequent in the Northeast and could also fall as sleet or snow. Frost and freezing fog is possible overnight. Further south it is likely to be wet and windy with a risk of snow for Wales and the Midlands. This clearing to wintry showers during Wednesday. Temperatures are expected to be briefly mild in the far south but cold elsewhere. The rest of the period will have sunny spells but also wintry showers. Some longer spells of rain, sleet of snow are possible, although inland Central parts should see some good dry and sunny interludes. It will be cold or very cold with hard overnight frosts.

Updated: 1212 on Thu 24 Dec 2009

Posted

East Lothian just got a mention on BBC News 24 a minute ago and more snow is expected for eastern scotland yahoo.gif

pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27587540@N02/sets/72157622937408511/

Edited by Calum

Posted

Mate, who are we going to believe .. these lads and lassies in a TV studio 400 miles away ... or our own eyes and the network of keen observers here on this site :good:

East Lothian just got a mention on BBC News 24 a minute ago and more snow is expected for eastern scotland yahoo.gif

Posted

Godammit, my temps has risen to -6. It can only mean one thing. MORE SNOW!!

As for tomorrow evening - it looks like a snowfest as the ppn from the south west meets the embedded cold air head-on.

Posted

Doesn't look like its doing much. Looks good on the radar but generally here its just sub-zero snizzling and an infrequent moderate 10 minute spell.

Not complaining, I'm more concerned about holding onto what we have over the weekend (looks like we will). The danger of days like this in Embra/Leith is that the freezing cold gets pushed away by relatively mild north sea air. Any on-shore flow today though seems non-agressive and slack, and unwanted warming doesn't look to be on the cards. I'll be happy enough to get to dusk though and another cold night to keep bedding the cold in !

Edit: just seen my 3rd flock of geese in 24 hours heading south. Bit of a cliche I know (might even have been the same geese LOL !). Bit of an old-wives tale to add into the mix of things that are happening out there laugh.gif

They obviously "know" whats coming up in the next week or two laugh.gif

Thats funny cause we have seen 2 flocks of geese going south

Posted

Mate, who are we going to believe .. these lads and lassies in a TV studio 400 miles away ... or our own eyes and the network of keen observers here on this site good.gif

that's a good point

forgot to mention minimum temp here in haddington last night was -9.2C

Edited by Calum

Posted

moderate snowfall here just now , how much are we expecting in eastern scotland tommorow?

Edited by Calum