Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 7

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Either a horrid recording error or the wackiest inversion to end all wacky inversions !

Morning all. Now -7.1C here with cloud building from the east bringing what must surely be snow, given the temperature is way below freezing. Did anyone see Aviemore recording rain and -14C?!

Posted

Same here in Leith (well its East Embra isn't it). Light powdery stuff falling into minus quite-a-lot degrees centigrade. Positively continental ! Winds are very light so doesn't look like we'll get any unwanted local warming from the estuary

That ticks another 2 boxes here to add to the catalogue of this brilliant cold spell.

• Day 8 of snow falling (consecutive days)
  • Snow has attacked us from the East, the North, the West, the South-West. the North (again) and now the South-East.

Don't know how much we'll get from all of this but its just another Xmas-Eve bonus.

Edit: getting heavier...

Looks like quite a few snow showers have clumped together just to the south east of Edinburgh.

Posted

Morning all. Now -7.1C here with cloud building from the east bringing what must surely be snow, given the temperature is way below freezing. Did anyone see Aviemore recording rain and -14C?!

Looks like a good spell of snow developing to our east!!drinks.gifdrinks.gif

Posted

Yup, looks like there could even be a bonus dusting through the central/lanarkshire corridor as well. :drinks:

This spell is making me nostaglic for the late 70s/early-mid 80.... just lots of cold stuff and crazy little events happening all the time. A real reminder of what winter can be like at these latitudes, even in Scotland.

Looks like quite a few snow showers have clumped together just to the south east of Edinburgh.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

-7C here and mostly cloudy. Low of -9.3C is lowest in my garden since 2006.

My mum up in Aberfeldy had her second sub -14C, coldest since 2001.

Posted

Visited the NorthEast England thread about 30 minutes ago. Reports of the event ranging from dissipating/snizzle, to freezing rain, to 5 cms or so of snow. So a good chance for many of us in East/Central areas to land something during the day. And with no negative effect on snow cover whatever happens (Xmas Day itself must be preserved at all costs !)

Eyes to the skys, noses to the radar and good luck !

Completely and utterly non-weather related. But there are going to be a few angry Xmas eve shoppers trying to get into Glasgow from the east today, since this is the pic of the westbound tunnel at Charing Cross. M 8 Closed...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

anyone think perth will get some of these snow showers?

You've got a chance, but I reckon they'd have to come via here to get to you considering the direction they're coming from, and we have nothing yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The period around Boxing Day could be interesting: v little wind, -4-5C uppers, and a lot of underlying very cold air. It could do anything! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

lomond let me know if u get them plz

Will do.biggrin.gif

The period around Bozing Day could be interesting: v little wind, -4-5C uppers, and a lot of underlying very cold air. It could do anything! :yahoo:

BBC seem still to be going for rain on Boxing Day. Surely some chance of snow???

Posted

BBC seem still to be going for rain on Boxing Day. Surely some chance of snow???

The uppers are not conduicive for snow as they will be around -2 to -4 in many places BUT as long as the surface conditions are favourable, it doesn't matter. One of the worst snowfalls for England and Wales in 63 occured with uppers around -3, as did the snow in Glasgow on the 12 March 2006. The FAX charts put the 528 dam line just south of the central belt by 12pm on Boxing Day, meaning the PPN would most likely be snow across central and northern areas. Remember, while low uppers are required for snowfall at the beginning of a cold spell, one the cold is in place it's hard to shift at the surface, so uppers can be relatively high and still have snow.

Posted

Morning guys and well done to everyone on ths thread for making it so informative. Who needs the met office !

It does remind me very much of an 80's winter as well. 8 days of falling snow and no real end to the cold weather in sight !rolleyes.gif

Merry Christmas

Posted

Completely and utterly non-weather related. But there are going to be a few angry Xmas eve shoppers trying to get into Glasgow from the east today, since this is the pic of the westbound tunnel at Charing Cross. M 8 Closed...

Should only be closed for a wee while. Closing each side in turn to remove the icicles from the roof of the tunnel!!!!

Posted

Should only be closed for a wee while. Closing each side in turn to remove the icicles from the roof of the tunnel!!!!

And no warning for ice??nonono.gifcold.gif

Posted

The uppers are not conduicive for snow as they will be around -2 to -4 in many places BUT as long as the surface conditions are favourable, it doesn't matter. One of the worst snowfalls for England and Wales in 63 occured with uppers around -3, as did the snow in Glasgow on the 12 March 2006. The FAX charts put the 528 dam line just south of the central belt by 12pm on Boxing Day, meaning the PPN would most likely be snow across central and northern areas. Remember, while low uppers are required for snowfall at the beginning of a cold spell, one the cold is in place it's hard to shift at the surface, so uppers can be relatively high and still have snow.

Why do the BBC forcasters not know/implement this theory then? Is ther any point in them even existing if they cant recognise easy weather forecasting like this?

Posted

And no warning for ice??nonono.gifcold.gif

Reports now in for closed both ways with diversion as icicles a little bigger than they thought!

LS Given up looking at Mto warnings, or lack of, only use NW now.

Posted

I'm philosophical if it happens...even the metoffice get it right sometimes LOL. But I'm not really buying it. Uppers may get a bit higher than we've had this past week , and possible that surface temperatures could be higher than we've had for a few days in these parts . But up to what ... 3 or 4c ? The ground is freezing now. The worst case to me is looking like some mushing of the snow cover that could change it from its current pristine state to a crustier, patchier scene when it re-freezes and the next cold setup takes over.

If I had to place a bet with myself, then I expect to be looking out of my window and still seeing todays white on the ground (on the grass at least, in some form or another) somewhere in my field of vision come Saturday/Sunday. I can guarantee the 6 foot 8 snowman we made will still be there anyway !