Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

reef

Posted

This rather thin but heavy band of snow is delivering big style. It has been snowing moderately for about 40 minutes and there looks to be about 2cm fresh snow down. I'll leave measuring until it stops as I don't want to spoil the virgin snow until it has finished!

Posted

This rather thin but heavy band of snow is delivering big style. It has been snowing moderately for about 40 minutes and there looks to be about 2cm fresh snow down. I'll leave measuring until it stops as I don't want to spoil the virgin snow until it has finished!

We got 5-7cm from that, hopefully you will do well.

Posted

It is very slow moving and I reckon we are approximately half way through our snow, I'm thinking 5-7cm will be par for here too. Really big flakes too.

Posted

It is more or less over now, just light snizzle. One hour and 20 minutes of snow so far has produced 4.5cm snow, and tops us up to 9-10cm.

That'll do for me, it'll look nice and fresh in the morning.

Posted

Well I'm off to bed but it looks like those further north are in for a treat as the band which has more or less passed through my location has really started to fatten out again and really pep up. I wouldn't be surprised to see some people get 10cm out of this now.

Hannegan you're going to get pasted mate, I reckon you're in for double what I got looking at the radar. Night night!

Well I'm off to bed but it looks like those further north are in for a treat as the band which has more or less passed through my location has really started to fatten out again and really pep up. I wouldn't be surprised to see some people get 10cm out of this now.

Hannegan you're going to get pasted mate, I reckon you're in for double what I got looking at the radar. Night night!

and a merry xmas to u with that news mate...sleep well man

Posted

I'm yet to see any heavy snow in my crappy location....maybe this band will deliver? Thus far its light to moderate....

Unless my parents are telling me fibs, and I delayed them coming down until Boxing Day rather sensibly, rather than last weekend I think they have had a fair bit of snow in Yarm. Tops we had 7 inches, now an icey mush of about 2-3 inches.

Posted

no cars have traveled the main road,it's covered and apprx an inch has fallen fresh so far...not a breath of wind though

Lucky you.

Its gone light intensity on me now lol

EDIT - Its fluctuating quite a bit; just shows that the band is continuing to pep-up on its eastern flank.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Lucky you.

Its gone light intensity on me now lol

EDIT - Its fluctuating quite a bit; just shows that the band is continuing to pep-up on its eastern flank.

yes PP your forecast is about spot on....still heavy snow at the moment re maybe Western flank?

Edited by hannegan

Posted

yes PP your forecast is about spot on....still heavy snow at the moment re maybe Western flank?

You are on the eastern-flank too. The western flank (towards Cumbria) has virtually died.

Here its basically been very light snow (drizzle-intensity) for the past 10 minutes. Yep..its rapidly decaying now. Dissapointing...

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

so i just happened to wake up to look out side to see freezing rain, -1.6oC and drizzle in newcastle. The band has fizzled as expected.

oh well... just out luck in newcastle!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Weve got some moderate freezing rain here .. strange stuff that is and ive only seen it once before where it actually form sheet ice. Not doing that right now though.

Oops wrong threaddoh.gif

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Any reports from Stanley/Consett area?

I'm down in Jarrow now with nothing but i'll be driving up to work in Consett soon, looks like Stanley got some heavy snow for a time on the radar.

Posted

We've had a bucketload here in Darlington, at least 5-6cm on the car, good job I left the brush in the porch laugh.gif

Have a good journey to work, the roads were very slippy here at 6am, car said it was -1°C cold.gif

Posted

Snowing again in Darlington, pretty heavy but small flakes. This should be an interesting drive over to work! I must say, the amounts we've got overnight have really surprised me. Considering Darlington is low lying and that we've missed out over the years thanks to pretty marginal setups its great to see some decent snow depths for a change :cold:.

Posted

The snow overnight has left us with about another 4-5cm. Not 5 inches in Ferryhill as Colin Briggs reported on the 6:30 BBC local news.

You shouldn't be far off though?

It's snowing lightly again and we've had 6cm fresh overnight. Average snow depth is 10.5cm, that's four inches.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Not much extra here in Consett, but it is snowing now. We could get more out of this than the band last night I think.

Came through some rain and drizzle on the way up here so maybe those low down could lose some of their snowcover today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

A few cms this through the night which I missed and then moderate to light snow this morning giving a top up. Very nice scenes.