Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

It's very much snow here even though net weather radar says sleet. Temp is below freezing and it's lying on the roads, especially where untreated. No more than a few mm though, very light falls atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Precip has arced around Cleadon for the last three hours (most of it to the S and W, a little bit to the N) so it has stayed dry here, meaning that I have missed out by the slenderest of margins on having a bookies' "white Christmas" with snow falling. Temps are now too marginal with 0.7C and dewpoint creeping above freezing. Still, a good 2cm has persisted on the ground all day.

Posted

Hoooorrrraaaaaayyyyy !!!!

It's got here, at last. Very light snow visible under the lamppost, so we too have an "official" white Crimbo.

Now looking forward to next week, travelling down to my mother's in Bedfordshire tomorrow and due to come back Tuesday. Could be an interesting journey home if things get a bit progressive, which they do have a habit of doing in these kind of set-ups.

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Well its been an official white christmas here as we had a snow shower around 11.30pm. We have got a good covering of snow on the ground which we've had since last thursday so this cold spell is exceptional in that respect. We haven't had lying snow this long since new year 96/97 I believe.

I think if we keep the lying snow for the next few days and we get the next cold spell which looks fairly likely, we may end up with around three weeks lying snow which would be truely exceptional. Certainly the higher parts of the region (and parts of Scotland) are looking at a long spell of lying snow.

I thought that we would of probably of had a thaw yesterday but instead we had a few more cm's of snow yesterday morning and temps didn't rise above 1c today. Just shows what embedded cold can do.

Merry Christmas everyone.

SW

Edited by Snow White

would the last few years Winters throw a fly in the global warming 'theory' (not merely an Earth cycle) ointment if I said the North East is back to business as usual now? * dons tin hat *

Edited by hannegan

Posted

At 11-30 Christmas night we had a very light shower of snow grains which is still visible this morning on the car- so technically constitutes a white Christmas but the snow on the ground yesterday made it a proper one for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It was 3.1C here last time I checked.

Posted

thanks tws.

Could you give me a round up of the latest developments with the models? Just got back from family Xmas and out the loop!

Couple of photos attached.

post-2491-12618392500813_thumb.jpg

post-2491-12618392746113_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

happy xmas all.

has my thermometer gone wrong or was it really 5.2oC today?

I only got a 2.3C here. :/

Posted

mine is still reading 1.8oC at the mo.

My car temp read 5oC also, so both cant be wrong surely. Anyway, still snow about in town which is pretty amazing. more than a week of lying snow hasnt happened for yonks.

Posted

This ice cover is proving remarkably resistant- despite temperatures of 3C and rain, tomorrow is looking set to be the 10th successive Met Office snow day. To be honest this ice is accumulating nuisance value and I'd rather it either melts soon or gets topped up by a fresh snowfall (ideally the former followed quickly by the latter), but neither look likely for a good few days!

Model outputs are uncertain with cold air gathering from the north over N Scotland and milder air trying to push up from the SW resulting in a large area of frontal rain (turning to sleet/snow on its northern flank) pushing across parts of Britain. The UKMO model is out on its own at the moment, sending those lows and associated rain right across the country. GFS and ECMWF have it to the south, giving the North East sunshine and a few wintry showers on 27th/28th December, probably cloudy on the 29th/30th with rain, sleet and snow towards the south of the region, and then sunshine and snow showers heading in from the northeast on the 31st. But if the low ends up further south, sunshine and snow showers through to the month's end would be a likely assessment, with accumulations probable on the 30th/31st.

So again a lot of uncertainty but mild remains the outside bet.

Posted

Well,shock horror! it actually rained here today just before midday,how dare it!

According to the radar there is a band of heavy showers spreading towards us from the southwest which could be wintry,but more especially on hills as temperatures and dewpoints are very marginal.

Met office have a warning out for icy roads once the showers have cleared away.

Posted

A nice chunk of weather heading down towards our region from scotland.

Conditions for snow look marginal at best,but could be interesting if the precipitation is heavy enough which could bring the snow down to lower levels.

Incidentally,the same band of weather left about 10 inches of snow in the perth area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

A nice chunk of weather heading down towards our region from scotland.

Conditions for snow look marginal at best,but could be interesting if the precipitation is heavy enough which could bring the snow down to lower levels.

Incidentally,the same band of weather left about 10 inches of snow in the perth area.

they will fall as rain here and im the optimist! temp = 2.4C dew point = 0.8C at 11:43 On the other hand there is a slight chance whistling.gif

Posted

they will fall as rain here and im the optimist! temp = 2.4C dew point = 0.8C at 11:43 On the other hand there is a slight chance whistling.gif

It is just a small chance,but at least it will be frozen up again by morning.:drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I was watching that on the radar last night, it just stopped over that area for hours.

Amazing photos from Aberfeldy...

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/

I'm on holiday in that area every Autumn, just wish I was there now!

Posted

I was watching that on the radar last night, it just stopped over that area for hours.

Amazing photos from Aberfeldy...

http://www.aberfeldyweather.com/

I'm on holiday in that area every Autumn, just wish I was there now!

holy cow, thats alot of snow!

Posted

In Cramlington at the moment the temp is +1.9c with a dew point of 0.0c just hope the the band hits when dark to see if it cools down a bit

TONY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

That is just an insane snowfall! Was it forecast?

There was a warning out for 5-10cm, but they didn't predict anything like that!

From the link...

Cloudy, odd sunny bit, very cold. Snow overnight, much more than forecast.

Aberfeldy is only 100m asl, just shows it could happen to us one day!