Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

No change in intensity but the flakes are huge. And the models this morning look good for our location. It's a shame i'm skiing from the 27th to the 3rd because it look like I'll miss it!

Posted

Ne'er a flake has been seen since last I reported,just cold and overcast,the radar shows the snow very near now but close by it is falling as sleet,not to worry the outlook is cold and snowy . A merry Christmas to all and here's to a snowy New Year.

Posted

No change in intensity but the flakes are huge. And the models this morning look good for our location. It's a shame i'm skiing from the 27th to the 3rd because it look like I'll miss it!

Looks like another day of very heavy snow for north easterners again, a band of heavy snow just about to hit newcastle/sunderland with about 2 hrs of snow then another band of heavy snow following on behind just above york atm but heading that way

Surprised there is not a severe weather warning for snow as it is only icy roads atm on the Met site whereas 5 hrs of heavy snow from 2 bands is looking like wreaking havoc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Been snowing here for at least 30 mins now, getting gradually heavier. First decent snowfall since Saturday night here :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There was a dusting of fresh snow in Cleadon at about 4am, before the band fizzled out. Currently sleety rain and 0.4C, so not making much impact on the old snow cover but the new dusting has almost gone.

Edit: checking the radar, must have been right on the edge of where it fizzled out- about 5-10 miles further south probably got a few cm from that 3-4am dolloping, yet nothing just 5-10 miles further north! Can't help feeling a bit robbed here- another few centimetres would have guaranteed Cleadon a white Christmas and saved some of the nerves when the inevitable thaw sets in this afternoon.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

There was a dusting of fresh snow in Cleadon at about 4am, before the band fizzled out. Currently sleety rain and 0.4C, so not making much impact on the old snow cover but the new dusting has almost gone.

I would think that we have a slightly better chance than you to get some snowfall but even here sleet or cold rain is a possibility.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

thought it was all over this morning, light sleety rain which was freezing on impact. In the last 5 minutes however it has turned to moderate snow and it is settling easily.

Also, I've just looked at the models and very surprised to see the cold weather returning as early as Sunday after a milder Boxing Day :yahoo:

Edited by alza

Posted

Well we did well last Night, especially the Leeds and Bradford area, just been snowing very heavy for an hour. Did the band last night hit you guys?

Anyway the depth here:

Grass-19cm

Ground-14cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It gave everywhere to the south of Cleadon a few cm and gave everywhere from Cleadon northwards a dusting or nothing by the looks of it! It appears that at the moment coastal areas are getting rain with temperatures a fraction above freezing while inland parts are getting mainly snow.

Posted

where did this second band come from? outta nowhere

very sleety though, 0.2oC as well.

Edited by izi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Drizzle here but just been out in the car and it's definitely frozen hitting the windscreen.

The next area of precip looks like it'll go round me in a circle. We're picking up more of a easterly feed so it might fall as rain anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Lovely I woke to falling snow and went to middlesbrough in it and it stopped for 30minuites but now it is snowing again. ive got a lovely deep thick covering :) WHITE CHRISTMAS ANYONE ? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

wow temperature rising quickly... 1.1oC what is it in durham?

Not rising as quickly for me, 0.8°C. Pretty close though I suppose.

And everything is wet with snow thawing :)

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I hope that was the last of the snow because temperatures now are marginal 1C temp -0.3C dewpoint when that drops it can come bk tongue.gif

So is there any more snow i remember TWS talking about it been marginal is there going to be more snow tonight? :) and set a lovely tone for christmas day. :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Chance of some snow showers filtering down the east coast tonight from SE Scotland but as the wind will be very light it's unclear how far south they will get- Tyne & Wear is touch & go, Stockton probably too far south.

Still just 0.9C here in Cleadon, which surprises me, I was expecting 2 or 3C by this stage, but then again the wind isn't off the sea yet.

Posted

TWS - can i get your opinion on the propects for the NE if the current synopsis comes off?

If it delivers a strong NE'ly wind, then normally anyone 50 miles of the east coast gets a pasting. However, in the model discussion thread, people are talking about midlands/wales etc. What am I missing?