Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office Snow Days

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

44 days total so far this season. Max level snow depth 25". Very little drifting here in the valley, obviously plenty on hills. Yest was last day with 50%, but surrounding hills all still full and deep cover.

• 1 month later...

Just a bump to this, it would be very interesting to see how many Snow day different places have had for the 2009/10 winter (so far).

Here we have had 21, and I am sure many people will be able to smash this record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

So far, Cleadon has had 27, and Norwich has had 22.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

As per my signature.....but thats only January and February, add an extra 2 for December aswell.

That makes my little town of Bangor "By the sea" 14 Meto snow days.

Edited by The watcher

Just a bump to this, it would be very interesting to see how many Snow day different places have had for the 2009/10 winter (so far).

Here we have had 21, and I am sure many people will be able to smash this record.

We had 25 (or something like that) in Dec/Jan and are onto our 7th in a row now. Although only 5 of them were in UK Met winter. Now two days of Met-O snow cover in Met-O "spring".

So 30 in winter and now 2 in "spring" if you want to call it that. I don't see the snow going anywhere very fast so at least 2 more snow days to go, probably 4 or more if this weather holds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

45 mornings with lying snow here in winter which is the most since 1985/86 which had 1 more. 1995/96 had 44.

53 days with sleet or snow falling which is the most in any winter since my records started here in 1977. This winter was notable for the frequency of days with small amounts of snow falling.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

24 days with snow lying here, all mainly small amounts, the deepest being 7.0cm.

Easily the snowiest winter since I began keeping records in 2005.

2005–2006 = 2

2006-2007 = 3

2007-2008 = 0

2008–2009 = 13

2009–2010 = 24

Posted

25 for here with 16cm being the deepest=the 3rd highest ever in this area (1943 on) and another of 7cm.

So the snowiest winter since 1985-86 with 29; 1978-79 had 31; 1976-77 27; 1969-70 30; 1962-63 41; 1955-56 27; 1954-55 26; 1946-47 33.

Thus this winter is in quite good company and certainly way ahead of anything over the past 25 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

So far, Cleadon has had 27, and Norwich has had 22.

Further to this, while I don't have stats for Norwich, I can be reasonably certain that Cleadon has had by far its highest frequency of "snow days" since 1985/86, and probably the second highest since 1978/79 although 1981/82 will have run it close.

Since the high 1985/86 total was heavily bolstered by frequent light snowfalls in February 1986, it seems pretty likely that this is Cleadon's most notable winter for snow events since 1978/79, boasting an aggregate depth of 24cm on 9 January and a 16cm snowfall on the 29th/30th January.

• 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Well, here on the banks of the river wear, here are our 71-00 averages:

January 5

February 4

March 2

November 1

December 2

And here is 2011 so far

January 0 (-5)

February 0 (-4)

March 0 (-2)

November 0 (-1)

Hmmm.

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted

Well, here on the banks of the river wear, here are our averages:

January 5

February 4

March 2

November 1

December 2

And here is 2011 so far

January 0 (-5)

February 0 (-4)

March 0 (-2)

November 0 (-1)

Hmmm.

Are there any sites that have snow day averages for UK cities?

Well 2011 so far...

January = 6

Febuary = 3

March = 3

November = 0

December = ?

So far 12 snow days this year!!!

Looks like there will be no snow in November but really that's pretty normal and I'm far more likely to get snow in March.

• 11 months later...
Posted

After 2 snow lying days last winter, surely one of the worst, if not the worst for snow lying, and a snow-lying less period from December 27 2010 to December 17 2011. Only 1 snow lying day here in ALL of 2011! So far we've had 2 this year (February 5 and this morning).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well done IF, better than 2011 already. good.gif

My question, which I suspect will sound daft, but how do they (MetO) determine which date to allocate the snow lying? As an example, if it snowed yesterday at 9:02am, remained all through the daylight hours and was gone by 9am the next day, does this not count? In other words, snow was theorhetorically lying throughout the previous day but gone the next. cc_confused.gif

I suspect I know the answer but can somebody please confirm my suspicions, either way. hi.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Last winter, we had snow lying from 4th February to 11th of 12th.

Personally I just keep snow records how I want to since I only collect data as a hobby and have no intentions of sending them to the Met or anything. Though the above does count 50% of the ground covered.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

My question, which I suspect will sound daft, but how do they (MetO) determine which date to allocate the snow lying? As an example, if it snowed yesterday at 9:02am, remained all through the daylight hours and was gone by 9am the next day, does this not count? In other words, snow was theorhetorically lying throughout the previous day but gone the next. cc_confused.gif

I suspect I know the answer but can somebody please confirm my suspicions, either way. hi.gif

If, at 9am, there is 50% or more snow lying, that is a snow day, otherwise, it is not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yes, that's one of the idiosyncracies of the 0900-0900 meteorological day and, as Isolated Frost states, would not count as a day with snow lying.

On the other side of the coin I've occasionally had days where a snow shower has started around 0845 and put down a cover by 0900 which has then melted by 0930; this still counts as a day with snow lying even though all the 24 hours before and after it were snow free.

I suppose it would make more sense to take a day with snow lying as one with more than 50% cover for more than 50% of the 24 hours but, as the current system has been in place for well over 100 years, it would ruin the continuity of records to change it.

The main thing to bear in mind is, if you're comparing your records to others, that everyone needs to stick to the same system of recording and ignore the anomalies it throws up.

The rainfall day ending on 0900 on the 1st of the following month is another anomaly which has been mentioned elsewhere. It's theoretically possible to have a completely rainless calendar month only for rain to fall between midnight on the last day and 0900 on the 1st and be counted in the total for the'rainless' month.

Yet another one is the duplication of very low minima. After a very cold night it's possible for the temperature to be, for example, -10c at 0900 on a given day. If milder weather moves in during the day, displacing the cold air, the temperature could rise to 10c by evening and remain around 10c for the whole of the next night and into the following morning. However the minimum for the second day will show as -10c as that was the temperature at 0900, the start of the meteorological day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes, that's one of the idiosyncracies of the 0900-0900 meteorological day and, as Isolated Frost states, would not count as a day with snow lying.

On the other side of the coin I've occasionally had days where a snow shower has started around 0845 and put down a cover by 0900 which has then melted by 0930; this still counts as a day with snow lying even though all the 24 hours before and after it were snow free.

I suppose it would make more sense to take a day with snow lying as one with more than 50% cover for more than 50% of the 24 hours but, as the current system has been in place for well over 100 years, it would ruin the continuity of records to change it.

The main thing to bear in mind is, if you're comparing your records to others, that everyone needs to stick to the same system of recording and ignore the anomalies it throws up.

The rainfall day ending on 0900 on the 1st of the following month is another anomaly which has been mentioned elsewhere. It's theoretically possible to have a completely rainless calendar month only for rain to fall between midnight on the last day and 0900 on the 1st and be counted in the total for the'rainless' month.

Yet another one is the duplication of very low minima. After a very cold night it's possible for the temperature to be, for example, -10c at 0900 on a given day. If milder weather moves in during the day, displacing the cold air, the temperature could rise to 10c by evening and remain around 10c for the whole of the next night and into the following morning. However the minimum for the second day will show as -10c as that was the temperature at 0900, the start of the meteorological day.

Thanks TM, I had a mental block when attempting to work it all out the other day but it is most definitely clear now. Automated weather stations certainly have their uses but at the same time, personal observation is also paramount at times. Today for example, being a case in point with regard to the snowfall down south, where it will only tell part of the story.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-29 07:13:16 Valid: 29/03/2024 0600 - 30/03/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - FRI 29 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Difficult travel conditions as the Easter break begins

Low Nelson is throwing wind and rain at the UK before it impacts mainland Spain at Easter. Wild condtions in the English Channel, and more rain and lightning here on Thursday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-03-28 09:16:06 Valid: 28/03/2024 0800 - 29/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 28 MARCH 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F