Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Heavy(ish) rain before which turned to sleet. Looked like large raindrops, but definitely melting snowflakes on the car windscreen. :clap:

Posted

weird 36 hours here, been pretty cold, quite a bit of rain, yet still snow and ice on the floor. quite amazing really. I think some snow will last through untill the next lot now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Since the rain started the temp has risen from 1.4 to 2.4 here. I can't see it happening, maybee only on the back edge if the colder air digs in enough.

My thoughts turn back to around 1984 when there was snow on the gound for over a week. It rained all day and turned to snow in the evening. 9 inches fell rapidly and its still the heaviest snow I have seen, but it was virtually gone by morning as much warmer air followed.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Heavy to moderate rain/sleet here right on the coast. Ice still in abundance making walking almost impossible and set to get worse overnight as temperatures are expected to fall sub-zero. Roll on the fresh snowfall especially new years eve/day. I think the last 'major' snowfall around these parts was 78-79 and i remember that well, actually not that well as it was the 1st new years that i was out with friends and got 'propa' drunk....at least i had a soft cushion of snow to fall on..!!!

Ppn looks to be turning more wintry now with hail and the odd 'wet' snowflake, i expect this will soon fall as snow(if not already) further inland and over elevated areas. Windy too...

Edited by NL

Posted

Getting heavier here, but no sign of flakes at 2.3C. There is virtually no wind. I have a feeling higher parts of nothumberland and Durham are going to do well off this

Posted

Since the rain started the temp has risen from 1.4 to 2.4 here. I can't see it happening, maybee only on the back edge if the colder air digs in enough.

My thoughts turn back to around 1984 when there was snow on the gound for over a week. It rained all day and turned to snow in the evening. 9 inches fell rapidly and its still the heaviest snow I have seen, but it was virtually gone by morning as much warmer air followed.

Just talking about your comment re 1984, we only have to actually go back to February 2005 for a week of lying snow - here I recorded 9 snow days in a row and 11 out of 12. Might have been a bit different at your place.

Right here right now, we are already talking 11 days straight snow cover. There has been a BIG thaw here today, 4mm of snow has melted into my rain gauge. There is still appreciable depth but I'm worried about the damage that a long spell of moderate/heavy rain will do to the much softened snow cover.

It is 2.8º here, with a dew point of 0.0º and according to the radar rain is on our doorstep.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Getting heavier here, but no sign of flakes at 2.3C. There is virtually no wind. I have a feeling higher parts of nothumberland and Durham are going to do well off this

Snowing again here now, but there's also been rain and sleet.

Temps and dewpoints look favourable over in Consett (Temp 0.2C, Dewpoint -0.1C)

That station is only about 20 meters higher than here so hopefully similar here.

I think it'll get very icy tonight after this clears.

Edit: Consett now at 0.1C, dewpoint -0.3C, so improving.

http://www.trafficweather.info/roadWeather/rwisMap.jsp?client=19

Posted

Just talking about your comment re 1984, we only have to actually go back to February 2005 for a week of lying snow - here I recorded 9 snow days in a row and 11 out of 12. Might have been a bit different at your place.

Right here right now, we are already talking 11 days straight snow cover. There has been a BIG thaw here today, 4mm of snow has melted into my rain gauge. There is still appreciable depth but I'm worried about the damage that a long spell of moderate/heavy rain will do to the much softened snow cover.

It is 2.8º here, with a dew point of 0.0º and according to the radar rain is on our doorstep.

Yes you are right, but I was not saying 84 was the last time it happened, just that today - with the temp hovering just above 0 and rain getting heavier reminded me of then. Looking at the temps across scotland, the colder air does not seem to be right behind the band of ppn. I think the snow is reserved for higher ground, but the heavier ppn is on the East. Prehaps another one for the NY Moors....

Posted

First signs of sleet here. Turning to heavy ppn, temp has just dropped 0.5c to 1.7c. I cant see it falling another 2 deg though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Snowing a bit heavier now and starting to settle.

Just been for a run:

Consett (275m) snowing and settling

Medomsley Edge (235m) snowing and misty (possibly the 0C air temp level) and settling

Shotley Station (185m) sleety wet snow settling locally

Shotley Bridge (105m) rain/sleet.

freezin level seemed to be slightly lowering over the past hour or so.

Posted

Just been for a run:

Consett (275m) snowing and settling

Medomsley Edge (235m) snowing and misty (possibly the 0C air temp level) and settling

Shotley Station (185m) sleety wet snow settling locally

Shotley Bridge (105m) rain/sleet.

freezin level seemed to be slightly lowering over the past hour or so.

Interesting, i'm about the same height as Shotley Station and have the same conditions. Snowing heavily now with big flakes, struggling to settle on the wet roads and pavements though. Might have a drive up to Consett then onto the moors sometime tomorrow.

Just starting to settle on the road now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Temperature rose from 2.6C to 3.5C in Cleadon as the rain advanced from the north, but it has turned sleety on its northern flank. Interestingly, none of the last four days have had a maximum as high as the 23rd December (which got up to 3.8C) but there's been a more significant thaw, illustrating the effects of rainfall and high dewpoints.

Less than 50% cover here now, making it 10 successive Met Office snow days, the longest such run since February 1991.

Posted

Just checked the latest GFS run and still a chance of snow for us as the rain from the LP mixes with the colder air. Looks like a situation where height could play a big part.

After that we could get plenty of snow showers on a NE wind.

The Met Office update is also quite promising, for the 3 to 5 day period...

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

Cold and cloudy on Tuesday with perhaps some snow overnight. Wednesday and Thursday stay very cold with further snow showers.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_weather.html

Posted

Rain has completely stopped here and temp at 1.5c. Looks like a few sleet showers to follow before the place turns into an ice rink.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Heavy rain here but ice refusing to budge! and now the temp and dew point is dropping can it snow ohmy.gif Temp = 1.9C Dew Point= 0.2C at 4:38

Edited by Snowstorm1